ACER NITRO 5 (model Nitro 5AN515-52 / N17C1) not booting

Options
megabob
megabob Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi Everyone. My son's Acer Nitro 5 displayed a “critical error" blue screen, and when he tried to turn it on again, he got a "no bootable device" message. I looked at different topic on the forum before creating mine.  I tried to get to the factory settings reset menu (Alt +F10), but I couldn't. I hit F2 and went to the BIOS. The hard drive HDD0 is not recognized. I tied to de-seat and re-seat the SSD drive, but it's still unrecognized. Do you have any ideas ? I'd really appreciate your help, since my son has got his university application letters in his computer. And with the containment here in France, I can't go to a computer repair shop. Many thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    If the HDD doesn't show up in the BIOS Information tab, then its connector to the mainboard probably needs to be re-seated a half-dozen or so times to clean its contacts. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,324 Pathfinder
    Options
    @megabob dropped/hit your laptop ?
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • megabob

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    If the HDD doesn't show up in the BIOS Information tab, then its connector to the mainboard probably needs to be re-seated a half-dozen or so times to clean its contacts. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks for your answer! I already tride to remove the socket a half dozen time, and the connector looked clean. But I can try again.
  • megabob

Tinkerer

Options
    @megabob dropped/hit your laptop ?
    Not recently, my son said....
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,324 Pathfinder
    Options
    @megabob most probably your hard drive is damaged.
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • megabob

Tinkerer

Options
    @megabob most probably your hard drive is damaged.
    That's what I'm afraid of.... Is it easy (and not too expensive) to replace ?
  • JackE
    Options
    Please post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• megabob

Tinkerer

edited March 2020
    Options
    JackE said:
    Please post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab if possible. Jack E/NJ

Edited the thread to hide sensitive information
    Acer-Samuel
    Here it is ! Thanks
  • JackE
    Options
    I believe you're re-seating the wrong HDD. You seem to have a RAID setup with an m.2 SSD card as the HDD0 that's not detected in the BIOS Information tab.  It should be located just above the RAM module socket. Remove its hold down screw and try re-seating it a few times. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• megabob

Tinkerer

edited March 2020
    Options
    JackE said:
    I believe you're re-seating the wrong HDD. You seem to have a RAID setup with an m.2 SSD card as the HDD0 that's not detected in the BIOS Information tab.  It should be located just above the RAM module socket. Remove its hold down screw and try re-seating it a few times. Jack E/NJ

Oh ? my bad ! Does that mean that I have to remove the whole back of the laptop?  Or do I just have to open the  ram module door ?Would you have a tutorial ? Thanks !

Edited the thread to hide sensitive information
    Acer-Samuel
  • JackE
    Options
    For your inconvenience, you must first remove the 2.5" HDD & RAM modules and doors. Then 15 screws holding the base cover to the top cover. Then pry the base cover away from the top cover starting from the left hand side working your way around. A credit card wedge helps. You will probably break a few plastic tabs and curse during the process but nothing the 15 screws can't handle when you put it all back together.

Once the back cover is off, the next obstacle is disconnecting the battery pack from the mainboard by pulling on the piece of  tape that holds its connector to the mainboard. Then removing two screws and removing the battery pack.

Locate the m2 SSD and remove a single screw. The card will pop up to remove. Repeat the process by re-inserting and pushing the card down a few times to clean the contacts in its socket.

Then button it all back up and keep your fingers crossed.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