PH317-51 Acer Predator Helios 300 new battery not charging when it is 100% I unplugged it goes die

Options
InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2022 in Predator Laptops
Model PH317-51, Windows 10.0.18363, BIOS V1.21 - old battery was having difficulties- battery meter would show no capacity available, but charging, it would often give a critical low battery warning or even go to sleep mode, then sometimes it would show a charge level, even up to 100%, but even when showing 100% charge, if I unplugged AC, it would only run like 5 minutes and die.  I had been keeping it plugged in pretty much all the time, and it seemed the battery had been ruined and no longer would take a charge.  I tried running it down and recharging (when it would) several times, but no change- so I bought a new battery and installed it (not on warrantee).  
New battery will not charge at all- meter shows 0% and plugged in, but not charging.  Battery charging light flashes orange.  Pushing battery reset (pinhole) for various lengths of time from 5-30 sec, uninstalling Microsoft AC adapter and ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and restarting, reseating AC adapter multiple times all have no effect.  Unplugging AC gets an immediate power off stone cold dead. What's oddest is the Device Manager shows the battery as present and working properly, and the Battery Report shows full charge capacity as equal to design capacity, which on the old battery showed reduced capacities of various severities.  It seems like the system recognizes the battery is installed, and seems to judge it in good condition, but no charge and will not take a charge.
The battery I ordered was supposed to be for the PH317-51, but the bill of lading shows it as also being for the G3-571 & 2 as well- is this right?  I did not check the part number on the battery before I installed it.  I have not re-opened the laptop yet to check for loose connections or reinstall the old battery, was wondering if anyone had other suggestions before I did that.
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    These are the correct batteries for your model directly from the Service Guide. The LGC Pt No. KT0040G.006 is common to the G3-571 and your model. Check and make sure yours is correct, you may have got a bad battery but try a battery reset first. Unplug and turn off the unit. Insert a straightened paperclip into the small hole on the underside and press for 15 seconds, leave everything alone for 15 minutes then plug in and when the charging light goes off, boot up. It seems as though it’s not charging so reseat the battery and connectors

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• InigoMontoya
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Follow-up:  Obtained a KT0040G006 replacement battery from Exact-Parts.com and installed.  Battery charged to 100% normally, and showed good life running down to ~20% in like an hour and a half, maybe more.  Charging back up now, looks good.   CDSparts.com, who sold me the unusable KT0040304etc battery under the claim is was for the PH317-51 is not responding to my inquiries about returning it, so I may have a superfluous laptop battery of indeterminate condition and a lesson regarding checking exact part numbers before ordering replacement parts, and from whom.  Thanks one more time for the response and particularly the compatibility chart!

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    These are the correct batteries for your model directly from the Service Guide. The LGC Pt No. KT0040G.006 is common to the G3-571 and your model. Check and make sure yours is correct, you may have got a bad battery but try a battery reset first. Unplug and turn off the unit. Insert a straightened paperclip into the small hole on the underside and press for 15 seconds, leave everything alone for 15 minutes then plug in and when the charging light goes off, boot up. It seems as though it’s not charging so reseat the battery and connectors

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• InigoMontoya
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Follow-up:  Obtained a KT0040G006 replacement battery from Exact-Parts.com and installed.  Battery charged to 100% normally, and showed good life running down to ~20% in like an hour and a half, maybe more.  Charging back up now, looks good.   CDSparts.com, who sold me the unusable KT0040304etc battery under the claim is was for the PH317-51 is not responding to my inquiries about returning it, so I may have a superfluous laptop battery of indeterminate condition and a lesson regarding checking exact part numbers before ordering replacement parts, and from whom.  Thanks one more time for the response and particularly the compatibility chart!

• TimmyLee
    TimmyLee Member Posts: 120 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

I'm not sure which laptop you guys are talking about. Mine says it's a System Model Predator PH317-51

, but there is no pin hole on the back, and I can find no battery. One door leads to RAM and one to the Hard Drive. I am no longer getting a charge past 89% and it's beeping at me. Had I known you could not simply replace the battery, I would not have purchased this computer. Even though it's been a great one for two years.