Fan Comes On When Laptop Is Not In Use A515 54G 56VE

squidgy
squidgy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have a 5 month old A515 54G 56VE which I don't use very much. I have it plugged in all the time. In my Power & Sleep options I have the laptop set to turn off the screen after 3 minutes (whether plugged in or running on battery) and I have it set to go to sleep after 5 minutes, again, whether plugged in or running on battery.  

My power and sleep options currently work as expected, although for the months I've had this laptop, the settings for turning off the screen and going to sleep definitely did not to work as expected. In weeks past I tried having different time amounts, such as turning off the screen after 15 minutes, and going to sleep after 25 minutes. I also had different times for battery vs. plugged in. I would unplug the laptop and see if it would follow the instructions. Sometimes it did, other times not. I kept changing the settings because the laptop did not to be follow the Power & Sleep instructions. For example, there were times when I walked into the room and the screen would still be on, and I had not touched it for hours. 

I finally settled on my current settings - 3 minutes for screen to power off, and 5 minutes for the computer to go to sleep, and the same number of minutes whether plugged in or running on battery. That seems to have solved the problem of inconsistency, but now I have another problem. After the computer goes to sleep, sometimes I will walk into the room - after not having touched it for hours - and the fan is running. 

Is this the way the laptop is supposed to work?  If not, how can I stop this? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Yes normal. Sleep mode still generates heat. You may be able to further reduce activity by changing your power plan to power saver mode with some performance loss. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• maithyho
    maithyho Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,

I'm using a Swift 5 SF514. I'm quite concerned of my laptop when it's sleeping or turning off screen as the fan is not working then. Sometimes I put my laptop into sleep and close the lid, then the laptop will be really hot, just like it's going to explode. Thus I have to always shut my laptop down whenever I'm not using it.
    How can I change may laptop's setting to keep the fan working when it sleeps or turns off the screen?

Thank you.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Your screen might be coming back on when you close the lid. You must change all your ControlPanel power button settings to sleep mode including closing the lid. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PL86
    PL86 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought Acer swift 5 since August 2020, the CPU with Core i7 10th Gen and I used only for documentary work . the problem is that when I close the lid  or turn to sleep mode I found that it overheating and consume battery as well