Aspire 1830T Series MS2296 Can't Boot From USB

Forgettable
Forgettable Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, so I have an Acer laptop and I'm trying to boot it from a USB stick so that I can reformat it, but I keep getting the error shown below (EFI Part - Please remove this media and press any key to reboot).

I have tested the USB stick which has a Windows 7 Home Premium OS loaded into it and I can install on my other PCs just fine, however on this laptop it won't load. I've done some research already trying to find a solution but have been unsuccessful so far. Most problems like this relate to Secure Boot not being enabled, and requiring a supervisor password, however you can see in the pictures below that my BIOS doesn't even display an option for Secure Boot, greyed out or otherwise.

I've actually tried two different USB sticks with Windows 7 loaded onto them but the result is the same. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I'm missing, can anyone help?

Aspire 1830T Series
Model: MS2296
DC Rating: 19V 2.15A

MFG Date: KS 100802
Aspire 1830T-3730
S/N LXPTT0201XXXXXXX
SNID: XXXXX

Thanks,

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
Acer-Samuel

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Looks like the flash drive is configured to boot EFI and the laptop is legacy only. You need a legacy boot flash drive, so MBR not GPT.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Looks like the flash drive is configured to boot EFI and the laptop is legacy only. You need a legacy boot flash drive, so MBR not GPT.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Forgettable
    Forgettable Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks Billsey, all I had to do was create a USB with MBR format instead of GPT and it worked fine.
  • billsey
    Perfect! Let us know if you run into any other issues.