Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Ethernet disappeared, not showing up in device manager

MatthewRiley05MatthewRiley05 Member Posts: 10 New User
One day I noticed that I was on WiFi even though I had an ethernet cable plugged in. I tried replacing the cable, plugging and unplugging, going to BIOS and enabling and disabling the LAN controller, and checking device manager. There is supposed to be the Realtek GBE adapter in the device manager but it isn't there, there are also no lights in the ethernet port.

Best Answer

• billseybillsey Posts: 8,797 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    Doesn't have to die, a brownout or voltage spike could cause the same issues. The simplest/cheapest fix if the port has died is a USB->Ethernet adapter, anything USB 3.0 or better will be faster than your Internet connection, so won't be a slow down like WiFi might.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

FAQ & Answers

• brummyfan2brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 14,528 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Could you please post the full model name of your laptop, like PHxxx-xx.
    Please click "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22060540
  • MatthewRiley05MatthewRiley05 Member Posts: 10 New User
    It’s it’s the Predator Orion 3000 or P03-600
  • brummyfan2brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 14,528 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Go to Acer support site, download LAN driver version 10.36.701.2019 and install.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7712?b=1
    Please click "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22060540
    I cant install it because it doesnt detect a LAN port at all
  • billseybillsey ACE Posts: 8,797 Trailblazer
    Fire up Device Manager and tell it to show you hidden devices. See if it knows about the Ethernet port that way.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
    Nope it doesn’t show up
    Not a good sign, have you had any power events in the last few weeks? The Ethernet PHY might be zapped...
    Nope power never died.
    Accepted Answer
    Doesn't have to die, a brownout or voltage spike could cause the same issues. The simplest/cheapest fix if the port has died is a USB->Ethernet adapter, anything USB 3.0 or better will be faster than your Internet connection, so won't be a slow down like WiFi might.
    Thanks for the information
    Depending on the surge arrestor you are plugged into they might have a warranty that helps recover expenses when a surge gets through...