High fan speeds in Nitro 5 AN515-54-55E9 after NVMe install.

Options
muradjabir
muradjabir Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited April 2020 in Nitro Gaming
I recently upgraded my Nitro 5 to dual NVMe SSDs. Running on a sata bay SSD everything works fine. Adding an additional NVMe to the PCI/Ex slot works fine. But as soon as I add an additional NVMe to the second PCI/EX/SATA slot the Fan speeds rise to 5000 on Idle. NitroSense has no effect on reducing them below 5000. Other than that everything works, evend the SSD that caused the fan speed increase runs normally. I did notice that the South Bridge on Nitro 5 Laptops does not have a heat sink and runs at around 65C with all 3 SSDs/NVMes installed. Hoping someone here can shed some light as to what the issue is.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    If your OS is on the 2.5" SSD, switch it to NVMe SSD and see whether it helps, you could also try using the M.2 SSDs without the bracket, if it's possible.

• muradjabir

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks brummyfan2. My OS is on the NVMe. I found out that it was one of my NVMes that was causing the issue no matter what slot i put it on. The temperature readout from the NVMe is 46C. Anyway that shouldn't affect the fan speeds right ?  
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    No problem, what happens when you remove the brackets from the M.2 SSDs?
  • muradjabir

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks again brummyfan2, No difference in the error when brackets are removed. Quite strange behaviour.
  • muradjabir

Tinkerer

Options
    I managed to Fix the issue and thought I should post it here for anyone else facing a similar issue. And cannot claim Warranty.

Issue: High CPU fan RPM on idle even when the cpu is ~45C. Issue occours whan 2-3 SATA/NVMe drives are installed.

Cause: The PCH (Platform Hub Controller on the Acer AN515-54 has no heat sink. When 2-3 drives or multiple displays are connected it rises to ~80C. The chipset forces a fan speed on ~4500RPM if the temperature is above 60C. Its definitely either a design flaw or an issue specific to my device.

FIx: If you aren't covered by warranty and have the technical know how. Addin a heatsink to the PCH fixes the issue and drops temperatures to ~55C

• fpgsila
    fpgsila Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    muradjabir please tell us more about what and how you made the cooling plate. How to attach to regular cooling? used termoglue?
  • muradjabir

Tinkerer

Options
    fpgsila I used a strip of Aluminum and thermal paste. Held in place by by aluminum tape. However it turned out to be not enough. Running a separate heatsink now. Still doesn't fix the problem fully. Looks like the Nitro-5 isnt meant for SSDs  :/ . Its unfortunate that it doesn't work as advertised. The heatsink is off a desktop PC PCH.
  • vladimir73
    vladimir73 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I managed to Fix the issue and thought I should post it here for anyone else facing a similar issue. And cannot claim Warranty.

Yes, can you send more details?

• muradjabir

Tinkerer

Options
    vladimir73 using an NVMe SSD causes the Platform Controller Hub (PCH) to heat up beyond it ambient max of 65C. This makes the Fans run continiously at ~5000 RPM, If you stress the PCH by doing a long file transfer operation between SSDs you get a BSOD.
  • vladimir73
    vladimir73 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Is it Windows system? Did you try Ubuntu? Are drivers ok? I thought to buy the second NVMe but not sure now.
  • muradjabir

Tinkerer

Options
    vladimir73 its windows with all drivers upto date. I tried both manufacturer and generic drivers.
  • JuniorDias
    JuniorDias Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    For those who having trouble, in my case it turns out that the problem wasn't a second nvme, was THE second nvme installed. I bought a Kingspec NE-256. The fans was at its top speed no matter what I did. Dual booting Linux and Windows 10 same results. In contact with Acer Support, they asked to send the laptop only with original itens. So I tried to use only one nvme to test. In every configuration the kingspec was on, the fan didn't stop. 1 nvme, 2 nvme, slot 1, slot 2, tried it all. So I returned the Kingspec ne256 to the seller and bought an AData SX8100. The problem is gone. Had the Linux (my primary OS) on the factory 128gb nvme. The copy was on the SX8100 specs, 1200 mb/s raw sequential copy using dd.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @muradjabirusing a thermal pad over the pch wouldn't solve the problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Firelods
    Firelods Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    If your OS is on the 2.5" SSD, switch it to NVMe SSD and see whether it helps, you could also try using the M.2 SSDs without the bracket, if it's possible.

Hey, sorry for activate this subject but i have a question on the installation of my m.2 SSD in my nitro 517, when I installed the SSD I removed the "thermal paste" (red square on my image) because when I install the SSD it seems to completly stick on the board. Do you think i should dismount my computer to add it ? 
    thanks by advance
  • muradjabir

Tinkerer

Options
    By all means yes, that area is where the controller chip of most SSDs is and most of them need cooling, specially in enclosed spaces such as a laptop.