Acer Chromebook CBS-312T Slow wifi speed

Options
lailaw
lailaw Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2023 in Chromebooks
Hi, I'm helping a friend with slow wifi speed. The software is updated. With cable connection directly to the router my friend gets almost 100 Mbit/s but with wireless only about 7. My PC gets around 35. The Chrome Connectivity Diagnostics finds nothing wrong.

Acer Chromebook CBS-312T model N16Q10 and the router is an ASUS RT-AC51U. 

On my own faster network the same Chromebook clocks in at 180 Mbit/s with wireless, also with an ASUS router, an RT-AC66U.

What would you recommend.
[Edited the thread to add model name]

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Since the chromebook seems to connect OK with your router, then follow the steps in this link to try to tune to the better band, probably 2.4GHz with your friend's router.

Try the first suggestion of trying to sync the devices by turning off both the router and chromebook. Then turn the router back on till the router has completely booted up and connected itself to the network. Then turn the chromebook on and let it try to sync itself. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lailaw
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks, will try.

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Doesn't seem to be the Chromebook? How close and oriented is it to the 51U vs 66U antennas? Are the bands synced between the Chromebook and 51U? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lailaw
    Options
    Thanks, JackE. The antennas of the router in my friends house is on the ground floor, while the Chromebook is on the second. It's difficult to move the router because of a Viasat installation with cable (from router to TV). My router is also not on the same floor of my house. Moving my PC around doesn't seem to affect the wifi speed.

Your question abouts sync bands is above my level of understanding. How can I sync the bands? Can that increase the speed? My friend needs a change from 7 to about 10 Mbit/s for the usage shs wants.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Since the chromebook seems to connect OK with your router, then follow the steps in this link to try to tune to the better band, probably 2.4GHz with your friend's router.

Try the first suggestion of trying to sync the devices by turning off both the router and chromebook. Then turn the router back on till the router has completely booted up and connected itself to the network. Then turn the chromebook on and let it try to sync itself. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lailaw
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks, will try.
  • baozaboy
    baozaboy Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    Options

Try factory reset ur chromebook and setup again and do a wifi speed test.