Fan Assembly

Options
Nohtaram
Nohtaram Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My CPU Fan is making a grinding noise, almost sounds like a bearing is going out or there might be something stuck in there. it happens intermittently. i cant reproduce it on command it just happens every now and again. seems like its getting worse. I want to take out the fan assembly and check it out. I just dont want to break anything in the process. I know how to get access to the assembly is there anything i need to look out for or be careful with. I unplug battery and both fans, unscrew fan assembly then lift out correct? thank you.

Best Answer

• Nohtaram

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    UPDATE: I purchased a CPU fan from ebay for my particular model. waited about 2-3 weeks before it got here. opened up my laptop and replaced old cpu fan with new cpu fan and the laptop is brand new again! 

Have a great day!

Answers

• Nohtaram

Tinkerer

Options
    acer predator helios 500 ph517-51 is my model #
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Nope you seem to have got it right, nothing to add

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Nohtaram

Tinkerer

Options
    I decided to just take my cpu fan out and inspect/clean it. I reinstalled it and the noise is persisting. I have no clue what it could be. I believe it's related to my fan because the noise will go away if i turn my cpu fan off. Do you guys have any ideas? I did not look at the bearing I simply cleaned it. Open to ideas. Again it is a grinding noise, maybe a rattle happens intermittently.
  • maskedbandit
    maskedbandit Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    I have an issue related to the fan. I think one of the fans might have stopped working. The one on the front of the laptop which looks like an exhaust. On the left hand side (the side of the turbo button). I think so because when I keep my hand near the exhaust I feel little to no air coming out. Will it void my warranty if I open the laptop and check it out?
  • Nohtaram

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    UPDATE: I purchased a CPU fan from ebay for my particular model. waited about 2-3 weeks before it got here. opened up my laptop and replaced old cpu fan with new cpu fan and the laptop is brand new again! 

Have a great day!