Predator Helios 300 PH315-51 CPU/GPU fans not spinning

Options
Mexcanor
Mexcanor Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,

About a month or two ago my GPU fan was acting weird. It was running at half expected speed for the load from the games I was playing (CS:GO, Overwatch, Apex, Witcher 3 primarily). Then it just stopped working outright. It would spin for a second or two every 5ish seconds. I updated drivers directly from websites instead of through NVIDIA applications because I've had issues with drivers not installing properly in the past doing that. Blew some dust cleaner into the back of it (I didn't want to open it at the time because I was unsure if it would void my warranty I have from the store I bought it from). I also followed some optimization guides found in the forums here for gaming specifically. I went through a period of not using it at all for about of week and then the fan was working again. Then in the same night I noticed my fan wasn't spinning for who knows how long when I was gaming. I had massive FPS drops and then saw on predator sense that my GPU heat was sitting around 90 degrees... and then my CPU fan stopped working too lol. They just twitch every now and then now. I tried undervolting and hard resetting the PC with windows 10 from a USB. Reinstalled drivers etc etc and still nothing. Eventually predator sense wouldn't boot, but i'm unsure if that's related or not. I've tried running intense games to see if maybe I'm dumb and the laptop didn't think the fans needed to be kicked on bc it wasn't working hard enough but when predator sense was still working temps for CPU/GPU both reached 90 again so I just stopped using the laptop as I'm afraid of literally frying it. The store I bought it from just cut me a check for the laptop without wanting it back so now I have the green light to open it up and tinker with things. I've never opened a laptop, I only have experience with towers. Before I get to the point of trying to clean the fans or possibly replacing them, are there any other considerations of what I can do first? Or does anyone have an idea of how bad of a shape my actual CPU/GPU could be in? I know it's probably hard to say without it in your hands, but I'm just thinking of all the parts I'll have to order to repair it if it's possible because most orders take like 3-5 weeks to get to Italy. I'm not necessarily open the idea of considering replacing the CPU/GPU as I already ordered a tower, but it would be cool if I could fix it otherwise. 
Model: PH315-51
Part #: 82908FBC3400
SNID: XXX

Edited the thread to hide sensitive information
Acer-Samuel

Answers

• attacker88
    attacker88 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Mexcanor said:
    Hello,

About a month or two ago my GPU fan was acting weird. It was running at half expected speed for the load from the games I was playing (CS:GO, Overwatch, Apex, Witcher 3 primarily). Then it just stopped working outright. It would spin for a second or two every 5ish seconds. I updated drivers directly from websites instead of through NVIDIA applications because I've had issues with drivers not installing properly in the past doing that. Blew some dust cleaner into the back of it (I didn't want to open it at the time because I was unsure if it would void my warranty I have from the store I bought it from). I also followed some optimization guides found in the forums here for gaming specifically. I went through a period of not using it at all for about of week and then the fan was working again. Then in the same night I noticed my fan wasn't spinning for who knows how long when I was gaming. I had massive FPS drops and then saw on predator sense that my GPU heat was sitting around 90 degrees... and then my CPU fan stopped working too lol. They just twitch every now and then now. I tried undervolting and hard resetting the PC with windows 10 from a USB. Reinstalled drivers etc etc and still nothing. Eventually predator sense wouldn't boot, but i'm unsure if that's related or not. I've tried running intense games to see if maybe I'm dumb and the laptop didn't think the fans needed to be kicked on bc it wasn't working hard enough but when predator sense was still working temps for CPU/GPU both reached 90 again so I just stopped using the laptop as I'm afraid of literally frying it. The store I bought it from just cut me a check for the laptop without wanting it back so now I have the green light to open it up and tinker with things. I've never opened a laptop, I only have experience with towers. Before I get to the point of trying to clean the fans or possibly replacing them, are there any other considerations of what I can do first? Or does anyone have an idea of how bad of a shape my actual CPU/GPU could be in? I know it's probably hard to say without it in your hands, but I'm just thinking of all the parts I'll have to order to repair it if it's possible because most orders take like 3-5 weeks to get to Italy. I'm not necessarily open the idea of considering replacing the CPU/GPU as I already ordered a tower, but it would be cool if I could fix it otherwise. 

Acer-Samuel
    hey i have the same issue. what did you do to get it working?
  • Mexcanor
    Mexcanor Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Mexcanor said:
    Hello,

Acer-Samuel
    hey i have the same issue. what did you do to get it working?
    I had to replace both of the fans. They're impossible to fix. I don't suggest trying; from personal experience they'll just rattle really bad and sound like they'll blow up lol. I was still having heat problems, with CPU spikes as high as 99 degrees c. If you're unaware, at 90 the the CPU will throttle and at 100 it'll shut off. What I ultimately had to do to resolve my heat spikes was undervolting by about 60 mV AND capping my CPU at 3.2GHz (the base clock is 2.2 with a max boost of 4.1. I have temps around 75 under load so i could probably bump it up but it's unnecessary for the games i use the laptop for) with throttlestop. To do either of these things I'd suggest reading and watching tutorials on it to find a stable undervolt. When you go to replace the fans (just replace them both even if only one is not working; you're already there) make sure you clean out as much as your heatsink as possible.

Other things to consider:
    -invest in good thermal paste (to replace the fans, the heatsink must be removed. You absolutely need to repaste)
    -If your laptop does not have an m.2 NVME, consider buying one. This particular model doesn't come with one, but the slot for it will be exposed after you take the case off.
    -Consider also buying an SSD and 16GB (2x8) of RAM. These are easily accessible so if you want to do that later you wont have to worry about taking the case off again. These two are accessible by the two rectangular plastic covers under the laptop. 

As far as the fan goes, idk if i'm allowed to post links here so search:

QUETTERLEE Replacement New CPU Cooling Fan for ACER A515 A515-43 A515-51 A515-54 A515-41 AN515 AN515-51 AN515-52 AN515-41 A314-31 G3-571 G3-572 G3-573 PH317 Series DFS541105FC0T FJMQ Fan

Buy from amazon or alliexpress. There's only one left in stock on amazon tho, which is partially my fault. I bought 3. I broke one. I don't want to talk about it lol.