Bootable HDD not showing in boot order section

CarazanuV
CarazanuV Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hello.
I have an Acer Aspire TC-780 and recently I installed a second HDD.
I want to dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint.
My problem is that the second HDD shows in advanced option, but it doesn't in boot options, even if I change to legacy.
There was a post here but there were no results.
The USB Installation medium shows in boot options.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Typically you have to have an OS installed on the drive before it's shown in the list. Your Windows 10 wants to boot in UEFI mode, so you'll want to install a UEFI Linux distribution. Likely you will have to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS in order to boot from an unsigned UEFI image. Boot the Linux install USB, have it install to the second drive and tell it to use UEFI instead of Grub and you should be good to go.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CarazanuV

Tinkerer

I have Secure Boot disabled.
    The problem is that the drive shows in advanced options, but it doesn't show in boot options.
    When I installed it, I formated the drive as GPT, created an efi partition(that's where I installed the bootloader), a swap partition and and ext4 partition(that's where I installed linux).
    But still no luck.
    Thanks for the response thought.
  • ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited April 2020
    hi,

it is not clear to me what you have done and whether you have installed linux on the 2nd HDD.

you said that you gpt formated the 2nd HDD and created a efi, swap and ext4 partition. Well normally you don't need to prepare this in advance, as the linux installer will do it for you.

Before you install linux with the usb stick, make sure that in BIOS you enable F12, so you can later choose your boot options.

Make sure if you are in the usb linux installer mode, that you see your first and second drive as sda and sdb, or nvme01 and sda, depending whether your first drive is a sdd.

Then it is important that you do a custom install where you can create your linux partitions and THEN choose to install the linux boot loader on the 2nd drive and not on the first drive. 

Hope this helps. Good luck! 
  • CarazanuV

Tinkerer

edited April 2020
    I did exactly as you said and it didn't show.Also I tried another HDD with Linux on it and it didn't show. I found a post in this forums referring to my problem, but is another model
    Also I tried installing without creating efi partition. 
    Can I post the link to the post here?
    Thanks for your suggestion.
  • ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited April 2020
    - are you sure your linux mint installation is uefi compliant?
    - did you check with the usb live installation that the boot order is correct? you can use the "sudo efibootmgr" command to check the boot order and the same command with --bootorder flag to change the boot order so linux grub menu is booted first
  • CarazanuV

Tinkerer

Well, it should because it has .efi files
    Now I am trying to install Linux Mint on MBR formated drive, because it might recognize it with CSM enabled
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Mint supports UEFI booting, but you have to create the right install flash drive. Here's an old article with instructions, but I'd use Rufus instead of the older tool they suggest. Do you have Fast Startup disabled in the BIOS?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CarazanuV

Tinkerer

I used Rufus for creating USB Bootable drive.
    There is no Fast Startup in BIOS, but I disable the one in Windows.
    I resolved my issue by formatting the drive in MBR, and installing Linux Mint in Legacy Mode.
    Whenever I want to boot W10 I change the boot filter to UEFI
    Still, thanks to all who gave their suggestion.