aspire x3960 bios issue

Bryn22
Bryn22 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I am doing a rebuild of a aspire x3960 with a i3-2100. Ive bought a GT 420 but cant change the setting in the bios to disable the onboard graphics its locked and blacked out on my bios screen. Can anyone help me change this bios setting.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,789 Trailblazer
    The BIOS should automatically recognize that there's a GPU card installed and switch to it, disabling the onboard at the same time. If it doesn't then it's having issues reading the PCI bus info from the card. That can happen with some NVIDIA cards from some manufacturers, they don't correctly handle things when you are booting from a Legacy BIOS. Who made your GT-420?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bryn22
    billsey said:
    The BIOS should automatically recognize that there's a GPU card installed and switch to it, disabling the onboard at the same time. If it doesn't then it's having issues reading the PCI bus info from the card. That can happen with some NVIDIA cards from some manufacturers, they don't correctly handle things when you are booting from a Legacy BIOS. Who made your GT-420?
    The GT-420 came in an old prebuilt  lenovo ideacenter, brand i dont know.
  • billsey
    Do you know what OS came on the Lenovo? If W8 or later the card should work just fine with a UEFI system but might have problems with Legacy. If it originally came with W7, and not "W7 upgradable to W8", it should work just fine with a Legacy BIOS and likely should also work in UEFI mode. Which boot mode are you in?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bryn22
    Windows 7 Lenovo Ideacenter k3300, was the gpus original pc.
  • billsey
    So it is likely pre-UEFI. Normally if something isn't going to work it's the other way around, trying to put a new card in a legacy boot system that only understands UEFI. I'm a bit stumped...
  • Bryn22
    billsey said:
    So it is likely pre-UEFI. Normally if something isn't going to work it's the other way around, trying to put a new card in a legacy boot system that only understands UEFI. I'm a bit stumped...
    So the card just won't work with my PC because it's too new but old?
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited April 2020
    @Bryn22

Your computer is from right around the transition period when the entire computer industry was switching from BIOS to UEFI.
    On a handful of legacy computer models, I think Acer might have updated the BIOS to support modern UEFI graphics cards.  Your computer might have been one of the old models with hybrid BIOS  that will boot modern graphics cards (and can use a modern graphics card). Not sure.

The user from Russia appears to have your same CPU (I assume same mainboards),but I can't tell if he has a hybrid BIOS or UEFI.   Based on his BIOS date, I suspect he has a hybrid BIOS--not UEFI....but not sure. If you go through all 260 benchmarks and find someone with your CPU (mainboard) and your BIOS date and see what kind of card they are using, you can draw a conclusion.  For example, the Russian user is using a modern graphics card....GTX960.  It's also possible that the Russian user had to wipe his HDD and reinstall Windows 10 in EFI mode (GPT) to trigger his card to work (I'm guessing now---since I don't know anything about the hybrid BIOS from 2010-2012).

You can find your BIOS date by going to "run" and type "msinfo32" without quotation marks.  

In **theory**, if you have a hybrid BIOS, it **should** be able to run both legacy and UEFI graphics cards.  But most Acer Hybrid BIOS from 2010-2011 can only run legacy cards (from my observations).  You might have one of the exceptions and might be able to run both.....or whatever userbenchmark says you can run.

I don't know anything about the GT420 other than it's a very old legacy card.  I don't really know much about Acer computers from 2010-2011.  I don't have a firm grasp on the BIOS/hybrid BIOS/UEFI and support for which graphics cards on Acer computers from 2010-2012.  It's a little confusing.  As far as I know, all Acer desktops manufactured from late 2013 to present have a modern UEFI and you should use a modern UEFI graphics card....e.g.  Nvidia 7xx, 9xx, 10xx, 16xx ,20xx.  But if it's before that, you can check userbenchmark and put on your Sherlock Holmes hat.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14481054

https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-X3960/7841

I'm not an Acer employee.