Upgrading to 64GB issues

Options
TSS
TSS Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hi All,
I'm currently upgrading my G3-710. I have purchased the recommended Kingston RAM (4 x 16GB) but I'm having problems.

If I install MORE than one stick, there is no power to the computer. If I install 1x 16GB stick and reinstall the 2 x 8GB Ram that came with it works pefectly.

What am I missing/doing wrong? I've tried different slots, combinations etc, but it does the same thing?

ANY help would be appreciated

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good evening TSS !

Which EXACT model of your computer?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• TSS
    Options
    Hi MaClane. Is this the info you were asking for?
  • MaClane
    Options
    Nope.
    I need you to inform the EXACT model, for example: G3-710-11UC

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Also, inform the version of the bios, as there are many fixes for several problems, see:

You cannot upgrade to any version. Inform the bios version beforehand.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TSS
    Options
    Where would I find that? There is nothing like that where the serial no. Etc is?
  • TSS
    Options
    Also, inform the version of the bios, as there are many fixes for several problems, see:

You cannot upgrade to any version. Inform the bios version beforehand.
    R02-B2
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you inform the model of the rams memories?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TSS
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Can you inform the model of the rams memories?

Yep. They are Kingston 16GB (4 x16GB) DDR4 UDIMM 2400MHz CL17 1.2V Unbuffered ValueRAM Single Stick Desktop Memory 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried to connect to the other slots?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TSS
    Options
    Have you tried to connect to the other slots?
    Yes
  • TSS
    Options
    MaClane said:
    Nope.
    I need you to inform the EXACT model, for example: G3-710-11UC

I typed in my serial number and this is the model that came up: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/support-product/6373?b=1&pn=DG.E04SA.003

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK!
    1) When you test the two 8gb rams in the white slots, do they work?
    2) When you test the two 8gb rams in the black slots, do they work?
    3) When you plug an 8gb ram into the black slot and another 8gb ram into the white slot, does it work?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TSS
    Options
    Yes to all 3 :)

egydiocoelho said:
    OK!
    1) When you test the two 8gb rams in the white slots, do they work?
    2) When you test the two 8gb rams in the black slots, do they work?
    3) When you plug an 8gb ram into the black slot and another 8gb ram into the white slot, does it work?

• MaClane
    Options
    What I believe may be happening:
    Either the RAMs are iccompatible with the chipset controllers or power overflow is occurring due to the PSU being unable to supply the demand.
    I suggest testing with other RAMs and another PSU.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• TSS
    Options
    Its a brand new PSU 850W. And the RAM is recognised when i put one stick in. So weird its happening
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tested all 16gb sticks individually in all slots?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TSS
    Options
    Yep. All work...just not together. Could it be a microcode or something? I read on another site that that can cause issues like this, or maybe BIOS update?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you provide your processor model? The intel website usually reports the maximum amount of ram memory that the processor supports.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TSS
    Options
    Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @3.60GHz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors. Code Name: Kaby Lake.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited March 2020
    Options
    It would be interesting if you sent a screenshot of the cpuz program, showing the characteristics of the 16gb ram. Do these memories have xmp profiles? I will also call colleague @JordanB to check this topic.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer