Aspire VN7-791 Nitro destroys power sources

Fimbria
Fimbria Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
First, a thank you to all the people who save a random person's day with their tech advice.

A week ago, the light on my power source started blinking and the computer would no longer charge from it. Thinking the power source had failed, I bought a new one. It lasted lasted a week before repeating the problem. On the theory that the second was too weak, I bought a power source designed for the computer. This power source arrved today, and went the way of the previous two as soon as it plugged in.

What do I do next?

Computer:

Acer Aspire VN7-791
Model MS 2395
DC rating 19V, 7.1A

Power sources used:

Unknown (came with computer, no readily apparent brand)
Model HM-151
Input 100-240V
Output 150W 19V 7.9A
Lasted several years

Insignia
Model NS-PWLC591 E
Input 100-240V~2.5A, 50-60Hz
Output 90W, 19V, 4.74A
Lasted one week

Superer
Model SPD195923, Incode YH00156
Input 100-240V~2.5A, 50-60Hz
Output 19V, 9.23A, 180W
Lasted <0.1 seconds

Answers

• How long have you owned the notebook? Have you checked battery wear with hwinfo64?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Fimbria
    The computer was made in 2015. I only noticed the problem when the battery died - it was an extremely distracting Minecraft session - so installing any software on that machine will be impossible for the moment.

If it helps any, the battery might have held for an hour after the power source went out. Minecraft's framerate dropped around then, which I mistakenly attributed to one of the hundred or so mods installed.
  • your electrical outlet (socket) is more likely to be damaging the power adapters. Do you have how to test the power adapter on another device?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    I agree with my colleague @egydiocoelho it is improbable for the computer to damage the adapter, that would need a return current which is not possible, the electrical outlet is the most likely culprit. Always use a surge protector 

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Fimbria
    No other devices in the house can use those power sources. There's a Best Buy a few blocks from here; I can ask them to run some tests when they open in the morning.

Now seems like a good time to reveal more information. First, while the first power source was connected to a wall outlet when it went out, the other two were on a grounded, surge protected power strip. Second, the first power source used both of those for several months without issue. Third, all three power sources show a solid light when plugged into outlets; they only start blinking when they are also connected to the computer.

Does that confirm or refute your hypothesis?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    I have no idea about the compatibility of the adapters you used but these are the adapters for your model taken from your models Service Guide

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• It would be interesting if there is a problem with the battery. Check the battery status with hwinfo64.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer