Using Nitro 5 (AN515-43) with a external monitor.

Rozna
Rozna Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey, guys! 
I have built a setup with my Nitro 5 and a external monitor. But I am wondering if I should be having my laptop closed or open when using it.
I am only using the external monitor as a main screen, so the nitro 5 would stay dark either way. I would also like to put it on a vertical stand, to make up some space.
The question really is if that is smart? I have read on some forumes that while using a laptop closed with a monitor could damage the screen as the heat would be ¨trapped¨
between the screen and the keyboard, but as the nitro 5 has its fans going behind it and under, I kinda do not see that happening. What are your opinions on this? Does anyone have experiance with this?

Thanks for the answers on a front note! 

Best Answer

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Answer ✓
    I don`t see any problem, this location is even better for ventilation and cooling. As stated try both ways but I doubt you will find any difference.

Please click yes if I have answered your question.

Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

Answers

• batmalin
    Hi,
    Never heard of faulty monitor because you are using it closed. Think about it, almost all IT employees are using their laptop on a docking station and closed, how many of those complained about faulty monitor?

• Rozna

Tinkerer

batmalin said:
    Hi,
    Never heard of faulty monitor because you are using it closed. Think about it, almost all IT employees are using their laptop on a docking station and closed, how many of those complained about faulty monitor?
    Thanks for answering!
    Yes I agree, and considering that it is not any(or much) hot airflow accessing the laptop screen it would seem unlikely.
    But what about using it for gaming for several hours? I know that some laptop keyboards tend to get really hot, and if
    the screen kind of locks that heat in place, perhaps thats where some damage could happend. Very unsure though.

But do you think there is a differanse in which way the laptop is outputting the heat? For instance on a vertical stand it would output the heat towards the ceiling and the wall, would the laptop have to work harder to output the heat that way?
  • batmalin
    Well you could try to game open and closed and do the comparison, AMD equipped laptops are cooler than the rest so I doubt that the screen can be damaged.

• Rozna

Tinkerer

That is true, I'll see if I can conduct a small experiment on that. My guess is that it will be fine, probably made me worried by reading too much into some forumes. I will post an update after some testing, perhaps someone will have a benefit of that.

If there is anyone currently having a nitro 5 or a likewise laptop on a vertical stand I would much appreciate a answer on how that is working. If having the laptop closed is not an issue, perhaps having it on a vertical stand is not a problem? The only thing I could think of then is that the laptop would have a hard time outputting the heat upwards vertically and not horisontal like when on a table. 
  • batmalin
    Does it blows downwards, I am confused . Could you please make a picture of the setup.

• Rozna

Tinkerer

This is not my setup, but this is as close as I could get to show an example of how the laptop would be looking. The only picture I could find with a Nitro 5, but there are many examples with Razer and Macbooks etc. But on a vertical stand the laptop would be facing down, whereas the back fans would be outputting the heat upwards.

• batmalin
    Answer ✓
    I don`t see any problem, this location is even better for ventilation and cooling. As stated try both ways but I doubt you will find any difference.

Please click yes if I have answered your question.

• Rozna

Tinkerer

I see, I guess I have to try it out to be sure either way. Thanks for your time mate! 
  • batmalin
    You are welcome mate!

• ItsDaveyBoy
    ItsDaveyBoy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Which monitor stand are you using? I am currently looking for one for my nitro 5.
  • Ytinummoc
    Ytinummoc Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Rozna said:
    This is not my setup, but this is as close as I could get to show an example of how the laptop would be looking. The only picture I could find with a Nitro 5, but there are many examples with Razer and Macbooks etc. But on a vertical stand the laptop would be facing down, whereas the back fans would be outputting the heat upwards.

I would like to use a Nitro 5 as an HTPC, driving my TV in my living room. It would be a similar setup to yours--vertical orientation, with the back pointing upward.

Have you been doing this, and if so, can you give some feedback about temperatures and noise? Is cooling better or worse with this setup vs. with the laptop open? If cooling is better, I would expect fan noise to decrease too...
  • Rozna

Tinkerer

Which monitor stand are you using? I am currently looking for one for my nitro 5.
    Hey, Dave! Sorry I have not been on this forum for a while. As for you question, I am currently only using a slight lift up stand for my Nitro 5. Meaning it doesn't sit on my desk but is slightly risen so the air can flow better. I have found this to be exactly what I needed, just bought mine at a electronics shop for like 15$, nothing fancy. As for a vertical laptop stand I have not tried that yet, as I rather went for a dual monitor and laptop screen. But I would guess that a good vertical stand would go about the same in price, and would probably take up a lot less space! Hope this was helpful!
  • Rozna

Tinkerer

Ytinummoc said:
    Rozna said:

I would like to use a Nitro 5 as an HTPC, driving my TV in my living room. It would be a similar setup to yours--vertical orientation, with the back pointing upward.

