Aspire V5-572PG will not boot

Phril
Phril Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi guys, 
I'm trying to see if I can resurrect my Aspire V5-572PG which died last year. I had a work laptop in the meantime so I never got around to trying to find out what was wrong. Circumstances have changed and I'm now without a laptop. Thanks Coronavirus! ☹️

Basically there are two lights above the keyboard, the left one indicates power (I believe) and the right one is for the battery. When I press the power button the left light flashes on and off once. I can faintly hear the fan whizzing up, but it is short lived. A second or so. The battery light is orange when plugged in and if left long enough, turns to blue indicating that it is fully charged.

Does anybody have any idea of what I could be looking at? Busted motherboard, memory, something else? 

I would appreciate any help

Answers

• Phril
    Anybody got an idea about this?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,896 Trailblazer
    Firstly, what OP is on your V5-572PG? is it Win=7 or 8 or 10? As there could be many reasons that your laptop doesn't boot, it could be hardware related or software related and since you haven't told us what was the initial problem and you only said "which died last year" which is a pretty none descriptive reason, tell us why it died last year? What were the causes etc etc as that could be the first thing to tackle, either software or hardware?

But in saying all that, this could be because of the internal battery of the V5-572PG, which is either not charging and fully and its on its way out. To inspect battery, remove bottom cover and the 17 screws that are holding it, then start separating the bottom cover from the rest of the laptop, use a guitar pick or any other piece of plastic to split the case to remove the bottom cover.

Then, inspect the battery condition (if its not bloated or corroded) and also inspect the battery plug for any corrosion on its terminals, then unplug the battery connector from the motherboard, do not pull by the wires. unplug the connector by the edges. Then do the following:

1. After you remove the battery, pug the laptop into the mains with the charger plug only and see if your laptop boots? If not then continue with the steps below.
    2. Inspect all internal components and mainboard if they have any corrosion on any parts or any of the soldered joints on the mainboard.
    3. Unplug the RAM and inspect for any cracks or burn marks, clean the bottom terminals/pins and inspect RAM for corrosion. Then put it back
    4. Inspect the HDD and do the same as the RAM. 
    5. Remove fans and clean them and clean the CPU/GPU old paste and repaste the GPU/CPU with a good paste e.g. Kryonaut High Performance Thermal Paste and use the pea drop method to refit them.

After all this, let us know if your V5-572PG boots and you can get into the BIOS (e.g. pressing F2 or F12) after doing the above? As and if its a software problem there are allot of options that can be taken and fixed to why your V5-572PG is not booting.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    If you remove your HDD, and can get in to BIOS settings by tapping F2....that's good.....and you probably just need a new HDD.
    If you remove your HDD, and can't get in to BIOS settings by tapping F2....that's usually bad.

https://youtu.be/Sg8tUXZL864
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ailsa99
    ailsa99 Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Try to perform system restore to restore your Windows according to this link:https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35232/~/how-to-restore-windows-on-my-acer-computer-using-alt-%2B-f10-on-startup
    it's highly recommended to backup your critical data on your original hard drive just in case.
  • Phril
    Hi guys, thanks for all the comments and the suggestions. @StevenGen I followed your instructions apart from the processor suggestions. Time for a new computer I think. To answer your question, it was definitely a hardware problem. No sign of life other than the fans spinning up for a second. I unplugged the harddrive, battery and replaced the cmos battery. No luck. The motherboard looks brand new. No corrosion at all. In the end, I just went with a new machine as I need something reliable during this period.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions again. 

All the best

P
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,896 Trailblazer
    Phril said:
    Hi guys, thanks for all the comments and the suggestions. @StevenGen I followed your instructions apart from the processor suggestions. Time for a new computer I think. To answer your question, it was definitely a hardware problem. No sign of life other than the fans spinning up for a second. I unplugged the harddrive, battery and replaced the cmos battery. No luck. The motherboard looks brand new. No corrosion at all. In the end, I just went with a new machine as I need something reliable during this period.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions again. 

All the best

P
    Thanks "Phril" it sound like you would need a new motherboard for the V5-572PG as it could be the i5-3337U CPU which is soldered onto the board that has gone. But, the expense would not be as much as a new laptop (if you do the work yourself?) and the V5-572PG would and could be resurrected  into an efficient and above average laptop, especially with buying an i7 CPU motherboard with an Nvidia GeForce 720M or better, then adding a 1TB SSD and adding 1x stick of 8GB of PC3-14900 RAM for a total of 12Gb RAM which will make it a pretty useful laptop and that could all be done for under US $300. I've repaired and resurrected allot of V3's and V'5 and other older laptops in this way and they work out allot cheaper and better than a new laptop of twice their repaired price. Cheers and good luck.
  • Phril
    Agreed @StevenGen. It's a nice laptop which got me through my masters thesis, including 6 months of intensive image processing. I'm in a situation where I need to find a new job asap, so I simply didn't have time to do anything advanced. I'm not going to throw it out though and once I get through this period, I'll take another bash at fixing it. We always need another laptop in this household! :-) Thanks for all the suggestions again!! Much appreciated!