Acer Nitro 5 model number (AN515-54-54W2) 2nd display with USB-C port issue

Options
Phatman1759
Phatman1759 Member Posts: 2 New User
Good day to all, my wife purchased a Acer Nitro 5 model number (AN515-54-54W2) and was informed that this laptop can support dual monitors outside of the laptop screen itself. The first monitor comes up with no issue which by the way is plugged into a HDMI to HDMI port, but when she plugs in the USB C port from the computer to HDMI connection on the monitor nothing happens. I would like to know if anyone has ran into this issue, which I am sure someone has, and if there is a fix without having to return the laptop? Thank you for your support since Acer wants you to pay for support.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,055 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hello,
    Here is the specification of the USB Type-C port: One USB 3.1 Type-C Gen1 port (No support display out).
    France
  • Phatman1759
    Phatman1759 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I kind of figured that but didn't want to believe that they would sell her a computer that didn't support dual screen monitoring when that is what she asked for. Thank you for taking the time to comment and I just found a Acer Elite Support telephone number that I am going to call. Thank you again and stay safe during this crisis. You called it correct Acer Elite Support said the exact same thing, but when i asked them if it could support dual monitors they stated that it could but couldn't give me a reference item number for what was needed.
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,055 Trailblazer
    Options
    You're welcome and thank you for your message.
    France
  • Wreck
    Wreck Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    i have the same model arriving on tuesday with the intention of using it with a Side monitor. monitor has a cable with a USB C 3.1 and a USB 3.0. Do any of the USB ports have display support?
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    Nope, HDMI out only.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Wreck
    Options
    Looks like I'll try seeing if a HDMI to USB Type-C cable does the trick. Thanks.
  • Wreck
    Options
    Weird. The HDMI to type c didn't work at all. The cable Type-C to Type-C works and the Type-C to Type-A adapter work. 
  • HarryConnor
    HarryConnor Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Wreck said:
    Weird. The HDMI to type c didn't work at all. The cable Type-C to Type-C works and the Type-C to Type-A adapter work. 
    laurent_14 said:
    Hello,
    Here is the specification of the USB Type-C port: One USB 3.1 Type-C Gen1 port (No support display out).

batmalin said:
    Nope, HDMI out only.
    That's amazing news! I am super glad it worked out for you Wreck. Looks like things are heading in the right direction, finally!! 

So we can see the display is working from USB-C to USB-C on the side monitor, which is amazing!!......but I am very keen to know if G Sync is capable on the side monitor as well from the USB-C port on the Nitro 5? It's the last missing piece of the puzzle that according to every possible forum on the interwebs has no clear definitive answer.

With the announcement from display port that they now fully support USB-C (https://www.displayport.org/displayport-over-usb-c/), all signs point to the fact that YES - G sync is capable through USB-C from the Nitro 5's USB-C port to a g sync compatible monitor - most likely through a USB-C to Display port cable. No matter how hard I try I cannot find anyone out there who has actually tested it, the answer still eludes me.

I am very keen to find out if I can actually get g sync running on a new monitor from the Nitro 5, albeit with a USB-C to DP adapter, and if this is the case if anyone has tested it???

Any help is greatly appreciated as I know this is brand new territory for all but if we can get a definitive answer on this the Nitro 5 once again becomes a fully viable gaming machine, both on the go or at home with a nice big fast monitor.

Let's put our heads together people and actually solve this one once and for all!

Much love and appreciation!
  • HarryConnor
    HarryConnor Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Also, to slightly add to that is the question about whether or not full 144hz and 1080p over USB-C is now possible from the Nitro 5 - another game changer!!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @Wreck Is your model also the AN515-54? I'm asking you this information, because if the USB 3.1 port supports video display, this information should be corrected in the service guide.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • marcus_rull14
    marcus_rull14 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hello everyone, I was also looking for ways to connect YUSB type c, and in the end I was able to connect 3 monitors via the USB TO VGA
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    There is no need to change the Service Manual as there is no physical connection between DP/eDP  and USB/USB-C so Nitro line DOES NOT support Video out via USB/USB-C!
    PERIOD!

Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• LONGKK54
    LONGKK54 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Wreck said:
    HOW CAN YOU HELP ME CONNECTED. DISPLAY I CONNECT HDMI