Acer Aspire TC-330 EB11 - 3D Modelling Programs Work Properly

MacMullin
MacMullin Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives

I have been purchasing Acer products for a very long time now and I really never had any real problems, until I purchase the machine I own now.
In 2018 I purchased an Acer Aspire TC-330 – EB11 from Best Buy.

Since I purchased this product I have been having real problems making my 3D modelling programs work properly - if at all. I have an older 2011 Acer Aspire with Win 7 and old Toshiba Laptop running Vista that runs these same programs without any problems. 

In most cases, I can open up the 3D program and load models the window plane. But... as soon as I try to make selections or transforms to any of my objects in the window plane, the program and the computer seizes up and my monitor screen turns white or black. In the programs title bar if it is still showing states “ not responding”. The program never reverts back to its original state. I always have to hit  “Alt-Ctrl-Delete”  and bring up task manager to turn off the program from running. On occasion, my 2D Programs (photoshop), or Chrome the monitor screen will turn black - but it will revert back or refresh its self in a few seconds.

I have tried almost all the settings in Windows program comparability – it seems to make no difference. I have tried various settings in AMD Radeon R5 software without success. I must admit, I do not understand most of the purposes of each setting. I am guessing but my problem may have something to acceleration settings in the card

The programs I have problems with are Poser, Daz Studio 4 Pro,  Hexagon, SketchUp and a number of others.

I have wondered if the Aspire TC-330  was outfitted with Win 7 originally and was updated to 10? I have seen a number of Win 7 platforms have problems when being upgraded to Win 10

I am at my wit's end trying to make my machine work if someone can help It would be appreciated. 

Acer Aspire TC-330 – EB11 Specs 

Pre-loaded Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Processor Type:  AMD A9-9420

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Processor Cores: 2

Processor Cache: 1 MB L2

RAM: 12 GB DDR4 2400 MHz UDIMM

Hard Disk Drive Capacity: 1TB

Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute) 7200 rpm

Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R5

Dedicated Graphics Card: No

Audio Output: High Definition Audio

Cooling System: Air Cooling

Power Supply: 300 W

Answers

• tanka
    tanka Member Posts: 4 New User
    Before Asus I have 6 hp computers.Today I have one hp  and the Asus Tc-330 and update few things like samsung 860 evo sata 500 gb and sx8200 pro for booting and 16 ram.And after that .Compare to the HP desktop  are one pc of GARBAGE.First time and never again.Simply desappointed
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I do not own a similar computer and I have never run the 3D programs that you mentioned. The problem that you described seemed to be the 3D program hitting some kind of hardware limit. Looking at the spec that you posted, I found the graphics is really a weak point. Even my 13 year old low end graphics card (Geforce GT 430) runs much faster than your on board graphics, that is why it cannot handle a 3D program! Looks like you definitely need a more powerful dedicated graphics card. If the graphics card is really powerful, you may need to upgrade the power supply too! For GTX 1050 Series graphics card, may be(or may be not) you don't need to upgrade the power supply.

The CPU( AMD A9-9420) is a little weak too. 

Since your computer already using DDR4 memory (the motherboard should be relatively new), so there is a good chance the computer may have PCIE 3.0 x16 type of slot for graphics card. If there is another PCIE 3.0 x16 slot(other than the one used for the graphics card) or a M.2 NVME SSD slot, then you are in luck! Using a M.2 NVME SSD will greatly improve your computer's  performance. If you have post the exact motherboard model number, then I probably can tell what kind of slots that you have.
  • MacMullin
    MacMullin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for the information. I think I will be taking my machine back to Best Buy and have them take a look at it on diagnostics. 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    If you can get a refund or exchange, that will be good. The indicated spec for this machine just led me to believe it will not run 3D programs well.