Acer Nitro AN515-42 Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter Issues

Poyda9_
Poyda9_ Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2023 in Nitro Gaming
Hi all 

having constant issues with the Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adaptor and my Acer Nitro AN515-42

The adaptor itself misbehaves quite a bit, it frequently drops out and to be able to re-connect to the internet i either need to disable then re-enable the device itself or use the troubleshooter, where it resets the adaptor for me 

thins only seems to happen on certain connections (not so much on my home wifi) but very frequently at mates placed and such. 

All drivers and windows 10 have the latest updates 

P.S some advice i've looked up has said i need to edit the modem settings - this is not an option for me as these modem and connections are not mine so therefore i cannot edit the settings. All the systems always come back okay too. 

hopefully i can fix this issue, this aptip cost me quite a bit and not being bale to use well is quite annoying 
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,297 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    Poyda9_ said:
    Hi all 

having constant issues with the Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adaptor and my Acer Nitro AN515-42

The adaptor itself misbehaves quite a bit, it frequently drops out and to be able to re-connect to the internet i either need to disable then re-enable the device itself or use the troubleshooter, where it resets the adaptor for me 

thins only seems to happen on certain connections (not so much on my home wifi) but very frequently at mates placed and such. 

P.S some advice i've looked up has said i need to edit the modem settings - this is not an option for me as these modem and connections are not mine so therefore i cannot edit the settings. All the systems always come back okay too. 

hopefully i can fix this issue, this aptip cost me quite a bit and not being bale to use well is quite annoying 

Try this-
    1) go to device manager 
    Find your Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless in Network Adaptors

2)right click on 
    Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless then  go to properties then driver tabclick on update driver it will update if there is latest driver available 

3)go to powerManagement tab and turn off the option allow the computer to turn off this device to safe power or if this setting already turn off then turn on this option 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Poyda9_
    Poyda9_ Member Posts: 2 New User
    Poyda9_ said:
    Hi all 

Try this-
    1) go to device manager 

2)right click on Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless then  go to properties then driver tabclick on update driver it will update if there is latest driver available 

3)go to powerManagement tab and turn off the option allow the computer to turn off this device to safe power 
     hi! 

did this before (like a month ago) it hasn't worked! im also now at the point where i cant update the driver 
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,297 Pathfinder
    Poyda9_ said:
    Poyda9_ said:
    Hi all 

Try this-
    1) go to device manager 

2)right click on Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless then  go to properties then driver tabclick on update driver it will update if there is latest driver available 

3)go to powerManagement tab and turn off the option allow the computer to turn off this device to safe power 
     hi! 

did this before (like a month ago) it hasn't worked! im also now at the point where i cant update the driver 
    Right click on it uninstall driver and restart you system 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You could try using different DNS address, there are few good DNS providers and better than default DNS address, go to Network and sharing centre, click your WiFi, select Properties, highlight IPV4 and select Properties, change the DNS address at the next window.
    Google DNS: Primary 8.8.8.8
                       Secondary 8.8.4.4
    Open DNS: as in my snip.
    Cloudflare: 1.1.1.1

• holyjesus
    holyjesus Member Posts: 3 New User
    Did you ever get this fixed? I had this same problem a while ago, and had to force install an old version of the driver. Now the problem is back after changing hard drives. 
  • tinybob
    tinybob Member Posts: 1 New User
    same here with my Aspire F5-573. the connection drops (usually during games) and when i go to device manager the wireless adapter it's gone. i have to click "scan for hardware changes" and it usually shows up...eventually. everything started about 1 month ago and it's very annoying.
  • Threeebears03
    Threeebears03 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having this same issue also. It started a couple of days ago when I was on hulu trying to watch a show. I kept getting an error message and the show seemed like it might just have buffering issues. Thought hulu was just having an issue, but noticed my wifi connection was gone. I restarted my computer and got wifi back so tried watching something on youtube, so I just figured hulu was the problem. But then it happened when I was doing other things too and couldn't get the wifi back at all and tried troubleshooting and it said there were no problems. I tried looking at the network adapter for the wifi but it was not listed at all. It had just disappeared from the list. I had to find a usb cable to hook into the back of the wifi router to be able to hook to the internet. I could then get the wifi network adapter to show up and then use laptop again, but as soon as I would try and watch a video it seemed like I would lose wifi adapter again. It's hit or miss. Today I turn my laptop on and have wifi, so I figured I should try and find a solution while I can. My laptop is only 5 months old so I am pretty frustrated. I guess I will try and uninstall the driver and try that as I already tried to update the driver and was told I have the newest one.
  • zantoka
    zantoka Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Same issue, I'm on a 575G Aspire, Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377. All the other devices in the house can connect to the WiFi with no problems, but my laptop keeps dropping every 5 minutes. I uninstall the network adapter and then restart and it helps for a while, but then the issue returns.

