Does ubuntu support graphics card drivers?

Bottom_up
Bottom_up Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2020 Archives
Hi !
Recently, I have install ubuntu along with windows 10. My laptop support " AMD RYZEN 5" graphics card.
On the site of Acer, they provide drivers for graphics card for windows, however how can I install the graphics card driver in ubuntu 19?
does ubuntu support AMD driver ?

Answers

• K0de
    K0de Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I can tell you this.. if you install the 14.04 LTS, you will need a hardwired connection to download wifi drivers.. so when you install the OS you wont be able to connect wifi wirelessly without the drivers..you will have to manually download them and install through prompt.. make sure you watch a tutorial on youtube about how to install drivers for wifi.. I had ubuntu on my laptop for approximately 10min till I reinstalled windows 10.. I use hotspot from my cellphone provider so I couldn't install the drivers.. I also tried downloading them to a flash drive and adding them through prompt to no avail..  
  • PERVERT
    PERVERT Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2020
    I guess it does support AMD drivers. i have Helios 300 and i installed Ubuntu 18.04 in it. by default it had some open source drivers i guess but you can install the drivers for the dedicated GPU from
    Software & Updates -> Additional Drivers ,
     select the latest recommended drivers and apply.
  • Bottom_up
    Bottom_up Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

PERVERT said:
    I guess it does support AMD drivers. i have Helios 300 and i installed Ubuntu 18.04 in it. by default it had some open source drivers i guess but you can install the drivers for the dedicated GPU from
    Software & Updates -> Additional Drivers ,
     select the latest recommended drivers and apply.
    unfortunately, no additional driver is available for now.