Fan keep spinning after shutdown.

2ley
2ley Member Posts: 26 Troubleshooter

Hello,

I have this out-of-warranty Acer Aspire 3 A315-51-582F that started exhibiting this strange behavior a few days ago.

During normal operations the Laptop is pretty quiet and works normally. Restart works normally too.

But when I shut down the Laptop, after Windows completing its shutdown process, the screen shut downs as expected, and the external power button led turning off, fan starts spinning at maximum speed and continues this way indefinitely. The only way to make it stop it’s to remove the battery which is internal and the AC power. Pressing the front power button (even for 30 secs) doesn't make it stop.

I can hear that the HDD starts working for about 10 seconds then it stops, but the fan keeps spinning.

I read some articles and they said that it could be because of HDD so I removed the HDD and after plugging in the AC power or the battery, the fan starts spinning again.

What I've tried:
Disable the fast startup;
Re-installing the windows 10;
Updating BIOS and drivers to latest versions;
Reset the CMOS battery;
Downgrading IME too.

Btw, I checked the battery health using command prompt and the health of battery is good!

I think that this is a hardware issue, but it would be nice to know which component should I replace.

Thank you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    What do you mean by re-installing Win10? Was a full erase-everything factory reset using ACER's ALT+F10 cold boot method from the hidden ACER recovery partition?

And what do you mean by CMOS battery reset? Did you replace the coin cell? Did you short its mainboard terminals? Please explain.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• 2ley
    JackE said:
    What do you mean by re-installing Win10? Was a full erase-everything factory reset using ACER's ALT+F10 cold boot method from the hidden ACER recovery partition?

And what do you mean by CMOS battery reset? Did you replace the coin cell? Did you short its mainboard terminals? Please explain.

Jack E/NJ 
    I mean by using an usb stick to format the HDD and install the windows from zero!
    As for CMOS battery reset, i mean that I shorted it using a jumper.
  • JackE
    >>>I mean by using an usb stick to format the HDD and install the windows from zero!>>>

Aye!!! You might've lost the ACER recovery partition. Try this. Shut down the laptop. Then press and hold the ALT+F10 keys. Then while still holding the ALT+F10 keys, turn the machine on. If an ACER recovery screen appears, select the option to remove everything for a factory-fresh re-set as in the video below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 2ley
    JackE said:
    >>>I mean by using an usb stick to format the HDD and install the windows from zero!>>>

Aye!!! You might've lost the ACER recovery partition. Try this. Shut down the laptop. Then press and hold the ALT+F10 keys. Then while still holding the ALT+F10 keys, turn the machine on. If an ACER recovery screen appears, select the option to remove everything for a factory-fresh re-set as in the video below. Jack E/NJ

I tried this method but unfortunately it didn't work! Any other suggestions?
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,447 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    2ley said:
    JackE said:

I tried this method but unfortunately it didn't work! Any other suggestions?
    According to me this could be a problem with the Intel Management Engine Interface. Try to disabling it 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • JackE
    Worth a try. If it still doesn't work, as a temporary measure you can gently insert a paperclip into the battery disconnect pinhole on the bottom for a few seconds. That should also stop the fan. Then we'll proceed from there on trying to fix this issue.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 2ley
    JackE said:
    Worth a try. If it still doesn't work, as a temporary measure you can gently insert a paperclip into the battery disconnect pinhole on the bottom for a few seconds. That should also stop the fan. Then we'll proceed from there on trying to fix this issue.  Jack E/NJ

Dear Jack /NJ, thank you for your recommendation!

I tried it with AC power plugged in and not plugged in too.