I found this old post and tried it but it unfortunately didn't work: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/602263/aspire-laptop-suddenly-not-connecting-to-wifi

Could it somehow be due to overheating? I recently started using Nvidia RTX Voice while on Zoom and it gets pretty hot (I turn off RTX when I'm not on Zoom to keep it from running too hot).
  • Wivz_03
    Wivz_03 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Having the same issue, need to turn the wireless adapter off and on again regularly and it's very frustrating. Seems to be when I move the laptop. Sometimes when location services come on the adapter goes down so I've tried turning off location services. Very disappointed with this Acer laptop, it's been one issue after another since I bought it. Off to search how to fix the stylus issue now.
  • zantoka
    zantoka Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

@Wivz_03 , I resorted to using a long ethernet cable for a while, then remembered an old Satechi Wireless Mini USB 3.0 Wifi Adapter we had in the closet. It's a bit annoying to have a usb sticking out on the side all the time but way better than eth cable or buying a new laptop, for now. You can get one for cheap online.
  • OzzieOiOi
    OzzieOiOi Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

zantoka said:
    @Wivz_03 , I resorted to using a long ethernet cable for a while, then remembered an old Satechi Wireless Mini USB 3.0 Wifi Adapter we had in the closet. It's a bit annoying to have a usb sticking out on the side all the time but way better than eth cable or buying a new laptop, for now. You can get one for cheap online.

Can you find these "old wireless mini usb wifi adapters" easily? I need one... as my brand new Acer "gaming laptop" has been reduced to "typewriter mode"...

At this stage, after rolling back drivers, updating drivers, plugging in ethernet cables and executing a rain dance has all come up snake-eyes... I wonder if I can find a shaman who can replace the soul of my tortured laptop who died before ever really getting familiar with the internet...
  • OzzieOiOi

Tinkerer

Wivz_03 said:
    Having the same issue, need to turn the wireless adapter off and on again regularly and it's very frustrating. Seems to be when I move the laptop. Sometimes when location services come on the adapter goes down so I've tried turning off location services. Very disappointed with this Acer laptop, it's been one issue after another since I bought it. Off to search how to fix the stylus issue now.

Never again an Acer... never, ever again.....
  • OzzieOiOi

Tinkerer

zantoka said:
    Same issue, I'm on a 575G Aspire, Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377. All the other devices in the house can connect to the WiFi with no problems, but my laptop keeps dropping every 5 minutes. I uninstall the network adapter and then restart and it helps for a while, but then the issue returns.

I found this old post and tried it but it unfortunately didn't work: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/602263/aspire-laptop-suddenly-not-connecting-to-wifi

Could it somehow be due to overheating? I recently started using Nvidia RTX Voice while on Zoom and it gets pretty hot (I turn off RTX when I'm not on Zoom to keep it from running too hot).

I can sell you my Acer gaming laptop for $15 - doesn't connect to the internet, but it looks cool... could be used as a night light if you like as the keyboard lights up all fancy-like...
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,893 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021
    Poyda9_ said:
    Hi all 

Firstly "'OzzieOiOi" you have to take the right and appropriate steps and you have to know what you are doing? As to fix WiFi and/or BT problems, they don’t just magically fix themselves and/or you blame them on Acer. I’ve never ever had WiFi and/or BT issues with Acer laptops because I’ve always fixed the source, as its either the software or the hardware!  

Now for “Poyda9_” problem, which is not really a problem as the WiFi works at his home, try the latest Qualcomm Atheros drivers on this site, here is the latest “Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A” WiFi for Win-10 64bit version 12.0.0.953 driver that is the “win10-12.0.0.953-whql.zip” and the latest BT for Win-10 64bit driver version 10.0.0.714 which is the “bt-10.0.0.714-win10.zip” for your Acer Nitro AN515-42, download those and install them.

Note: make sure that you completely uninstall all the old WiFi and BT drivers first, before you install the new drivers, if the WiFi and BT don’t activate after install and reboot press the F3 key or the Fn+F3 keys together so that the WiFi activates as sometimes they don’t. note, WiFi and BT very rarely goes wrong and that especially applies to the card but and in your case it could be that the WiFi/BT card is not seated correctly and/or the antenna wires (black and white) have disconnected from the card (check all those internally).

Btw, your card could not be faulty and/or your Nitro AN515-42 OS either, as at your home the modem is working perfectly. I suggest that when you are at an outside location just recalibrate the WiFi card and let it calibrate to the WiFi modem of your location, this is especially when the QCA61X4A card works 100% on your home modem with this card.

• Wivz_03
    Wivz_03 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Wivz_03 said:
    Update on this...

I was running my laptop on the highest performance and as a result had to charge it often. This was causing it to over heat and obviously poor battery life. Since I realized my silly error and reduced the performance level the battery is obviously much better and the network adapter is working without any problems, ever. 

Okay so I have to take a good chunk of the blame for this one but Acer a little also. I'm posting this just to help others that might be having the same issue, it was over heating that was causing the problems for me, so if you can keep your device cool then it might help.

Good luck all
  • Redmazda54
    Redmazda54 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Acer should do something.
  • TracyLiu
    TracyLiu Member Posts: 1 New User

It's three and a half years of wifi issues with this Atheros driver (12.0.0.910), has a poor understanding of multiple hardware with the same SSID, is very picky of Wifi settings on the router (if it wasn't such an important laptop, I would have different router settings to optimize the location, and not one of 100 client machines).

It's sad that we have to go look for Atheros drivers in sewers and other places.

It's sad that the Premium Support closes the window after waiting a long time, "you are the next customer" for a half hour, at 6-7AM.

It's sad that the Acer Answers website doesn't allow Comcast in Washington USA: Fatal Error: Access Denied: Reason: Client address is not authorized. (73.254.194.132), nor using VPN through South Korea or Taipei.

It's sad that I am contemplating using a 5$ USB wifi dongle to circumvent the software issues I have with this product, Aspire A515-54. We've had several Acer's in the past ten years, there weren't as many issues because the tech didn't change so much (security, Wifi standards, etc) so quickly.