Using Nitro 5 (AN515-43) with a external monitor.

Options
2»

Answers

• Ytinummoc
    Ytinummoc Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Ajayvu said:
    Play games on your lap for sometimes and you can feel heat coming from your keyboard, so I suggest to put a small gap instead of closing it entirely 
    Interesting idea. I've ordered a laptop stand that's adjustable. It can be opened to ~2.7 inches. So I could set the laptop up like a tent, with the top of the screen about 1.5 inches away from the bottom of the trackpad. When I get the laptop I will have to run some tests to see if this impacts cooling or not.

I hope the laptop cooling works well with the lid closed though. I think it might look kinda stupid to have the laptop open a little bit all the time in my living room. Hopefully the heat you noticed coming off the keyboard is just because hot air rises, in which case, it would mostly just rise out of the rear vents when the laptop is vertical.
  • Ytinummoc
    Ytinummoc Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Rozna said:
    Exactly! 

I'm very pleased with the setup as I now no longer need to buy a seperate desktop computer, which was my initial plan. But the Nitro 5 works well with handling the load I need it to, mostly work and some gaming. Hope everything goes well with your setup, and if you go through with setting up the vertical stand I would very much like an update! Cheers! 
    Just a quick update, I got the Asus laptop about a week ago. (Sorry Acer, at least it's still Taiwanese!) The first day I had it, I ran a bunch of tests with the laptop closed and vertical vs. the laptop open and "normal." The maximum clock speeds, maximum temperatures, and maximum fan speeds were basically the same. If anything, the vertical orientation had a slight edge, but only by one degree, and only sometimes. So it seems that cooling is no problem when the laptop is closed and vertical. I was hoping that the vertical orientation might have much better cooling, because the bottom intake vents are completely unobstructed, but I'll settle for "just as good."

As for whether or not the screen and keyboard trap heat and get too hot when the laptop is closed and vertical, I can't think of a way to determine this for sure. But I did run benchmarks on the laptop until the CPU and GPU basically got up to their maximum temperatures, then I popped the laptop out of its stand, opened it as fast as I could, and felt the keyboard and all around the top case. Everything felt very cool to the touch, except for a few keys above the CPU, which were a couple degrees warmer than the rest of the top case but still cool. If it weren't for those keys, I don't even think I could tell that the laptop had been turned on. So I'm pretty satisfied that I'm not going to be damaging the laptop if I keep it vertical, and very pleased with the setup overall.

I'm sure the Nitro 5 would fare similarly, although it would be fun to test that one too.
  • Rozna
    Rozna Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    Ytinummoc said:
    Rozna said:
    Exactly! 

I'm very pleased with the setup as I now no longer need to buy a seperate desktop computer, which was my initial plan. But the Nitro 5 works well with handling the load I need it to, mostly work and some gaming. Hope everything goes well with your setup, and if you go through with setting up the vertical stand I would very much like an update! Cheers! 
    Just a quick update, I got the Asus laptop about a week ago. (Sorry Acer, at least it's still Taiwanese!) The first day I had it, I ran a bunch of tests with the laptop closed and vertical vs. the laptop open and "normal." The maximum clock speeds, maximum temperatures, and maximum fan speeds were basically the same. If anything, the vertical orientation had a slight edge, but only by one degree, and only sometimes. So it seems that cooling is no problem when the laptop is closed and vertical. I was hoping that the vertical orientation might have much better cooling, because the bottom intake vents are completely unobstructed, but I'll settle for "just as good."

As for whether or not the screen and keyboard trap heat and get too hot when the laptop is closed and vertical, I can't think of a way to determine this for sure. But I did run benchmarks on the laptop until the CPU and GPU basically got up to their maximum temperatures, then I popped the laptop out of its stand, opened it as fast as I could, and felt the keyboard and all around the top case. Everything felt very cool to the touch, except for a few keys above the CPU, which were a couple degrees warmer than the rest of the top case but still cool. If it weren't for those keys, I don't even think I could tell that the laptop had been turned on. So I'm pretty satisfied that I'm not going to be damaging the laptop if I keep it vertical, and very pleased with the setup overall.

I'm sure the Nitro 5 would fare similarly, although it would be fun to test that one too.
    Hello, Ytinummoc! 

Great that you came back to us with an update! It looks like you did quite some tests, and thank you for taking the time to do so!
    I atleast have gotten a clear picture that a vertical and closed position doesn't do any harm to the laptop whatsoever. It seems like
    a lot of people when going for the more ''minimalistic'' setup with a laptop and monitor chooses the vertical position, as it takes up
    way less space, and honestly it looks way prettier. I was worried at first, propably from reading too much into it, but thank you
    for clarifying that there shouldn't be any worries. And if I was wondering about something like this, I'll bet a handfull of other people would
    benefit from knowing aswell!