While the AC power is plugged in, the fan keeps spinning.
    While the AC power is not plugged in, the fan stops spinning.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,186 Trailblazer
    edited March 2020
    I would try to do the following:
    a) enter the bios and press f9 to restore it and then f10 to save on exit.
    b) then, check if the notebook is actually shutting down, checking these settings:

c) if none of these options work, restart the computer and press shift + f2 to enter the bios in factory mode. You will see something written in red above the bios. Then press f9 to restore the bios, disconnect the power adapter and then click save and shut down.
    d) then, reset the battery as shown in the video and then after press the power button for 60 seconds:
    e) right after that, connect the power adapter and check if the problem remains.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • 2ley
    I would try to do the following:
    a) enter the bios and press f9 to restore it and then f10 to save on exit.
    b) then, check if the notebook is actually shutting down, checking these settings:

c) if none of these options work, restart the computer and press shift + f2 to enter the bios in factory mode. You will see something written in red above the bios. Then press f9 to restore the bios, disconnect the power adapter and then click save and shut down.
    d) then, reset the battery as shown in the video and then after press the power button for 60 seconds:
    e) right after that, connect the power adapter and check if the problem remains.
    Dear egydiocoelho, thank you for your recommendations.
    I tried all of these, but nothing works. I used a paperclip to reset the battery (and the fan stops, but of course I can't turn on the Laptop, as expected) and as soon I release pushing the "button" or whatever is inside the hole, the fan begins spinning again.

I also checked if shutting down the PC from ubuntu (live usb) to see if this is a windows problem, but it it didn't solve the problem!

Then I had doubt that this could be even a battery (or energy) issue so I checked the battery health using the following command 
    powercfg /energy (And it shows an error!)

I attached the generated report, maybe it could help you to figure out the problem.

• 2ley
    Can anyone provide me a link of IME 9.0 or 10.0 for Acer Aspire 3, a315-51? 
  • JackE
    That's part of the BIOS firmware at this link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7210?b=1
    But you indicated earlier that you already tried the BIOS update. Did you also try to disable or enable virtualization in BIOS advanced tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 2ley
    Hi Jack,

Yeah I just wanted to retry updating and downgrading the BIOS. None of them fixed my problem!

I also followed all recommendations that Egydiocoelho wrote above but unfortunately none of them was a solution in my case.

I have to mention that I updated the BIOS about 7-8 months ago (I also re-flash the BIOS 2 days ago, after the problem came up).

If the bios causes the issue, then why it didn't cause that problem 7-8 months ago at the moment I updated the BIOS? Could that really happen?
    That makes me believe that the BIOS is not the problem! But however I downgraded, the same problem remains.

I also tried to shut down from Ubuntu (Live usb) to make sure that the problem is not related to drivers... still the same problem.

I opened the laptop to see if there is any shorted circuit but I didn't see any!

Today I generated the energy report using cmd and it shows an error.

I attached the file. Maybe this could help you to find the solution.

• I do not know if it will solve the problem, but put some layers of electrical tape to better press these buttons:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    OK. What's the priority order look like in the BIOS's Boot tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 2ley
    It's only:

1. Windows Boot Manager (WDC ...) and nothing more
  • 2ley
    I do not know if it will solve the problem, but put some layers of electrical tape to better press these buttons
    I also tried pressing it with my finger to make sure that the button is pressed. Fan (until the battery discharge) and the HDD (for about 10-20 seconds) start working without turning on the laptop!
  • It may not solve the problem, but have you tried to disable fast startup in power options?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• 2ley
    It may not solve the problem, but have you tried to disable fast startup in power options?
    I did, it didn't work. 
  • JackE
    >>>While the AC power is not plugged in, the fan stops spinning.>>>

For the time being, you'll have to unplug the charger and insert the paperclip to stop the fan. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/805966/#Comment_805966

Meanwhile, what happens when you press & hold the power button while windows is still running till the machine shuts off abnormally? Does the fan still continue to run?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 2ley
    JackE said:
    Meanwhile, what happens when you press & hold the power button while windows is still running till the machine shuts off abnormally? Does the fan still continue to run? 
    While the windows is running, fan make normal noise while after abnormal/normal shutdown fan stars spinning at maximum speed!