G3-571 won't turn on unless plugged in

Options
pinchdoodle
pinchdoodle Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2020 in Predator Laptops
I've had a lot of problems recently with my acer predator helios 300. At first, there was a problem with it randomly shutting down (whether it was hot or cold) and found out it was the SW2 switch (which I then put some electrical tape on to apply more pressure). During that time, the battery was working fine - I could still remove the charger and it would use the battery. However, today, I removed the charger and tried turning on my laptop but it wouldn't turn on. I plugged the charger back in and it will turn on but immediately when I disconnect it, the unit will turn off. I have no idea what to do. I know that I am putting an adequate amount of pressure on the SW2 switch so that's not the issue anymore. I have tried resetting the battery using the pin-hole and uninstalling/installing the battery driver. I am at a loss, is there anything I'm missing?

Best Answer

• SirrPaul
    SirrPaul Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I cannot believe how simple of a solution worked for me. All I did was went to Device Manager > Batteries > Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, I disabled the drivers, waited for a few seconds, then re-enabled the drivers and voila, it was working again. Before doing this, my laptop behaved as if there was no battery installed. It wouldn't turn on when unplugged. When plugged and turned on, it would instantly shut down once the charger was disconnected. I was so glad when the simple fix worked for me. I hope it works for you, too. 

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Run a battery health check using Hwinfo and post the result here
    https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• pinchdoodle
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Don't know if this is what you mean but here is the battery
  • TzhaarDart
    TzhaarDart Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have diagnosed this problem by doing some research since my Acer Helios 300, i7-7700HQ NVIDIA 1060, has the same issue. 

I will save you some time and inform you I have replaced the battery, adjusted a lot of settings, and eventually I discovered that it is a short on the board having to do with the power-rail. I recommend if the computer is under warranty with Acer to start the RMA Process ASAP otherwise if you're out of warranty, like me, attempt to find someone that does motherboard repairs. Make sure it's a reputable and local individual such that your personal data is NOT put at risk. Don't cheap out, and check if they have a warranty.

My occupation is as a computer technician, and a recent Electrical Engineer, I have a colleague that specializes in logic-board repair and has the several thousand dollars of equipment and we will be troubleshooting my board together and he will teach me the means of repairing the board.

I will keep you posted on my own journey, although I am trying to determine why my Laptop crashes on games such as Destiny 2, Just Cause 3, and Borderlands 2.

Long story short: Motherboard based issue, more than likely a shorted component (Capacitor is probably the culprit). Either RMA or find reputable repair center.

Best Regards, Dart.
  • pinchdoodle
    Options
    I have diagnosed this problem by doing some research since my Acer Helios 300, i7-7700HQ NVIDIA 1060, has the same issue. 

I will save you some time and inform you I have replaced the battery, adjusted a lot of settings, and eventually I discovered that it is a short on the board having to do with the power-rail. I recommend if the computer is under warranty with Acer to start the RMA Process ASAP otherwise if you're out of warranty, like me, attempt to find someone that does motherboard repairs. Make sure it's a reputable and local individual such that your personal data is NOT put at risk. Don't cheap out, and check if they have a warranty.

My occupation is as a computer technician, and a recent Electrical Engineer, I have a colleague that specializes in logic-board repair and has the several thousand dollars of equipment and we will be troubleshooting my board together and he will teach me the means of repairing the board.

I will keep you posted on my own journey, although I am trying to determine why my Laptop crashes on games such as Destiny 2, Just Cause 3, and Borderlands 2.

Long story short: Motherboard based issue, more than likely a shorted component (Capacitor is probably the culprit). Either RMA or find reputable repair center.

Best Regards, Dart.
    Thanks for the information Dart. Crazy how I spent $1000 on this laptop to have it fail two years later. I have had nameless branded laptops work for six years without any issues, but a company like Acer making a product that only lasts two years? That's absurd. 

It's so strange that it was working completely fine just three days ago without it needing to connect to the charger but now suddenly facing this issue.

I hope it's not too expensive.

Thanks. 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Check your battery connector, reseat it a couple of times, your battery health looks ok acceptable wear

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• TzhaarDart
    TzhaarDart Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Just for fun, have you attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the Drivers for the battery etc? May be a good alternative. Otherwise it will be more than likely the issue I already mentioned.
    I only recommend this since you have already situated the mechanical switch which is depressed once the RAM cover is inserted and tightened down. Some times the foam will start to compress and not press the button sufficiently so electrical tape, as you mentioned, would be a great fix.

Regards, Dart.
  • SirrPaul
    SirrPaul Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I cannot believe how simple of a solution worked for me. All I did was went to Device Manager > Batteries > Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, I disabled the drivers, waited for a few seconds, then re-enabled the drivers and voila, it was working again. Before doing this, my laptop behaved as if there was no battery installed. It wouldn't turn on when unplugged. When plugged and turned on, it would instantly shut down once the charger was disconnected. I was so glad when the simple fix worked for me. I hope it works for you, too. 
  • harshg1911
    harshg1911 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had the same issue, luckily just removing the RAM cover and applying 2-3 layer of electric tape on the foam which press a switch solved my problem, plus somehow I had one more issue regarding camera (some random error appears when ever I try to use camera) that too is solved.