Acer TC-885-UR16. Recovery backup I made

Answers

• mikejw
    mikejw Member Posts: 46 Troubleshooter
    I used the backup program right within the Acer computer. I would assume that software would make  recovery USB that works with the computer.  
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    To use your USB recovery drive that you created with Acer Care Center....

1. Go in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit (F10)
    2.  Whenever you turn on or restart your desktop, you’ll see a little reminder on your screen that DEL allows you to get in the BIOS settings and F12 allows you to bring up the boot menu. 
    3. Insert your USB recovery drive and turn on your computer (or restart your computer) and immediately start tapping the F12 key on your keyboard. 
    4. Select your USB drive from the boot menu. 
    5.  After your USB recovery drive boots, you’ll get a menu to do all sorts of things including troubleshooting and resetting your PC.  
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    edited March 2020
    edited post

• mikejw
    JordanB...Thanks for the info. Well that is a start. Now if the computer crashes, I can at least restore it back to when it came from the factory. On a monthly basis I would use Easeustodo to create a CURRENT backup of the computer. I also used Paragon in the past. How can I get the computer to boot to THAT recovery USB that I made ??  I tried the method you gave above, but it does not see the USB that I made with the other recovery software. 
  • JordanB
    Updating the BIOS isn't going to help you with your USB recovery drive problem.  But if you need instructions to update BIOS....

1. Since you said that your BIOS is older than R01-C1, then download R01-C2 from Acer's website.
    2. After you download R01-C2, then right click on it and "extract all"
    3. Follow the "ME FW & System BIOS Update SOP for Windows v3.10 " instructions in the Appendix folder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• JordanB
    edited March 2020
    mikejw said:
    JordanB...Thanks for the info. Well that is a start. Now if the computer crashes, I can at least restore it back to when it came from the factory. On a monthly basis I would use Easeustodo to create a CURRENT backup of the computer. I also used Paragon in the past. How can I get the computer to boot to THAT recovery USB that I made ??  I tried the method you gave above, but it does not see the USB that I made with the other recovery software. 
    Edited.
  • mikejw
    JordanB. Sorry I was not more specific. The USB that I created with Acer care Center, DID boot when I followed you instructions. When the computer started up while I was clicking the f12 key, I saw the Pny USB device. I then had several more options. I never got this far before, which is good if the computer crashes, but I believe the recovery will ONLY put the computer back to when it was new. Or am I wrong ?? Will it restore the computer to the time I created the USB ??
  • JordanB
    edited March 2020
    Edited post.
  • JordanB
    edited March 2020
    mikejw said:
    JordanB. Sorry I was not more specific. The USB that I created with Acer care Center, DID boot when I followed you instructions. When the computer started up while I was clicking the f12 key, I saw the Pny USB device. I then had several more options. I never got this far before, which is good if the computer crashes, but I believe the recovery will ONLY put the computer back to when it was new. Or am I wrong ?? Will it restore the computer to the time I created the USB ??
    Oh ok.  I thought you said it didn't boot.  Yes if it booted, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  I've never had one not work when I tested it.  Worst case scenario if you live in USA or Canada is you're out 50 bucks.  No big deal.  Most people won't pay $50 and will just use free vanilla Windows
  • mikejw
    JordanB.   OK, but if I need to use the USB that I created for ANY reason, will it restore the computer to when I got it about a year ago, or will it restore it to the time I created the USB ??
  • JordanB
    edited March 2020

From my recollection, you get two reset options from a USB recovery drive.

1. Reset PC  (just remove my files if you're keeping the PC)
    2. Reset PC   (Fully clean the drive...if you're selling the the PC or giviing it away.)

It definitely won't keep your personal files  and personal software if you use that USB recovery drive......you'll lose all of your files and installed programs.  Hopefully everyone backs up their important files.

And it won't necessarily put it back to new.   For example, if your TC-885 came pre-installed with Windows 10 1809, but you updated to Windows 10 1909...and then you decided to create a USB recovery drive, while on 1909, it will put 1909 on the USB recovery drive.......but for all practical purposes, it will put it back to new.  

The main thing is to create the USB recovery drive right as soon as possible when your PC is working great.  If you wait until you have problems.....that's not good.....and might be too late.

The only real way to put it back to brand new, is to immediately create your USB recovery drive right after you take your computer out of the box......or order your recovery media from Acer.  The most important thing though, is to create your USB recovery drive before you have problems and always keep your files backed up.   You might never need to use your USB recovery drive, but it's nice having a backup.  All HDD/SSDs eventually fail.

