Problem with my 16" Macbook Pro and Acer monitor

J_Salomon
J_Salomon Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 23 in 2020 Archives

A few months ago I bought an Acer XR342CK and it worked fine with my 2015 Macbook Pro using a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. I later decided to buy the newer 16-inch MBP as well as a USB-C to DisplayPort cable from Uni. I plugged my new laptop to the Acer monitor using the new cable and it would go black and turn back on every few seconds. I connected my new laptop to the monitor with an hdmi cable and it worked fine. Refresh rate was locked at 30Hz but that was expected.

Thinking it was the cable that might be the problem I plugged the 16" MPB to a Dell monitor using the same Uni cable and it worked fine. Then I borrowed a 2018 MBP and used that same cable to connect it to the Acer monitor and it also worked fine.

Can someone tell me if they know where the problem is? Frankly I have no idea where the problem is. I have asked for help on Uni and Apple websites and I'm still waiting for a reply.

Thanks!

In case anyone is wondering this is the cable I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-uni-Thunderbolt-Compatible-More-Gray/dp/B075V27G2R

I'll also leave my 16" MBP specs in case it might help:

2.3GHz 8-core i9 processor

Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB

1TB SSD

32GB RAM

Answers

• khalpin11
    khalpin11 Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    same issue same specs. tried multiple diff adapaters and cables. were you able to find a solution J_Salomon
  • J_Salomon
    edited May 2020
    khalpin11 said:
    same issue same specs. tried multiple diff adapaters and cables. were you able to find a solution J_Salomon
    Not yet khalpin11.

Last time I was in a call with Apple a senior advisor told me that my case was going to be brought up to the engineers and they will have to take a look. He also told me that when that happens a reply make take anywhere from a few days to a few MONTHS.

I called them again a few hours ago today and my case was still in queue...so I'm still waiting.

By the way are you having issues with the same monitor?
  • Tagg
    Tagg Member Posts: 2 New User
    I can relate. I was directed by Acer to use this community site as my product is no longer under warranty which expired in January 2020. 

I’ve noticed a similar issue in which the monitor goes black and then comes back on. With prolong use, the black and on screen frequency increases to point it starts flickering/static all across the screen, then the screen starts popping as there is an electrical short. I’ve gone through multiple cables using multiple monitor ports and the problem consist. I’ve reached out to Apple multiple times thinking it was computer related. Apple replace the logic board and the problem continued. Then I’ve reached out to Acer and Acer advised that I’ve sent the monitor back to Acer in which I had to pay for the shipping cost ($278) for repair. Acer replaced the logic board and about a month later the problem continued. So then purchased a new thunderbolt dock. That didn’t help. Reached back to Apple and they replaced the logic board again. A month later the issue continued. It got to point that the monitor was unusable. Apple convinced me that it was a computer issue and I purchased a new 16 MBP computer. Received the new computer two weeks ago and the problem still continues. By process of elimination, that leads me that it was the monitor all along. 

Acer offered to a 10% discount to purchase a new monitor. I’ve spent good money to purchase this monitor on top of the shipping cost for the repair. I basically think its a waist of money. If giving the option, please have them to replace the monitor with a different model instead of repairing this one. It’s not worth it.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BillMiner1
    BillMiner1 Member Posts: 5 New User
    My new MacBook Pro 16" work fine with my Acer S271HL Display with the lid open but when I try to go into Clamshell Mode the monitor displays "Input Not Supported. I have used multiple adapters with no resolve. I hooked my MacBook up to a LG HDMI TV with the same adapters and they all work fine in Clamshell Mode. Through weeks of trouble shooting between CalDigit, Apple, and Acer I am convinced it is the Acer S271HL Display that is the problem but they seem unwilling to resolve. 
  • @BillMiner1 I would try to disable quick startmode.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BillMiner1
    Quick Start Mode was disabled. Thanks
  • Does the problem still occur?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BillMiner1
    Yes, the problem still occurs. I ordered a new Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI cable to try to see if it fixes it. I do believe there is a problem with the Acer Display.
  • BillMiner1
    Anybody else have any ideas?
  • J_Salomon
    J_Salomon said:
    khalpin11 said:
    Not yet khalpin11.

Last time I was in a call with Apple a senior advisor told me that my case was going to be brought up to the engineers and they will have to take a look. He also told me that when that happens a reply make take anywhere from a few days to a few MONTHS.

I called them again a few hours ago today and my case was still in queue...so I'm still waiting.

By the way are you having issues with the same monitor?
    Small update: 

As of July 6th, I have yet to receive a response from Apple. I will post one more update once Apple calls back with either good or bad news. No post means no contact from Apple yet.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    I'm not positive, but I believe Apple tweaks their video a bit to make them work better with Apple monitors and worse with everyone else... At least these type of issues are really, really often on Macs.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BillMiner1
    I believe that the Acer monitor is the problem, I can take my MacBook Pro with the same adapters and hook it up to an LG HDMI TV I have and it works perfectly in clamshell mode. I have basically ruled out the MacBook and all the adapters I have purchased and tried at this point. Acer support just basically told me yesterday sorry but they do not support Apple.