Acer Aspire A315-54 : Legacy BIOS Missing

HamzaHassain
HamzaHassain Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hello,

I have problem - I want to install KaliLinux on laptop which has Windows 10. Problem is, that no device, USB or DVD, can be used to boot, as laptop doesnt even allow such option. Formus say that it works after changing Boot method from UEFI to Legacy, but my BIOS offers only UEFI.

what to do now?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    Hello,

I found an article that explains how to get Kali Linux from the App Store.  The article also says that you can "upgrade it to the full blown install with all the bells and whistles."  I haven't tried it though so I'm not sure if the "full blown install" includes a GUI or is command line only.

I'm not sure how to uninstall it.  I found an article by google searching, but you can check Kali forum for proper procedure to uninstall it if you don't want Kali Linux anymore.

A lot of people recommend keeping your files backed up and creating a Windows USB recovery drive with Acer Care Center or other method.

Good luck.

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/156972-install-kali-linux-on-windows-10-from-the-app-store

https://www.petri.com/how-to-uninstall-and-reset-windows-subsystem-for-linux-distributions

https://my.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38145/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTg1NTg3NjMxL2dlbi8xNTg1NTg3NjMxL3NpZC9mVXJzcVJDejNVZk5PJTdFcXJrTnV2WWIwVHNxaG1UT1cyeTFBVEh5QVVrZUdwdm1lT0xQY3BjNUhQMHozVW9wV2EyZ1dsNjFjcDVZUW0lN0VJYXUwZXRFeWRkZDc3YWpKMmZwd0xnRWxxa1MyRWppQ2JCdTBDT2NWWUdnJTIxJTIx

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Today's laptops no longer have legacy mode. To install Linux, do the following:
    a) enable safe boot, if you have windows installed and restart windows:

b) then, change sata mode to ahci no bios. You may need to press ctrl + s on the main tab.
    c) then create a password in setsupervisorpassword to disable secureboot and activate the f12 boot menu.
    d) assuming you have already configured the usb stick for gpt and have the linux iso x64, press f12 before the Acer logo and select the usb stick.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • oraculorafa
    oraculorafa Member Posts: 4 New User
    Today's laptops no longer have legacy mode. To install Linux, do the following:
    a) enable safe boot, if you have windows installed and restart windows:
    b) then, change sata mode to ahci no bios. You may need to press ctrl + s on the main tab.
    c) then create a password in setsupervisorpassword to disable secureboot and activate the f12 boot menu.
    d) assuming you have already configured the usb stick for gpt and have the linux iso x64, press f12 before the Acer logo and select the usb stick.
    Wow, just great, I spent hours trying to find out a possible way to boot an elder OS, and now I found out about the Ctrl+S trick. I'm trying to install Windows 7, can you tell me if it will work this way? My USB drive is UEFI created with Rufus, and previously I have managed to run the first part of Windows 7 setup on UEFI, and when it reboots I was frozen in the screen "Starting Windows". I hope it starts fine now that it's configured for AHCI, I'll post results here.
  • oraculorafa
    Wow, just great, I spent hours trying to find out a possible way to boot an elder OS, and now I found out about the Ctrl+S trick. I'm trying to install Windows 7, can you tell me if it will work this way? My USB drive is UEFI created with Rufus, and previously I have managed to run the first part of Windows 7 setup on UEFI, and when it reboots I was frozen in the screen "Starting Windows". I hope it starts fine now that it's configured for AHCI, I'll post results here.
    Still frozen, even with AHCI. What to do next to install the second part of Windows 7 Setup?
  • Does this model have the bootmode function in the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • oraculorafa
    Does this model have the bootmode function in the bios?
    Yes. I press Enter key and it only shows "UEFI", it doesn't show "Legacy" to change. Is there any trick (like Ctrl + S) to show the Legacy option? It's not there, not even grayed. Secure boot disabled, supervisor password already set, SATA mode Already AHCI.
  • I don't think there is. In addition, current notebook models no longer support legacy bios.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Madprof
    Madprof Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi guys so how do we solve this problem of the PC not showing legacy mode only shows UEFI in boot mode of Acer aspire 3 A315-33.

Please help guys I have I clients laptop here and am stuck now

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

This discussion has been closed.