This is a temporary fix for helios 300 wifi/lan slow speeds.

Options
NOVA0
NOVA0 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

My model-

Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop PC, 15.6" Full HD 144Hz 3ms IPS Display, Intel i7-9750H, GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 256GB NVMe SSD, Backlit Keyboard

Model#- PH315-52-78VL

Story-
ive noticed a lot of people stating that their speeds have been slow on acer predator helios 300. people gave many resolutions none work. ive been researching after many failed attempts at fixing it myself, checking dns, flushing ip, using static ip, checking router, reinstalling a fresh copy of windows 10, uninstalling and reinstalling wifi adapter, checked hardware inside and re seated wifi adapter and antennas.
i ran speedtest by ookla and my speeds are 24 mbps down 4mbps up on a 600 mbps down and 17 mbps up ISP. all of my other devices are getting those speeds (17 devices) except this one. i feel ive tried everything at this point, i noticed if i didn't restart the computer after clean installing wifi/lan drivers the speed would go up dramatically, so then i tried to just turn the wifi off and back on after each boot and for some odd reason that works.

Solution-
turn on and off wifi or turn on and off airplane mode and speeds will return to what they're supposed to be. its not the actual fix but after banging my head against a wall for a couple days trying to find the issue this was the only fix i found. i hope that this helps users, i made an account and posted just to help others with this issue.

NOTE- im not sure if other models have this issue, i don't have this issue on my other acer predator 500 but if its in other models hopefully this fixes issues on any model that has this issue.

Help-
if anyone else has this issue or knows the solution please let me know. Im for certain its not my router, its not my modem, its not my ISP a clean install wont fix this. i haven't checked killer control center thoroughly but i tried disabling it at start and uninstalling and problem still persists. its this laptop, my theory is its either something in software im overlooking or some power save method or hardware which i doubt its hardware related simply because this temporary fix fixes the issue until next boot. all programs are up to date from acer.com not through acer care center app.

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    Options
    NOVA0 yup definitely i have seen this a lot i dont have this issue on mine but it really seems to be a software bug/issue or something im just wondering if trying another wifi adapter from other model or even manufacturer would still do the same maybe someone could try and share it :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• ajkumar
    ajkumar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Mine have a different issue, when i browse or do a speed test i get maximum speed same as provided by my ISP but when i use any app to download something on the laptop for ex if i am downloading a game on Steam, i am getting 1/4 of the actual speed and it is not a server or isp issue because when i download the same thing on my PC which is also connected the same network and i am getting the maximum speed.
  • TheMightyPerez
    TheMightyPerez Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    ajkumar said:
    Mine have a different issue, when i browse or do a speed test i get maximum speed same as provided by my ISP but when i use any app to download something on the laptop for ex if i am downloading a game on Steam, i am getting 1/4 of the actual speed and it is not a server or isp issue because when i download the same thing on my PC which is also connected the same network and i am getting the maximum speed.
    I am having the same issue, speed test and other devices have me about 35mbps, download anything and it caps are between 3 and 4mbps, steam, xbox pc, epic game store, all the same.

Any fix would be appreciated!
  • NOVA0

Tinkerer

Options
    Does that temporary fix remedy the situation atleast or that doesnt work for you?

it seems i may have found the issue but its still alittle aggravating because i cant pinpoint at which point this happens simply because its a fresh install with no reboot that thee speeds stay until next reboot....but i attempted a fresh install, i upgraded the m.2 ssd in it and for some odd reason (no correlation between the 2) the problem disappeared i reinstalled all my drivers as normal and it was still ok, now it doesnt do it as much but often it will  go back to the same issue, i really think its the killer wireless program, but it is program related, but since its tied to the wifi and lan installation i cant choose not to install it. its one of the programs setting up something or working in the background. im going to check the event viewer and see which apps stop working after going into airplane mode because whatever turns off for good after turning on/off airplane mode is the culprit.
  • NOVA0

Tinkerer

Options
    ajkumar said:

does your router switch automatically between 2.4ghz and 5ghz? is QoS enabled on your router? check and see if youre connected to 5ghz and have excellent connection, when plugged in through ethernet does the speed increase? also check killer control center and set steam to priority 1. is it when you download a big file? Do you have a hdd attatched?
  • Allphasephil
    Allphasephil Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    turn off pairing on Predator Sense!!!
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Allphasephil that has nothing to do with it PS uses the network youre connected to not the wifi adapter  :)

Also to all users bare in mind isps are capping speeds due to the high usage during the pandemic (the routers sync the contracted speeds but they are capped ) same as any game launchers :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• ajkumar
    ajkumar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    NOVA0 said:
    ajkumar said:

does your router switch automatically between 2.4ghz and 5ghz? is QoS enabled on your router? check and see if youre connected to 5ghz and have excellent connection, when plugged in through ethernet does the speed increase? also check killer control center and set steam to priority 1. is it when you download a big file? Do you have a hdd attatched?
    Hey Mate, thank you for replying to my post. To answer your questions, i am always connected to the 5.0 Ghz band on the laptop and i have also tried connecting to Ethernet port via LAN and still the same results. The thing i don't understand is why would it restrict the speed to 1/4 of the actual bandwidth when downloading something and while browsing i get maximum speed as provided by my ISP. I have also tinkered with Killer App too but no success there. FYI, this issue started after a windows update i did in the beginning of March. Before the update everything worked like a charm. 
  • Helios300i5one
    Helios300i5one Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hey
    I used the it 8th gen predator with the mimo thingy and I have intel ac 9560 installed I have the same problem u mentioned it the same for intel adapters I think it has to do something with the mimo technology 
    Pls help me get a solution 
  • Helios300i5one
    Helios300i5one Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    xapim said:
    Allphasephil that has nothing to do with it PS uses the network youre connected to not the wifi adapter  :)

Also to all users bare in mind isps are capping speeds due to the high usage during the pandemic (the routers sync the contracted speeds but they are capped ) same as any game launchers :)
    U said it uses the network we r connected to so does that mean the speed is used up by pairing thingy
  • FERRISBULLER
    FERRISBULLER Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

The simplest way the sollution is.

IPS hired speed = 150Mbps

Test result speed = (around) 140 Mbps (even after rebooted serveral times)

Worked for me!

Thks!

PS: my system is a Predator Helios 300 PH315-52

• RobsQue
    RobsQue Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Is there any other fix on this? I have an updated Predator Sense but doesn't have that phone icon. I don't even any device connected to my PC in the first place so I think this is not the issue. I also noticed that I'm getting only 20mbps on any WiFi speeds on speedtest via Ookla but is doing fine in LAN.