GPU fan makes a loud clicking vibrating noise on my Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52)

UcheUche Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2020 in Predator Laptops
Hello guys,
I just got the 2019 Predator Helios in January this year. I got it from Amazon (the main Amazon choice retailer). I've used it for some weeks now and then all of a sudden, 2 days ago, I start hearing a clicking sound from one of the fans. The laptop also vibrates like I have a hard drive in it but I don't have a mechanical hard drive installed on it yet, just an M.2 SSD. The GPU fan makes this noise whenever I turn the laptop on and the only way to shield the noise a little is to increase the fan speed to something above 3600rpm. It feels like the fans are brushing against the top or bottom of the covering.
I've only opened up the laptop to add an additional M.2 SSD and to have a look at the fan to see if anything got stuck, that's all.
Its been barely 2 months and I stay in Nigeria. Please how can this be fixed?
Does my warranty extend to Nigeria? If not, can I buy a new AeroBlade fan (not plastic) to replace it, and how do I go about that?
My model is the Predator Helios 300
Product Name: PH315-52
Serial Number: NHQ5MAA001XXXXXX
SNID: XXXXXX

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
Acer-Samuel

FAQ & Answers

• LuchodefiLuchodefi Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi @Uche! Have you solved the problem? I am having the same issue and I can’t find a solution, thanks!
  • FogaFoga Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Just started having the same issue. shipped mine to Nigeria too
  • FogaFoga Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Just started having the same issue. shipped mine to Nigeria too
  • youssefshawkyyoussefshawky Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    MakeOutHill thanks so much i made an account to just say thanks and it works perfectly, there's no fan noise after i cleaned andi a drop of machine oil on the fan 
  • OLIOOLIO Member Posts: 6 New User
    hi i have the same problem but my gpu fan has stopped working fully. i dont know why? but i think i have warrenty
  • ArjunRanjanArjunRanjan Member Posts: 3 New User
    I also had the same problem but I ignored it, now my GPU fan stopped spinning
    if anyone has this proble don't ignore it like me

• xapimxapim ACE Posts: 6,187 Pathfinder
    edited July 2020
    ArjunRanjan yes this issue shouldnt be ignored its a sign that might be broken blades or fan itself failing  best case scenario would be just a wire touching the blades but unfortunately this is not always the case the best if still on warranty its to contact acer support asap and send it back but if out or warranty open it asap too check the issue   :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1969145569968592/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• OvainOvain Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I also had the same problem but I ignored it, now my GPU fan stopped spinning
    if anyone has this proble don't ignore it like me

dude what did u do about it??

• EmergentEmergent Member Posts: 4 New User
     i actually found a fix that worked for me without replacing anything, i think the fan come with no lubrication or something that make that bad rattling noise  first you need to remove the fan from its pin after you unscrew the cover  then pull the fan away from the pin its actually connected with just magnets  watch this video  for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewbMYAB0qwM then lubricate the pen with oil or if you have something better i done it with a car engine oil and it works really great  i took a cotton ear swap and dipped it in the oil and lubricated the pen carefull not to get messy and touch also the hole between the magnets with the ear swap try to get the oil in but not much be sensitive and take your time  be carefull when removing the 3D fan because it actually hard to pull this one out not like the CPU one its very easy and try not to damage the fan try to use all your finger to pull it out now put all the things back and try if this fixes any thing and please let me know if it does. and yeah another thing if you look closely you will see (or in my case) a red paint or a red something that was on the fan if you saw somethig like that try to get a razor or a knife and scratch this paint as i think it was doing some uneven weight on the fan when it spin and again try to be carefully and dont damage the fan and i washed the fan with water and soap because its stainless steel I think 🤔 then alcohol ofcourse and let it dry before putting it back together. 
    This worked great.  I pulled the cover off, and then the cover over the GPU fan.  I was able to very carefully lift the fan by the blades to remove it.  Once I had it off I used canned air to blow the dust off of everything in the area and the blades.  Then I sprayed WD-40 into the pin area when it was away from the laptop and wiped off the excess.  

(updated - shortly after I posted this the noise came back.  I'm going to get some better lube from work and try again later.)
  • wiktor_kwiktor_k Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited May 26
     i actually found a fix that worked for me without replacing anything, i think the fan come with no lubrication or something that make that bad rattling noise  first you need to remove the fan from its pin after you unscrew the cover  then pull the fan away from the pin its actually connected with just magnets  watch this video  for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewbMYAB0qwM then lubricate the pen with oil or if you have something better i done it with a car engine oil and it works really great  i took a cotton ear swap and dipped it in the oil and lubricated the pen carefull not to get messy and touch also the hole between the magnets with the ear swap try to get the oil in but not much be sensitive and take your time  be carefull when removing the 3D fan because it actually hard to pull this one out not like the CPU one its very easy and try not to damage the fan try to use all your finger to pull it out now put all the things back and try if this fixes any thing and please let me know if it does. and yeah another thing if you look closely you will see (or in my case) a red paint or a red something that was on the fan if you saw somethig like that try to get a razor or a knife and scratch this paint as i think it was doing some uneven weight on the fan when it spin and again try to be carefully and dont damage the fan and i washed the fan with water and soap because its stainless steel I think 🤔 then alcohol ofcourse and let it dry before putting it back together. 
    Hello.
    I read your post and wanted to ask about something else related to this topic.
    I had a Nitro 5 for a while and at low RPM the fan was emitting a 1-2kHz tone coming from the PWM control.
    At high RPM the fan worked like a small jet engine :(
    Here's the sound at lowest RPM:
    I returned it to the store and now I'm thinking of buying a Predator Helios 300: PH315-53-74G2
    From the Acer support I received information that the cooling in the Helios 300 is different than in the Nitro 5 (question: is it better ot the same?)
    I wonder if if I buy it, I will be able to improve it myself?
    If the fan rotor can be removed so easily, maybe it will be good to put the some kind of epoxy resin at the windings and maybe this helps with their resonance and permanently block the "whistle"?
    Unfortunately, it may turn out that the entire rotor with the fan blades emits these annoying sounds - then nothing can be done :(

Is this the kind of noise you are experiencing on your laptop?

thanks, wk
  • MitsuTachiMitsuTachi Member Posts: 1 New User
    So, I bought a Predator Triton 300, 2 months ago and it has THE SAME PROBLEM.
    I have contacted warranty center and they will be fixing it shortly,
    What I want to know is that WHY is this happening ?? Seems like an issue with a lot of laptops.