SF314-57-74V6 Short Battery Life

roxus007
roxus007 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
During the first four months of use, my Acer Swift 3's battery indicator would show it will last around 8 hours when fully charged.  In reality it would run 6-7 hours.  During the last few weeks, the battery indicator shows a fully charged battery will run for barely 3 hours.  I don't run intensive programs, don't video edit or play games, screen brightness is about 50% and Bluetooth is disabled. 

I contacted Acer support and was told to "reset" the battery by pressing the battery reset pin hole button for 4 seconds with the unit unplugged from it's AC adapter.  I did this but it didn't make any difference.  I can ship it for repair but that's rather extreme and prefer to try other options first.

I have not updated any Acer related software or firware, haven't updated BIOS, chipset, etc.  What's the best method to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    If the battery reset didn't help (and it takes a bit more than just pushing the button, you should let it rest powered down for 15 minutes or longer, then plug it in and wait for a full charge before turning it back on) then the next step is to verify battery calibration. Power it up on battery and allow it to run down until it shuts off due to low charge. Plug it in and fully charge it, then repeat by turning it on and switching to battery power. After a few cycles if the calibration was bad it'll be much better. Check your life out then to see if it goes back to normal, or close to it. If neither a battery reset or battery calibration fixes it, you're probably best off to do as they suggest and send it in for warranty repair, they will likely replace the battery.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    If the battery reset didn't help (and it takes a bit more than just pushing the button, you should let it rest powered down for 15 minutes or longer, then plug it in and wait for a full charge before turning it back on) then the next step is to verify battery calibration. Power it up on battery and allow it to run down until it shuts off due to low charge. Plug it in and fully charge it, then repeat by turning it on and switching to battery power. After a few cycles if the calibration was bad it'll be much better. Check your life out then to see if it goes back to normal, or close to it. If neither a battery reset or battery calibration fixes it, you're probably best off to do as they suggest and send it in for warranty repair, they will likely replace the battery.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • roxus007

Tinkerer

Thanks billsey I will give that a try.

Forgot to mention that I removed the Acer power plan and installed the standard power plans. This was done months before the battery issue. Can someone send me the Acer power plan? 
  • billsey
    Likely you have no need for the Acer power plan, I usually tweak mine anyway. Power Saver should do as well as the Acer in extending battery life.
  • roxus007

Tinkerer

The laptop came with only the Acer power plan. I did some work to install the default power plans but that had nothing to do with the battery showing and/or lasting for no more than 3 hours.
    After a couple of rounds of fully charging and then running the laptop until it shuts down due to lack of battery power, I am now getting battery run estimates in the 6-7 hour range.  Actual usage time is also in the 6-7 hour range.  The battery recalibration worked!  Thanks billsey.
  • billsey
    Sweet! Glad we could get it sorted. :)