How do I access files from a dead H340 server?

Options
Ylimor
Ylimor Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

My H340 backup server died.  I tried to access my backup drive directly but the files are in a format I cannot access.  I am assuming the Acer OS puts the files in a format for backup that is dedicated to its own OS.  How can I retrieve all my photos from the backup drive?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Did the internal drive(s) fail or was it something else? To access the backup you just need the same backup software as you were using on the server. If the MB or PSU failed then the files are also still on the main drive...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ylimor

Tinkerer

Options
    I get a red i and a red light for the bottom 2 bays.  It does not communicate with my network.  Any ideas?  Thanks for replying. Any idea what software the H340 used?
  • billsey
    Options
    The H340 ran Windows Home Server, I'm guessing the first version based on Server 2003... It most likely is setup with the drives as JBOD or RAID0. Which lights are which color on this image?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ylimor

Tinkerer

Options
    I get red i at #4 and 2 reds at #8 at Bay 1 and 8.  The OS drive is in Bay 1. Power light 1 is blue
  • billsey
    Options
    Dang, with two drives down it's going to be tough to recover anything. If you power everything down then disconnect and reconnect the SATA cables on the drives sometimes that will reset SMART enough to allow you to access any non-corrupted data for a while, until SMART errors out again. If that doesn't work you might be able to put a drive into an external enclosure and clone it to a replacement to get what's still valid off. You likely won't get the filesystem back up unless that JBOD bad disk comes back online. I'm guessing you are configured with the single drive for boot and OS and the other three as a JBOD set.
  • Ylimor

Tinkerer

Options
    I unplugged the 4 red cords and then reconnected but no change.  I then swapped them so that 1 and 2 are plugged in 3 and 4 and vice versa.  I know get a boot up with all lights out except a solid power light.  I have not hooked back up to network yet. Not sure is this will work.  I will hookup and report back.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Yoram
  • Ylimor

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks.  Are you saying get a hard disk enclosure for my HD and then use the recover tool through my desktop?
  • billsey
    Options
    I think that message was likely just a troll to promote the software and to help it's standings in the search engines. It doesn't look like they have anything that runs on a server and nothing that recovers RAID configurations.
  • Ylimor

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I am on the road and will work on this when I get back.
  • Ylimor

Tinkerer

Options
    So nothing would work on the H340 attempts.  I bought a hard disk enclosure and found I had backed up all the photos in separate folders on one of the drives.  Photos saved but H340 is worthless.  I do appreciate all the suggestions and help.

Thank you guys.
  • billsey
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, we think these things should pretty much last forever, so it's always a surprise when something fails. :( My home server isn't quite as old, but it's well on the way! :)
  • Cheayol
    Cheayol Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    So sorry to hear that, it maybe a little bit difficult, but you can try Bitwar Data Recovery to recover the files you cannot access.

• samhosting
    samhosting Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I am facing the same issue, searching on the internet. Thanks for the resolution steps.
    I will post if i get anything.