Install Windows 10 on acer swift 3 from bootable usb flash drive?

Krock21
Krock21 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I tried to install Windows 10 to my Acer Swift 3 SF314-54
System BIOS version v1.07

I tried to use guide from this topic: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/548118/i-cannot-install-windows-10-in-acer-swift-3/p2
But those guide is obsolete. FAT32 system had been working for old versions of windows 10, less than 4gb.
I tried to format flash drive with ntfs and exfat filesystems, but my laptop didn't see my flash drive with this settings.
I tried to write .iso directly to flash drive, but it is also not seen by bios.

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,466 Pathfinder
    @Krock21 boot in bios then disable secure boot(1st you need to set supervisor password to enable that option) and change bios mode from UEFI TO LEGACY.
    After completing above steps then try to boot in usb.

If their is only UEFI IN bios mode then you need to create window installation media or partition in GPT through rufus

Click on yes if problem solved 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Krock21

Tinkerer

• Krock21

Tinkerer

@Krock21 boot in bios then disable secure boot(1st you need to set supervisor password to enable that option) and change bios mode from UEFI TO LEGACY.
    After completing above steps then try to boot in usb.

If their is only UEFI IN bios mode then you need to create window installation media or partition in GPT through rufus

Click on yes if problem solved 

My settings:
    I did it with disabled secure boot option. I don't see legacy option.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Your Linux install wiped out the UEFI settings for Windows. If you go to another machine and create a Windows boot image on a USB Flash drive using either the Windows Media Creation Tool or Rufus you should be able to boot from it. During the install process for Windows 10 you can delete the Linux partitions which then allows Windows to complete it's install. There is no issue with using FAT32 on flash drives larger than 4GB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Krock21

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Your Linux install wiped out the UEFI settings for Windows. If you go to another machine and create a Windows boot image on a USB Flash drive using either the Windows Media Creation Tool or Rufus you should be able to boot from it. During the install process for Windows 10 you can delete the Linux partitions which then allows Windows to complete it's install. There is no issue with using FAT32 on flash drives larger than 4GB.

Issue is that windows 10 file is bigger than 4gb. But FAT32 filesystem doesn't support files larger than 4gb.
    I Just can't create flash drive with windows 10, which will be accepted by my notebook
  • Krock21

Tinkerer

Ok I tried to create usb flash drive with fat32 filesystem and windows 7(2.5gb), and I succesfully booted from it, but after I have such problem:
    Again: I CAN create good bootable usb flash drive and boot from it, but only if there are no files larger than 4gb, because my laptop accept only gpt fat32 flash drives

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited April 2020
    Edited post.

Apparently all UEFI computers can have success booting a Windows 10 iso USB drive created with rufus....   with the rufus settings:  GPT, UEFI (non CSM), FAT32     

Only newer UEFI computers can use rufus settings   GPT, UEFI (non CSM), NTFS

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Krock21

Tinkerer

Ok
    I installed some windows 10 version less than 4gb, then installed it, then used media creation tool to create windows 10 bootable flash drive, then successfully booted from it.

The main problem is to create bootable usb with windows 10 using ubuntu. Because direct restore image on usb don't work(bios don't see it), and copy-paste files to usb with fat32 don't work too because of >4gb file. ntfs and exfat also isn't seen by bios.

Now I see that media creation tool formatted my usb with fat32 filesystem and compressed everything into 4gb space. So if you have >4gb ISO file and want to write it to FAT32 usb, you can't do it. Only clever media creation tool can do it
  • JordanB
    edited April 2020
    @Krock21

I edited my two posts above.  I did some digging and apparently Windows 10 1803 ISO can be copied to FAT32 USB flash drive. But  1809, 1903,  and 1909 are too large.

Apparently only some newer UEFI computers with a newer UEFI can boot with NTFS or exFAT
  • JordanB
    edited April 2020
    I'm going to post this for anyone stumbling upon this thread.  If you use rufus, use FAT32.  Rufus is apparently smart/clever and knows what to do with the ISO and FAT32.  Because if you use NTFS, you'll probably have to disable secure boot and make things more difficult for yourself.

Here's the rufus settings for Windows 10 1909 ISO for UEFI

Again, if you use NTFS instead of FAT32, you'll get this (below).......and nobody wants that.  And it might not even boot on some UEFI.  So it's best to use FAT32 with rufus.