Predator Triton 500 - cooling issues

agentofrandom
agentofrandom Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new to having a gaming PC (previously just a console gamer), so I am looking for advice from anyone with a little more experience.

My Triton laptop (PT-515) w/2080max Q has had unusually high CPU temperatures since I purchased it. The temp will often hover between 45-65 celsius even when only Chrome is in-use. Because of this, the fan is almost always on, even when I am just in Chrome with 1-2 tabs open.

It was so bad at first that I did actually send it back to Acer, who claimed to have replaced the cooling paste, but it seems to still have issues. Here are some other details:
  • I initially did not have NVidia Optimus turned on - enabling that has helped a bit, however I am still seeing what I imagine are unusually high CPU temps
  • The CPU temp sometimes spikes up to like 85-87 degrees, even with nothing happening, then will jump back down to 65-75
  • If I pick up the laptop, it is only slightly warmer than room-temperature, so I sometimes wonder if internal the temperature gauge is just wrong
  • I am using an external MSI displayport monitor - it has Freesync enabled and is running at 144hz refresh rate. The fans do seem a bit crazier when the monitor is connected, so I am not sure if that's a factor
  • Acer support had me update the firmware/bios, but that hasn't helped much either
Anyone have any experience with a similar issues, or any ideas what could be causing this? I am grateful for any help!

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    The external monitor may be forcing temperatures up, please disconnect it and report back with disconnected temperatures. The only excessive temp you have is the spike of 87deg.
    In general, routine use is around 45 - 65 deg and gaming is up to 85 -87 deg
    You state that you are new to gaming laptops so you must understand that they run way hotter than a regular laptop and cooling is a major issue. You have a lot of high powered hardware stuffed into a confined case, the fans run all the time and can be noisy. A few tips, use a good quality USB powered cooling mat, when gaming set your fans on Max and in Task Manager/Start up, disable any startup apps that you don’t need at startup for example Skype etc. Uninstall 3rd party antivirus such as Mcafee or Norton and use the built in Windows Defender instead.
    Bear these things in mind and do the things above, if you still have those 87 deg spikes during regular use let us know and we can look at undervolting.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    The external monitor may be forcing temperatures up, please disconnect it and report back with disconnected temperatures. The only excessive temp you have is the spike of 87deg.
    In general, routine use is around 45 - 65 deg and gaming is up to 85 -87 deg
    You state that you are new to gaming laptops so you must understand that they run way hotter than a regular laptop and cooling is a major issue. You have a lot of high powered hardware stuffed into a confined case, the fans run all the time and can be noisy. A few tips, use a good quality USB powered cooling mat, when gaming set your fans on Max and in Task Manager/Start up, disable any startup apps that you don’t need at startup for example Skype etc. Uninstall 3rd party antivirus such as Mcafee or Norton and use the built in Windows Defender instead.
    Bear these things in mind and do the things above, if you still have those 87 deg spikes during regular use let us know and we can look at undervolting.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• agentofrandom
    agentofrandom Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

Thanks! The temperature does go down to closer to 45 average when the monitor is not disconnected.

But that eases my mind a bit, I thought the average temps being 55-65 was potentially dangerous, if that's normal then I won't worry so much.