Speaker noise on Nitro?

HighOctanePhotos
HighOctanePhotos Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Has anyone else had the speaker noise referred to in this thread occur on their Nitro?
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/534951/acer-predator-g9-593-buzzing-noise-coming-from-speakers-under-full-load-with-video?breakffcache=c981b

I have had it and been struggling with it for some time and finally came across this thread (had been thinking it was a Windows issue all along and it turns out it's an inherant Acer issue)

As mine is by now well out of warranty, it presents 2 questions...
1) Is there a way to fix this, short of sending it to a service centre on the other side of the country who may or may not be able to help me?
2) Is this still an issue with the current laptops? Should I be confident enough in Acers engineers to buy another of their laptops, or should I avoid them in my search for a new machine?

Thanks for your thoughts

Answers

• What is the exact model? Example AN515-51-75KZ.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Is the noise audible in a video recording?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • HighOctanePhotos

Tinkerer

This post, from the thread I linked earlier, shows exactly the same noise on an Acer Predator - https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/543064/#Comment_543064

It seems from elsewhere in that thread, that it's possibly a bad solder on the main board, which is disappointing to me... But possibly fixable... 
  • Can you test with another power adapter?
    https://youtu.be/jSA2F1AwboU

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• HighOctanePhotos

Tinkerer

edited April 2020
    It does the same on power or on battery - it's not the power supply at fault here... :(

And no, it's not a ground loop - there is nothing plugged in to the laptop, only the power connector - that is a different situation to the Acer issue
  • Does this model have an internal subwoofer?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Pradeep42
    Pradeep42 Member Posts: 104 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited April 2020
    @egydiocoelho
    I also have the same problem, both on adapter and battery power, the buzzing can only be heard when volume is full with dolby audio enabled.
    Model: AN515-52
    User of an AN515-52.
  • HighOctanePhotos

Tinkerer

You are lucky Pradeep42 :)

Mine buzzes no matter the volume - you can usually stop it by disabling or uninstalling the sound drivers - but sometimes Windows doesn't let that happen...
  • @HighOctanePhotos Does your model have a subwoofer? Some users hid the problem by disabling the subwoofer

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• HighOctanePhotos

Tinkerer

Thanks - I don't think mine has an internal sub, but I'll double check... Disabling or uninstalling the internal speakers hides the problem, but Windows likes to reinstall the speakers from time to time, and sometimes it'll get confused and refuse to disable them...
  • HighOctanePhotos

Tinkerer

Also - for completeness, I could have sworn I posted the model number earlier, but now I can't see it, so here it is...

Model is: VN7-593G-772Y, built on 2017/03/10 (almost due for replacement, but still, not like this)
  • What happens when you just disconnect and reconnect the speakers?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• fossil
    fossil Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Has anyone else had the speaker noise referred to in this thread occur on their Nitro?
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/534951/acer-predator-g9-593-buzzing-noise-coming-from-speakers-under-full-load-with-video?breakffcache=c981b

I have had it and been struggling with it for some time and finally came across this thread (had been thinking it was a Windows issue all along and it turns out it's an inherant Acer issue)

As mine is by now well out of warranty, it presents 2 questions...
    1) Is there a way to fix this, short of sending it to a service centre on the other side of the country who may or may not be able to help me?
    2) Is this still an issue with the current laptops? Should I be confident enough in Acers engineers to buy another of their laptops, or should I avoid them in my search for a new machine?

Thanks for your thoughts
    I fixed the issue on my VN7-593G by removing the individual speaker that caused the problem. I now have the same issue on the right side though. Short of replacing the speakers, this is the only solution i found. I must mention, it is hard if not impossible to find replacement speakers. All the sites that i found were out of stock, or not shipping to my country. Maybe you are lucky.
  • HighOctanePhotos

Tinkerer

Is it a speaker problem though, or is that just the symptom of another problem? If it was a speaker problem, it wouldn't make the noise when there was no sound being produced by the laptop...
  • fossil

Tinkerer

I'm not really sure, i was going to check the right side today. I will tell you what i find.
  • fossil

Tinkerer

So, i tried soldering a speaker from my previous laptop to the wires from the speaker i cut a while ago. Sure enough after letting my laptop in full load for a few minutes, it started buzzing, so it seems its not a issue with the speakers themselves, like you said. I though maybe it's crosstalk, but the odd thing is that the right one seemed to have no issue while it was out of the laptop. Once i put the laptop back together and let it in full load for 15-20 minutes (longer then with the left speaker) it started buzzing. I don't know what causes the issue, maybe some transistors or resistors gone bad? I visually checked the components that were going to the connector and i saw nothing wrong with them though. I don't really know how to check them with a multimeter, so this is all i can tell you.
  • Some users have reported overheating in some component:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer