How do i update my drivers for my acer nitro 5?

Shmopboy
Shmopboy Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
I've been trying to update my drivers but i dont know how to do it

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    I never use a 3rd party driver updater because they often cause problems. Go to Device Manager and expand each item and select update driver but do not update your AMD Vega 8 and RX560x GPU's in this manner instead follow my walk through below. After updating from Device Manager Restart your laptop Please click YES if I have answered your question

Device Manager Updates

AMD Graphics Card Update Method

The new AMD Adrenalin 2020 Control Center is designed to give support for your hardware and contains Mobile Driver support for this exact model, the Graphics Drivers on the Acer site are only base drivers. Click the link below to download the 2020 Control Center and the latest drivers for the RX560x will be automatically installed
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-1

To ensure you use the Rx560x for gaming follow these steps
    First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into the main AC power while gaming. Make sure "High Performance when on AC", is selected in your Windows Power Plan and in Nitrosense. If you fail to do this your CPU will run at around 50% of capacity and you will experience poor game performance

Open the New AMD 2020 Control Center and click the GAMING tab then click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select ADD A GAME, navigate to your games .exe file and double click it to add it, or you can select SCAN FOR GAMES and let the Control Center search your harddrive for games to add. After successfully adding the game click on the game and you will be taken to another window and click the LAUNCH GAME tab.
    Only in this way will your games use the Discrete Rx560x GPU, NEVER launch your game through a desktop shortcut or any other way, do it in the manner I have described.

Please remember that online gaming may experience low fps and stutter due to the games servers and bottlenecking and that has nothing to do with your GPU.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    edited March 2020
    @Shmopboy Exact model number please, for example AN515-**

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Shmopboy
    @andylb its AN515-R5ED
  • andylb
    I presume you mean AN515-42 RSED

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Shmopboy
    yes it is my mistake
  • andylb
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    I never use a 3rd party driver updater because they often cause problems. Go to Device Manager and expand each item and select update driver but do not update your AMD Vega 8 and RX560x GPU's in this manner instead follow my walk through below. After updating from Device Manager Restart your laptop Please click YES if I have answered your question

Device Manager Updates

AMD Graphics Card Update Method

The new AMD Adrenalin 2020 Control Center is designed to give support for your hardware and contains Mobile Driver support for this exact model, the Graphics Drivers on the Acer site are only base drivers. Click the link below to download the 2020 Control Center and the latest drivers for the RX560x will be automatically installed
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-1

To ensure you use the Rx560x for gaming follow these steps
    First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into the main AC power while gaming. Make sure "High Performance when on AC", is selected in your Windows Power Plan and in Nitrosense. If you fail to do this your CPU will run at around 50% of capacity and you will experience poor game performance

Open the New AMD 2020 Control Center and click the GAMING tab then click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select ADD A GAME, navigate to your games .exe file and double click it to add it, or you can select SCAN FOR GAMES and let the Control Center search your harddrive for games to add. After successfully adding the game click on the game and you will be taken to another window and click the LAUNCH GAME tab.
    Only in this way will your games use the Discrete Rx560x GPU, NEVER launch your game through a desktop shortcut or any other way, do it in the manner I have described.

Please remember that online gaming may experience low fps and stutter due to the games servers and bottlenecking and that has nothing to do with your GPU.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Shmopboy
    alright thanks for the help! :)
  • andylb
    It's a pleasure