What is required in order to update the PCI Express Root Port?

Options
Bobphi
Bobphi Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I have an unusual problem that possibly your experts might be able to help me with.
I can't update a Driver either manually, or by using a driver update program.

Chances are a BIOS update may be required. I tried to determine this by entering
the BIOS serial number (PTGBL02003XXXXXXX) but the Gateway site was not operational.
I entered the computer serial number on the Gateway chat site, but the number was not in their database.
I tried the FEEDBACK link but the page was not found. I tried EMAIL ASSIST, but that feature was not available.

Gateway DX4850
Product Id: 00326-10000-00000-AA386
Device Id: ED322677-5D71-4FE8-95A4-0C2E50A7F691
Memory: 6 Gb
Intel i5-2300 CPU @ 2.8 Ghz 2.80

Device Manager > System > PCI Express Root Port
Any attempt to UPDATE, DISABLE, or UNINSTALL causes the system to crash.

The system is running WIN10 Home 1809 Build 17763.1098.
WIN10 Version 1909 won't install. If this update is trying to update the PCI Express Port it will never install.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Other than that, I am quite happy with the performance and reliability of the Gateway computer.

Edited the content to hide sensitive and personal information
Acer-Samuel

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,119 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    You don't need to update drivers for PCI Express root port, please try updating to Windows 10 1909 using Windows Media creation tool, follow the instructions in the link, don't forget to choose "Keep personal files and apps".
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

• Bobphi
    Options
    First, thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I was happy to hear that the PCI Express Port doesn't need to be updated. I tried the media creation method and it failed. I have tried many different methods (about 12) and they generally end up with 'a reboot is necessary to complete the installation. I believe that even Microsoft have given up trying to update this system because now it says that I am up to date. The only updates that I receive now are for the 1809 system, so I am quite happy. Unfortunately, I still keep getting the Microsoft message warning me that my system is obsolete and nearing the end of its support life. Fortunately, this is just one of several computers that I use. The others are all up to date. I use this computer for my pictures, which I also backup on another computer. It has always had a problem with restarting. I often have to do a cold start to finish the reboot.

Cheers
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    What devices are installed in the PCI Express ports?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bobphi
    Options
    The only references in the Device Manager were: 
    2nd Generation Intel Core Processor Family PCI Express Controller - 0101
    Intel 6 series/C206 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 1C10

Devices plugged into the computer are a USB mouse, USB keyboard, and LAN.
    The only other thing plugged in is the monitor, so this is a very basic setup.

Cheers
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    They would be cards plugged in internally, not something that is on the outside. Both of the items listed are in the background, not something plugged in.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bobphi
    Options
    Thanks for the information. If I did rip it apart, I don't have sufficient knowledge to know what is plugged in. When I get some free time I will open it up and clean it up, re-seat the cards etc., but for now you can consider this item closed.