Temporary (?) wifi connectivity problem - what to do?

Options
DeeKayy2020
DeeKayy2020 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I'm unsure what to do so I'm here trying to get input/answers. 

I've had my Acer Chromebook 15 (CB3-532) for 9 days now. On the 5th day suddenly the wifi stopped working with no warning, i.e. it kept losing connection over and over. I did an online chat with Acer Support, who suggested a Power Wipe, which I did, and that didn't help. Then they suggested that repair would be necessary (after not even a week?!) and that I'd have to send the unit in. (Though I never got any email with the shipping info as to where to send it, as promised in the chat. I still haven't gotten that, so I've no idea where to send it for repair.) However since that day, there have been NO issues with wifi, and the computer acts as if nothing ever happened. It seems to work just fine, now.

My question is then, what could have caused the problem? (Is it related to a new Chromebook update that I had gotten that day that the problem started occurring?) Should I keep the computer, or just return it to where I bought it and buy something else? Or do I trust that this won't happen again, and just keep the thing? (With my luck if I do that, it'll happen again just after the 30 day return policy is over.) 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,032 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    To find your Acer service outlet you have to look it up on the web and choose your local area. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    WiFi issues in the ChromeOS are often tough to diagnose. If the only real change you did to the system prior to the issue was the update, and then it cleared up after a while I'd guess you're likely right in thinking it was just an update glitch. The wireless card in your CB3-532 is an Intel module and is fairly easily replaced if this happens again, but after your warranty has expired. I like the specs on your model, I've got the older 14 inch version and a new Spin 15 and neither of them have given me any grief.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,032 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    To find your Acer service outlet you have to look it up on the web and choose your local area.