PO3-600-UD14 Confused SSD

Options
MikeCoolGuy17
MikeCoolGuy17 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hello everyone. So i'm trying to figure out  what ssd can i put into my computer and I'm confused. I have a old HP Slimline and i put this ssd in there 
Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 1TB Internal PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe) Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology. I want to know since the acer has a m.2 slot can i use this one in there? also what drive is the OS windows 10 on? I'm trying to figure out if I should do this with the 1tb ssd I have or get a 2.5 and put it in a bracket to make it a 3.5. I dont want to waste this samsung 970. Any help will be great Thanks so much!! Also sorry if i made it hard to understand.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    I think it will work because others have installed a 512GB NVMe SSD, so no harm in installing the spare 1TB 970 Evo.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Predator-PO3-600/94846
  • MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

Options
    I didn't want to take the whole computer apart to see. do you have this computer? Or one that came with the m.2 ssd? If so was the windows 10 on that or the 1tb hard drive? Thank you.
  • MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

Options
    My issue with this is how do i get windows 10 onto the spare 970 evo for the acer if there is only one port in the computer for one. I see they have nvme usb sticks i can use but afraid it wont work. Thanks for the help so far.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    I didn't want to take the whole computer apart to see. do you have this computer? Or one that came with the m.2 ssd? If so was the windows 10 on that or the 1tb hard drive? Thank you.
    Hi,
    No, I don't have this PC, please wait for someone else who have this PC to reply.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    You do have to get a little farther in that some other systems. Connector #8 on this picture is the M.2 slot for a SSD. See that screw hole up beside #5? That's where the screw goes to hold the M.2 in place (BTW, make sure you have a screw for that, they are standard M2-3mm). In order to easily access that portion of the MB you have to pull the power connector (#5) and maybe the existing SATA cables (#7). There is also likely a bracket holding the HDD over this area, so you'll either have to squeeze past of remove it first.
    s
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey Thank you for this info. Do you know if the M.2 sata is nvme? I know there are a few different types with different  key holes. Also do you know with the 256GB ssd it comes with has the windows 10 on it or on the 1TB hard drive? Like i said in an earlier post I have a samasung 970 evo 1TB i wanted to put in and it's nvme. Thanks so much so far.  
  • billsey
    Options
    Yeah, that M.2 slot supports Intel Optane as well as an SSD, so it has to support NVMe. If it came with a SSD then the UEFI boot, recovery boot, recovery image and system partitions are on the SSD. You'll want to clone that to your 1TB M.2 then expand the C: drive after it's all working. Leave the other three partitions the same size as they started with.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks so much for that info how do i clone everything? and do it after  i set it up the first time? I know samsung has there software and worked great but not sure if i buy the USB m.2 nvme the software will read it to copy everything. Again thanks for all your help so far. I read that from an amazon review.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,946 Trailblazer
    Options
    Thanks so much for that info how do i clone everything? and do it after  i set it up the first time? I know samsung has there software and worked great but not sure if i buy the USB m.2 nvme the software will read it to copy everything. Again thanks for all your help so far. I read that from an amazon review.
    Use the Samsung "Data Migration" software, that software is for copying one OP to a new SSD be it 2.5 or M.2. Its a simple process. 
  • MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for that but since the computer has a 256gb ssd with windows 10 on it and i need to copy what's on there to my 970evo how do i do that I can't install it into the acer no open port it's a nvme Thats why i was asking how do i copy whats on the 256 to my 970evy nvme if it's not in the computer and put it in there only one open slot for it. Thanks. I know that software works great but I need a samsung drive to use it.
  • billsey
    Options
    The last time I did it I picked up a M.2 USB adapter case thingy that allowed me to plug the new drive in as an external drive. I cloned then swapped drives to boot on the new, big drive. Once everything was working I left the old small drive in the USB case and have it as a data drive on a different system.
  • MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

Options
    Awesome that helps me a lot I saw the USB M.2 NVME That would hold my 1TB samsung 970 evo in. But saw some people said the samsung magician software did not read from it being plugged into a usb port. This is helping me a lot thank you so much almost have all the help I need.
  • billsey
    Options
    Yeah, some of the cases respond with their info instead of the drive's info. Just use one of the other clone software packages. I think I use minitool partition wizard on mine last time, but it might have been macrium or easeus...
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can try the procedure in this video:
    It is not cloning. But it will create a backup of the operating system image provided by Acer.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)