Have you been doing this, and if so, can you give some feedback about temperatures and noise? Is cooling better or worse with this setup vs. with the laptop open? If cooling is better, I would expect fan noise to decrease too...
    Hey, Ytinummoc! 
    I was heavily considering a vertical stand for my Nitro 5, but I rather went and bought a external monitor and now I just use both the laptop and the monitor like a dual-screen setup. But if you are considering going for a vertical stand I would, from my research, recommend it. What I have found out is that the cooling isn't really affected as to it making any difference if it's vertical or horisontal on the desk, I would guess it's more of a convenient thing, like taking up less space and perhaps looking more aesthetic. Hope this helps!
  • Ytinummoc
    Rozna said:
    Hey, Ytinummoc! 
    I was heavily considering a vertical stand for my Nitro 5, but I rather went and bought a external monitor and now I just use both the laptop and the monitor like a dual-screen setup. But if you are considering going for a vertical stand I would, from my research, recommend it. What I have found out is that the cooling isn't really affected as to it making any difference if it's vertical or horisontal on the desk, I would guess it's more of a convenient thing, like taking up less space and perhaps looking more aesthetic. Hope this helps!
    Thanks, I appreciate the response! Yes, of course hot air rises, which is neat, but it seems that, mostly, hot air goes wherever a fan pushes it.

I will be using a laptop as an HTPC, connected to my TV, in my living room. I will also do some occasional gaming on it. You're right, having the laptop open on my living room floor would not be very aesthetically pleasing. Good to know that the cooling system is effective when the laptop is vertical! Hope you're enjoying your setup.
  • Rozna

Tinkerer

Ytinummoc said:
    Rozna said:
    Hey, Ytinummoc! 
    Thanks, I appreciate the response! Yes, of course hot air rises, which is neat, but it seems that, mostly, hot air goes wherever a fan pushes it.

I will be using a laptop as an HTPC, connected to my TV, in my living room. I will also do some occasional gaming on it. You're right, having the laptop open on my living room floor would not be very aesthetically pleasing. Good to know that the cooling system is effective when the laptop is vertical! Hope you're enjoying your setup.
    Exactly! 

I'm very pleased with the setup as I now no longer need to buy a seperate desktop computer, which was my initial plan. But the Nitro 5 works well with handling the load I need it to, mostly work and some gaming. Hope everything goes well with your setup, and if you go through with setting up the vertical stand I would very much like an update! Cheers! 
  • Ytinummoc
    Rozna said:
    Exactly! 

I'm very pleased with the setup as I now no longer need to buy a seperate desktop computer, which was my initial plan. But the Nitro 5 works well with handling the load I need it to, mostly work and some gaming. Hope everything goes well with your setup, and if you go through with setting up the vertical stand I would very much like an update! Cheers! 
    Actually I was about to pull the trigger yesterday on the Nitro 5, but changed my mind at the last minute and decided to get one of the brand new Asus laptops with an AMD 4800H processor. (!) So I'm afraid I won't find out how well the Nitro 5 does when it's vertical, but I'm glad it's working well for you. They do look like nice laptops!
  • akash1997
    akash1997 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Well! I am using this same laptop with an external monitor currently.
    And I would like to suggest that you can fold your laptop while doing regular task. This laptop got cooling fans on backside, so no worries.
    But if you are playing games or doing anything that requires lot of power, then consider opening the lid a little bit to let the heat flow out(air cooling).
    Its been 6 months I have been using my laptop like this, have no issue.
  • Rozna

Tinkerer

Ytinummoc said:
    Rozna said:
    Exactly! 

Actually I was about to pull the trigger yesterday on the Nitro 5, but changed my mind at the last minute and decided to get one of the brand new Asus laptops with an AMD 4800H processor. (!) So I'm afraid I won't find out how well the Nitro 5 does when it's vertical, but I'm glad it's working well for you. They do look like nice laptops!
    That's awsome! I have heard great things about the new AMD 4800H laptops, enjoy!
  • Rozna

Tinkerer

akash1997 said:
    Well! I am using this same laptop with an external monitor currently.
    And I would like to suggest that you can fold your laptop while doing regular task. This laptop got cooling fans on backside, so no worries.
    But if you are playing games or doing anything that requires lot of power, then consider opening the lid a little bit to let the heat flow out(air cooling).
    Its been 6 months I have been using my laptop like this, have no issue.
    Hey, Akash! 

I agree! Good to know that it doesn't cause any difficulties/damage when having it folded. Thanks for the advice!
  • Ajayvu
    Ajayvu Member Posts: 3 New User
    Play games on your lap for sometimes and you can feel heat coming from your keyboard, so I suggest to put a small gap instead of closing it entirely