Screen Black - Acer Travelmate 5320

Reece110
Reece110 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 23 in 2020 Archives
A couple of months ago i was given a Acer Travelmate 5320 and everthink appears to work but i cannot get anything to display on the screen and external VGA does not work

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    If you don't see an ACER boot logo AND the FN+F6 and FN+F5 toggle screen combinations fail to produce a lid screen or external vga screen, then either the graphics adapter has failed or the BIOS has lost its memory. You can test the BIOS by turning off the laptop. Then press and hold the F2 key. While still holding the F2 key, press the power button. If a BIOS menu appears, press F9 to load memory defaults. Then press F10 to save settings and exit the BIOS menu.  If the laptop then boots OK, you would have to replace a small BIOS lithium coin battery on the mainboard so as to avoid the BIOS losing its memory. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,936 Trailblazer
    edited April 2020
    This is a very old Acer TravelMate laptop circa 2007, it could and might have allot of problems e.g. video card is probably what is causing your blank screen and I would suggest to only run Win-7 32 bit on it max.

Firstly try to do what "jackE" has suggested then and if that doesn't work, check that the CMOS battery is 100% and working and/or replace it first, before you do anything.

Here is a disassembly guide of this laptop at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQxoW3KL3n8 for your information

Your TravelMate 5320 comes with only one BIOS version v1.35, its CPU is either a Celeron M530 M540 or an M550 Socket P, 2GB Max RAM with 2x slots (2 banks of 1) and Intel GL960 Express Chipset, it should have a video card of an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 8MB of dedicated system RAM Up to 350MB of shared system RAM with a screen resolution of 1280 x 800 max and WiFi 802.11b/g Acer InviLink. Hope this helps

This is the mainboard for the TraveMate 5320