Aspire A315-41 drastically underperforming

Alekzandah
Alekzandah Member Posts: 6 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
**EDIT: FIXED LAPTOP MODEL 

I bought an Aspire A315-41 in December expecting it to run some games I play (namely Counter Strike GO, Team Fortress 2, mainly) but it has been underperforming significantly, especially considering it comes packed with an AMD Ryzen 5 CPU and a Vega 8 GPU. 

I've installed the AMD Radeon Software program and updated all drivers available but the games still barely run at 30FPS low settings. 

Any help? Just in case it comes in handy, here is a screenshot of the specs:

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,038 Pathfinder

I bought an Aspire A315-41 in December expecting it to run some games I play (namely Counter Strike GO, Team Fortress 2, mainly) but it has been underperforming significantly, especially considering it comes packed with an AMD Ryzen 5 CPU and a Vega 8 GPU. 

I've installed the AMD Radeon Software program and updated all drivers available but the games still barely run at 30FPS low settings. 

You need find settings like motion blur,vsync and turn off which cause fps drop and low fps. You can only do change in game settings because Vega 8 is integrated graphic not optimize for gaming 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Alekzandah

You need find settings like motion blur,vsync and turn off which cause fps drop and low fps. You can only do change in game settings because Vega 8 is integrated graphic not optimize for gaming 

Everything is off. Vsync, motion blur, water reflections, the whole 9 yards. My issue being a very recent laptop should be able to run these rather old games, or at least that's the hardware dictates. Isn't there anything else to tune? 
  • GAMING6698

Everything is off. Vsync, motion blur, water reflections, the whole 9 yards. My issue being a very recent laptop should be able to run these rather old games, or at least that's the hardware dictates. Isn't there anything else to tune? 
    Yes ,
    1)set your power plan to high performance 
    2) launch you game from amd radeon software 
    3)always play while charging to get 100% system performance without charging you get 50% of performance according to your system 

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Follow my walkthrough below

First if you don't have the AMD Adrenalin 2020 Control Center do this, Boot into Safe Mode and download and run DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html for a clean uninstall of your current AMD Radeon Center and Drivers then boot back into Normal Mode

The new AMD Adrenalin 2020 Control Center is designed to give support for your hardware and contains Mobile Driver support for this exact model, the Graphics Drivers on the Acer site are only base drivers. Click the link below to download the 2020 Control Center and the latest drivers for the RX560x will be automatically installed
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-1

Most of the problems I have encountered answering questions similar to yours are that users do not have the GPU set up correctly in the Control Center and are gaming on their Dedicated Vega 8 GPU which gives poor performance and is not designed for gaming. I have your exact model and my gaming experience using the AMD 2020 Control Center is good, Follow these instructions

First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into the main AC power while gaming. Make sure "High Performance when on AC", is selected in your Windows Power Plan and in Nitrosense. If you fail to do this your CPU will run at around 50% of capacity and you will experience poor game performance

Open the New AMD 2020 Control Center and click the GAMING tab then click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select ADD A GAME, navigate to your games .exe file and double click it to add it, or you can select SCAN FOR GAMES and let the Control Center search your harddrive for games to add. After successfully adding the game click on the game and you will be taken to another window and click the LAUNCH GAME tab.
    Only in this way will your games use the Discrete Rx560x GPU, NEVER launch your game through a desktop shortcut or any other way, do it in the manner I have described.

Please remember that online gaming may experience low fps and stutter due to the games servers and bottlenecking and that has nothing to do with your GPU.

PLEASE CLICK YES IF I HAVE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, THANKYOU

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Alekzandah
    andylb said:
    Follow my walkthrough below

First if you don't have the AMD Adrenalin 2020 Control Center do this, Boot into Safe Mode and download and run DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html for a clean uninstall of your current AMD Radeon Center and Drivers then boot back into Normal Mode

The new AMD Adrenalin 2020 Control Center is designed to give support for your hardware and contains Mobile Driver support for this exact model, the Graphics Drivers on the Acer site are only base drivers. Click the link below to download the 2020 Control Center and the latest drivers for the RX560x will be automatically installed
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-1

Most of the problems I have encountered answering questions similar to yours are that users do not have the GPU set up correctly in the Control Center and are gaming on their Dedicated Vega 8 GPU which gives poor performance and is not designed for gaming. I have your exact model and my gaming experience using the AMD 2020 Control Center is good, Follow these instructions

First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into the main AC power while gaming. Make sure "High Performance when on AC", is selected in your Windows Power Plan and in Nitrosense. If you fail to do this your CPU will run at around 50% of capacity and you will experience poor game performance

Open the New AMD 2020 Control Center and click the GAMING tab then click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select ADD A GAME, navigate to your games .exe file and double click it to add it, or you can select SCAN FOR GAMES and let the Control Center search your harddrive for games to add. After successfully adding the game click on the game and you will be taken to another window and click the LAUNCH GAME tab.
    Only in this way will your games use the Discrete Rx560x GPU, NEVER launch your game through a desktop shortcut or any other way, do it in the manner I have described.

Please remember that online gaming may experience low fps and stutter due to the games servers and bottlenecking and that has nothing to do with your GPU.

PLEASE CLICK YES IF I HAVE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, THANKYOU

I've done everything you said but it still doesn't run well. Any further help? 
  • andylb
    Confirm these things
    1. You are gaming plugged into the AC power with battery at 100% BEFORE gaming
    2. You are using the Windows High Performance power plan
    3. You have installed the 2020 Control center and you are launching your games using the Gaming tab in the Control center

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Alekzandah
    andylb said:
    Confirm these things
    1. You are gaming plugged into the AC power with battery at 100% BEFORE gaming
    2. You are using the Windows High Performance power plan
    3. You have installed the 2020 Control center and you are launching your games using the Gaming tab in the Control center
    I've done all of this and I still had to install graphic reducing mods to get decent FPS out of 10 year old games. 
  • andylb
    edited March 2020
    Is your problem only happening with old games?
    Also post me a screenshot if Nitrosense taken during one of the games

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Alekzandah
    andylb said:
    Happens with all games I tested. 

Here's a screenshot:
  • GAMING6698
    andylb said:
    Happens with all games I tested. 

Here's a screenshot:
    Set game profile in gaming and launch your game

• andylb
    edited March 2020
    I asked you for a screenshot if Nitrosense not your AMD center game compatibility screen which tells us nothing, Nitrosense please

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Alekzandah
    andylb said:
    I asked you for a screenshot if Nitrosense not your AMD center game compatibility screen which tells us nothing, Nitrosense please

ACER doesn't have Nitrosense for my device, apparently. 
  • andylb
    edited March 2020
    In that case please post a screenshot taken during your game of the AMD app when the Performance tab is selected, see mine below

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★