Swift 1 Product Key for Office 365

walkon
walkon Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Have a Swift 1, trying to activate the free year of Office 365.  Keeps asking for a product key.  No Product card in the box and no number on the receipt.  It does not automatically activate when I click on the office tile.  It is still within the 6 month activation window.  How do I get it activated?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Did you purchase the Swift as a new or refurbished machine. A new machine should automatically activate. If you press the Windows key to bring up the start menu, then select Microsoft Office 365 tile, you should see an option to activate. If not, refer to this link  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/using-product-keys-with-office-12a5763a-d45c-4685-8c95-a44500213759?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• walkon
    I bought it new about a week ago.  When I click on the MS Office 365 tile it does not give me an option to activate.  If I open word, the blank template tells me I need to activate Office, I click the activate now button and it takes me through some various screens that eventually end up at the enter product code key screen.  Thank you for the link.  I have looked through the information that seems relevant to this situation and either I don't get the screens the website shows or I get cycled back to enter the product key.  Pretty sad, looks like this problem has been going on for a few years.  
  • JackE
    >>>Your Microsoft account takes the place of your Office product key for many tasks, such as activating Office and reinstalling Office. >>>

I think the above statement from the link https://support.office.com/en-us/article/using-product-keys-with-office-12a5763a-d45c-4685-8c95-a44500213759?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US  might be one fo the small-print conditions that pretty much explains why "this problem that has been going on for a few years" as you put it. So, I have to ask, do you have a Microsoft account? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• walkon
    Yes I have a Microsoft account. When I use it it says office isn't tied to this account,  even though it is the account I used to set up the computer. Tried using the Microsoft wizard to activate as well, no luck there either, but supposedly now have a ticket opened with Microsoft, so will see where that gets me. 
  • JackE
    >>>supposedly now have a ticket opened with Microsoft, so will see where that gets me.  >>>

Good luck. I've been generally underwhelmed with the 365 model & experience ever since my first run-in with it more than 5 years ago. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