Acer Nitro AN515-52, keyboard BAD (nt typing or lagging) under GNU/Linux (Fedora 31). Any solution?

Options
rsandu
rsandu Member Posts: 9 New User
Hello, I have an Acer Nitro AN515-52 with illuminated keyboard. Hardware is new and good, no accidents, dust or spilled liquids, but keyboard is lagging BADLY (SOME keys - s, o, Del, 2, 4 etc. - not working at all or entering characters after more than 1 minute). Initially these keys are not working at all, then they recover "by themelves" after some time... SO is stock GNU/Linux (Fedora 31). Trying to solve this, I've succesfully upgraded BIOS to latest version, at no avail. Even opened bug 1800850 at Fedora bugzilla. I'm VERY DISSAPOINTED about this keyboard, otherwise my laptop works great. Any idea or solution, please?

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Do you have how to test the keyboard on another operating system, such as windows 10 for example?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • rsandu
    Options
    Hello,
    I have Windows 10 in virtualization, the keyboard performs the same (VERY annoying, sometimes the affected characters don't work at all for a long time, prompting me to use external USB keyboard)I still suspect that this bug is somehow connected to the BIOS, since the situation sometimes disappears without any intervention. However, I've also opened bug #1800850 to Fedora please see here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1800850
    Full hardware details for the laptop, In GNU/Linux, are here https://h-node.org/notebooks/view/en/2152/AN515-52-70PL--Nitro-5-
  • rsandu
    Options
    Hello, I have Windows 10 in virtualization, the keyboards performs the same (VERY annoying, sometimes the affected characters don't work at all for a long ti=
    me, prompting me to use external USB keyboard)I still suspect that this bug is somehow connected to the BIOS, since the situation sometimes dissappear=
    without any intervention.However, I've also opened bug #1800850 to Fedora. Full hardware details for GNU/Linux are available at h-node.org.
  • rsandu
    Options
    Hello, I have Windows 10 in virtualization, the keyboards performs the same (VERY annoying, sometimes the affected characters don't work at all for a long time, prompting me to use external USB keyboard). I still suspect that this bug is somehow connected to the BIOS, since the situation sometimes disappears without any intervention.However, I've also opened bug #1800850 to Fedora. Full hardware detail about the laptop, for GNU/Linux, are available at h-node.org.

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,324 Pathfinder
    Options
    @rsanduPress the shift key for 8 seconds and see if the problem goes away
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • rsandu
    Options
    Hello again! I've tried the solution suggested above: no, it doesn't. I truly hope that a future BIOS upgrade will solve this, since the laptop is great otherwise...
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the version of the bios? Also, what happens when you change the function key behavior?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    This looks  like a pure hw problem. Just in case install win as a dual boot and try again as I am not sure that you have low level hw access to the keyboard with a virtual machine.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• rsandu
    Options
    Hello, I have Windows 10 in virtualization, the keyboards performs the same (VERY annoying, sometimes the affected characters don't work at all for a long ti=
    me, prompting me to use external USB keyboard)I still suspect that this bug is somehow connected to the BIOS, since the situation sometimes dissappear=
    without any intervention.However, I've also opened bug #1800850 to Fedora. Full hardware details for GNU/Linux are available at h-node.org.
  • rsandu
    Options
    Hello, I have Windows 10 in virtualization, the keyboards performs the same (VERY annoying, sometimes the affected characters don't work at all for a long time, prompting me to use external USB keyboard). I still suspect that this bug is somehow connected to the BIOS, since the situation sometimes disappears without any intervention.However, I've also opened bug #1800850 to Fedora. Full hardware detail about the laptop, for GNU/Linux, are available at h-node.org.

• rsandu
    Options

• batmalin
    Options
    As stated, os on a virtual mashine has not the same low level access to the hardware. Low level driver is loaded by the linux kernel and it is providing access to the virtual mashine. Again to exclude hw issue install win as double boot to check if the issue is present. If yes then you will need new KB if no you have to wait for a kernel patch. I personally doubt that this is an issue with the kernel, but still...

• rsandu
    Options
    BIOS is 1.28, the latest I've found on website for this laptop. I've temporarily replaced the HDD with a Windows 10 one and the issue keeps reappearing. There are just a few keys working erratically or at all, such as s, o, k, Backspace, =, ). It seems more and more like a hardware issue, even if the laptop is under 1 year old and in a very good shape (no spills of liquid, no mechanical chocs, etc.). I also mention that those keys do not get illuminated when one touches them. Sometimes, they become functional "by miracle", with no intervention. Can you please indicate an AUTHORISED service in Bucharest, Romania?
  • batmalin
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Here you go neighbour- https://www.acer.com/ac/ro/RO/content/service-contact
    http://www.samabit.ro - authorised.
    Greetings from Bulgaria!
                    Please click yes if I have answered your question.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I would check if it could just be a bad connection to the motherboard.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• batmalin
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Well why to open it when he has a warraty? We don`t have warranty stickers in EU, but this is not a simple upgrade...otherwise that is what I would do.