Strange whining noise when laptop is plugged in. Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53

HaroldWinkle
HaroldWinkle Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 and whenever the laptop is plugged in an awful, high-pitched whining noise comes from the laptop.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Does the noise really come from the laptop or the power adapter? Is this noise audible in a video recording?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • HaroldWinkle
    HaroldWinkle Member Posts: 2 New User
    Does the noise really come from the laptop or the power adapter? Is this noise audible in a video recording?
    it comes from the laptop while it is plugged in and is audible in a recording.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iz0wZcLkynlXmVM5O8u4BQLztXRHyb8I/view?usp=sharing
  • Does the problem remain when resetting the battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,858 Trailblazer
    Cant hear anything from your attachment and recording but, it could be that its your CPU/GPU fan as that is where the power plug is and it could have disturbed something inside? Best thing to do is to open the laptops back cover and pug the laptop in, then check where that noise is exactly coming from, as there are very few moving parts that could make any noise, unless its coming from a audio interference from the speakers which are situated in the bottom left/right corners, check that out. 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    @StevenGen & @egydiocoelho could it be Coil Whine?

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,858 Trailblazer
    andylb said:
    @StevenGen & @egydiocoelho could it be Coil Whine?
    Yes it could come from the charger transformer or even from the GPU but, when you’re dealing with high end modern PCs, especially the graphics card and power supply, these vibrations can be audible. This is especially true for anyone who’s sensitive to high-frequency noises. In bad cases, you can actually hear the pitch of the coil whine change as the GPU draws more or less power, and the electrical frequency across various components shifts. It might be particularly noticeable when running a 3D game or high-intensity graphics application. Coil whine can be especially noticeable—not to mention frustrating!—on otherwise “silent” PCs, like low-power home theater PCs or gaming PCs with a liquid cooling system.

Coil whine is really nothing to be concerned about. It can be annoying, of course, but it isn’t like a rattling engine or a squeaking wheel—the noise is a byproduct of your PC and graphics card’s normal operation. Your system isn’t losing any performance or longevity because of coil whine.

(Note: if you hear a distinct hissing or high-pitched whistling instead of a buzz or scratch, that might be the altogether different phenomenon known as “capacitor squeal.” This is something to be concerned about, since it indicates a failing component.)

Sadly, there isn’t an easy fix for coil whine, like an updated driver or a Windows setting. It’s a physical property of your graphics card (or any other component you can hear exhibiting the noise). The fixes for the problem, therefore, are going to be physical in nature. You have a few options. Hope this helps cheers.
  • Myolisi
    Myolisi Member Posts: 1 New User
    The noise seems to change depending on the battery setting. for example if you have you laptop on bet performance then it gets loader, but on best battery life it gets softer.
  • NBSTATIC
    NBSTATIC Member Posts: 3 New User
    Does the noise really come from the laptop or the power adapter? Is this noise audible in a video recording?
    it comes from the laptop while it is plugged in and is audible in a recording.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iz0wZcLkynlXmVM5O8u4BQLztXRHyb8I/view?usp=sharing
    Couldn't hear Your Whine over My Whine .