In my opinion, it's a lot more time consuming to troubleshoot a software problem than it is to just get a fresh start.  Some people spend hours and hours (days/weeks/months) on this forum troubleshooting a software or driver problem....when they could have just started over from scratch and been back in business in less than 3 hours.
  • JordanB
    edited post
  • mikejw
    OK, thanks. I will follow your directions to update the bios later on. Then my last issue is I lost the ACER CARE CENTER, and the ACER RECOVERY MANAGEMENT.  I went to the Acer support site and tried to download the one application which was the Acer Care Center, but after it downloaded, and I tried to install it, I was told that there is a newer version on my computer, and if I wanted to install the one I just downloaded, I would have to remove the newer one from the computer. Acer Care Center, and Acer Recovery Management do NOT show up when I hit the Windows Start button. Other Acer items do, but NOT those two items. I then went to Add / Remove programs, and chose to uninstall them there, but when I went back to the download site, I still can not download them  Any suggestions on how to get those two items back ??
  • JordanB
    I'll tell you what.  I'm going to do you a favor.   I'm going to create a USB recovery drive using a different method.....not from Acer Care Center......and then I'm going to reset my laptop using the USB recovery drive to test that it works.

To create USB recovery drive not using Acer Care Center

1. In the Windows Search bar, type Create a Recovery Drive and click on it, but you have to wait until I confirm it will actually include your little 1 GB Acer recovery partition.

I'm also going to create a System Image Backup and restore it so I can get right back to where I was (hopefully).  But my files are backed up and I have the original USB recovery drive that I created with Acer Care Center.....so nothing to worry about right?  ;)

This is going to take me a couple hours so.......

To answer your question about getting Acer Care Center back....I don't know.  I use Acer Care Center once to create a USB recovery drive and then I never open it again....so my knowledge of Acer Care Center is limited.
  • JordanB
    edited March 2020
    Ok, everything works fine.  Here's what I did.

1. I already use Google Drive backup and sync, but I set that up 2 or 3 years ago so my files were already backed up.

2. I created a new USB recovery drive using a 16GB USB flash drive and the method of typing "Create a USB recovery drive" in the Windows search bar.  So it appears Acer Care Center is just a portal to get to that Windows recovery drive creator.  You don't  really need Acer Care Center to create a USB recovery drive.

3.  After I created the USB recovery drive, I created a System Image and it saved it to a portable 1 TB Seagate USB HDD.

4. I booted the USB recovery drive and went to command prompt in the menu and wiped my laptop's 256GB SSD with diskpart clean.

5. Then I used the USB recovery drive to reset the PC.  It wiped all of my files and programs.  The laptop was basically like new....although it had windows 10 1909 instead of Windows 10 1803.....so I hesitate to call it a "factory" reset.  All of the Acer programs were restored.....I had previously uninstalled a few of them (Acer Portal..etc..)

6. Next, I booted the USB recovery drive with F12 boot menu and again, wiped the SSD with diskpart clean from command prompt.

7. Then I navigated to "Restore a System Image" and restored the system image that made in step 3.  The key here is when you restore a system image, you have to make sure you "exclude" your USB drive from deletion.  Very Important.  Restoring the System Image put the laptop back to exactly where it was when I replied to your post above.

8.  That's it everything works great.  It might sound like I did a lot of work, but I really didn't.  The computer does most all of the work.  I probably spent 3 minutes at the keyboard.

Hope that helps...good luck.

• JordanB
    Just an additional note.... I noticed that my USB recovery drive was also MBR partition style and it boots fine.  So that goes to show how much I don't know.  I'm going to go back and edit/delete my other post.

• mikejw
    JordanB.   Thanks for all your suggestions. I now have TWO devices that have a "recovery" on them. I have that original 64 Gig flashdrive that will boot. I found out that if I have that flashdrive connected, and then turn the computer on while clicking the F12 key, the flash drive is NOW recognized, and I can choose to boot to it. before all I saw was the Windows boot Manager. I also followed you directions and typed "create recovery drive"  in the Windows task bar. I was able to create another recovery program on my external , USB connected Seagate hard drive. This external Seagate  drive is also seen when I have it connected to the computer, and keep clicking the F12 key. It is recognized when the computer starts up, and I can choose to boot to the Seagate HD.  Many thanks for you patience. Much appreciated. Mike
  • JordanB
    You're welcome.  I really only have experience creating a USB recovery drive on a 16GB USB flash drive or 32 GB USB flash drive.  If you want to be sure it works, you might want to spring for one of the 16 GB USB flash drives just to be on the safe side.  

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-cruzer-dial-16gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-red/6248102.p?skuId=6248102&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwguzzBRBiEiwAgU0FT2v5eBZG1jCrG3CbMbU-NF18yes89EkL02XCLL8XU5TPeiwIc7zpZBoC8p4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • JordanB
    When I look at Microsoft’s instructions though, it just says USB drive.....so you should be fine.  

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,454 Trailblazer
    Best way to do a backups and an incremental backup, clone etc is with "Macrium Reflect 7.xxx" and buy it, as its not expensive and is very efficient and easy!  "Macrium Reflect 7.xxx" has either a "Flash, DVD Drive PE" option or you can install the "PE environment at Preboot" as a permanent option at your boot screen (see caption below) this will boot into the PE environment (without a flash drive or DVD) so you can do a backup restore automatically! I've been doing backups and restore(s) with Macrium Reflect for many years and its excellent and very reliable, got me out of allot of nasty situations lol