Duksi
Duksi Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello
Patient: Acer F5-573g-58t1
CPU: i5-7200U (2 cores, 2.5 - 3.1GHz)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX (2GB VRAM)
RAM: 8 GB (SO-DIMM DDR4, 2400MHz)

As in thread, my laptop got big performance drop. And as I say "big performance drop", I mean drop of frames in GTA V from stable 60fps to unstable 20-30fps. The problem is in all sort of games, GTA is just an example.
After I bought an PC, i tried to give my laptop some refresh. So I gave it to my friend and he cleaned it a bit and he put new thermal paste. I also changed old HDD to SSD - Crucial MX500 2,5" 250GB SATA III (CT250MX500SSD1).
I really don't know what is making problems, I spend a lot of time in software settings (power modes, nvidia settings, bios settings) and I coudn't achive performance from time when I got an HDD. I also chekced previous version of GTA and older NVidia drivers, but that lead me nowhere, as the problem continued. 
All drivers are up to date, BIOS is up to date, and the problem don't want to disappear. I don't think that SSD can bottleneck my laptop, so I can only think about badly placed thermal paste, but the temperatures are pretty normal - up to 80 C while playing.
I even overclocked GPU for a while, and it didn't gave me even a frame. 
Can anyone think of any explanation of this? Because I got no idea anymore.

Also my next step is to change RAM to 2x HyperX 8GB 2400MHz CL14 Impact Black (HX424S14IB2/8) and, if possible - to change fan for a new one, but if I don't resolve performation problem, that changes can be pointless.

[sorry for not perfect english, hope everything is understandable]

Best regards

Best Answer

• Duksi
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It was drivers problem, I installed fresh windows on SSD and only updated it. Frames came back to normal. 

Answers

• Duksi
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It was drivers problem, I installed fresh windows on SSD and only updated it. Frames came back to normal. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Congrats on your success. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