Touchscreen Stops Working after Several Minutes

palmoyas
palmoyas Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have two identical Acer Chromebooks (both CB5-132T) that have developed the same touchscreen issue after the last Chrome OS update.  After startup, the touchscreen works fine for several minutes (amount of time seems to vary, but around 5-10 minutes or so), but then it completely stops working.  All other functions of the Chromebook are fine, including built in touchpad.  A restart fixes it for another 5-10 minutes.

I tried a powerwash and it did not fix the issue.  Since this is affecting two separate Chromebooks, it clearly isn't a hardware-specific issue.

HELP!!!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    @palmoyas
    Try the below step
    1. Turn off your Chromebook.
    2. Press and hold Refresh  + tap Power  for 30 seconds and check
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • cdmascolo
    cdmascolo Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same problem.  Neither the Refresh/Power button strategy nor a full Powerwash fixed the problem..
  • pkw
    pkw Member Posts: 69 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    It might be a bug in the update. Look around for any bug reports. The only suggestion I have is to try and downgrade to a previous ChromeOS version. You can do a powerwash and revert procedure. Or, try switching to beta channel.
  • palmoyas

Tinkerer

pkw said:
    It might be a bug in the update. Look around for any bug reports. The only suggestion I have is to try and downgrade to a previous ChromeOS version. You can do a powerwash and revert procedure. Or, try switching to beta channel.
    Where do I look for bug reports?  I'll try the beta channel option in the interim.
  • palmoyas

Tinkerer

I switched to the current beta build for Chrome OS and the issue persists.
  • pkw
    pkw Member Posts: 69 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    palmoyas said:
    Bugs are here https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list
    Try searching Google support forum.
    Downgrading to a previous ChromeOS version might help in the meantime. Search for your machine and download a previous version: https://cros-updates-serving.appspot.com/. Install using recovery tool.
  • palmoyas

Tinkerer

palmoyas said:
    FIXED!  The latest beta version has fixed the issue for my chromebooks!