XB273K (Pbmiphzx) multiple issues

Kevonovitch
Kevonovitch Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 14 in 2020 Archives
For the most part, the monitor has been great, however, there are a few issues;

-Random flickering on desktop (IE, not running any full-screen application)
It takes a brief second or 2, blanks, and them comes back showing the connection to the pc (DP in this case)

-Drops from 120hz to 82hz
I've seen a scattered few other posts about this on a limited number of sources, thanks to google, but they all seem to stay open-ended questions with no real solution universally, just a random one or two fixes that worked for some people, mostly seeming to involve either just simply rebooting the pc, resetting and refreshing everything involving the main monitor/aspect ratio/resolution.

So far from what I've experienced, I'm not sure if they're individual, or symptomatic of (with?) each other, but I've had both problems, and it doesn't always seem to be the case that when I had flickers, the refresh rate would drop, that one is new.  I've had this monitor for about a month now, and the flickering wasen't really a problem, however, the refresh rate drops are VERY unwelcome.  I do not run 144hz because I've no need/interest in running that high, and monitors don't tend to last as long as guaranteed when OC'ing them.  I do not have multiple monitors, and so far the only "fix" I've been able to successfully use, is a full reboot.  I am currently testing one thing; previously I had the monitors power plugged into a power-bar with an auto-off toggle (certain sockets would turn off if there was no power demand of the socket) and the monitor was in one of those.  Now it is plugged directly into the wall, so it never fully loses power unless I unplug it.  Not exactly if that will change anything, but why not eh?  Who knows.

On the software side of things;

-Win 10 recognizes the monitor as an XB273K, however, the Acer Display Widget states that "Selected monitor not supported"
Might not be a big deal, since from what I can tell it simply just lets me use all of the monitors built-in settings/options without having to hit the buttons on the side of the monitor.  However, if your own company's software, does not recognize your own company's product, that is an issue that needs to be addressed.

-Acer Serial Number Detection Utility does not function.
Starts up, shows me the spots stating what information goes where, and then just states "system manufacturer/product name/serial/blank" and does not do anything.  Will only open, and close.
Again, if your own company's software, does not recognize your own company's product, that is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Best Answer

• Kevonovitch
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    UPDATE:

So!  I managed to sort-of solve my issues;

-The Flickering:
    Seems to have been caused by a mixture of HDR, and G-Sync.  I turned off HDR, set the monitor and my Nvidia drivers to fixed refresh rate, and it stopped flickering entirely.  It does have a screen refresh whenever sometime uses my HDR, and blinks again when I stop using the program using my HDR.  The HDR on it's own, will work fine, it seems to have been mostly the G-Sync, possibly in combination with my Nvidia hardware/software?  I cannot say for sure.

-The Refresh rate drops:
    This one was a little more complicated to figure out, but I did find a reliable solution, at least for myself.  I had to manually install the monitors firmware, go into my Nvidia drivers and set Preferred Refresh Rate>Highest Available.  In windows I had to go into Display Adapter Properties>Monitor>Screen Refresh Rate 120hz.  In the monitor itself I had to go to System>Deep Sleep>Off (for both)

The G-sync I do believe was effecting both things, so as handy as it is to have, in this case, it proved to be too problematic to be useful.  Hopefully this update helps someone else out there, but perhaps the G-Sync system down the line can be software updated, or tested further on a wider range of software and hardware for future products.

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    We are sorry you are having issues with your KB273K, if the issue still persist, we suggest you contact Acer support center in your region for further assistance.

If you need technical assistance you can go to our page https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.     

The Acer Community is a peer to peer platform where members help other members.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • WrenNL
    WrenNL Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thanks for posting Kevonovitch - having exactly the same issues you are describing. It would be great if Acer could answer these questions. It would be especially helpful if the Acer Display Widget worked with this monitor, particularly given it is a "premium" one.
  • Kevonovitch
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    UPDATE:

-The Flickering:
    Seems to have been caused by a mixture of HDR, and G-Sync.  I turned off HDR, set the monitor and my Nvidia drivers to fixed refresh rate, and it stopped flickering entirely.  It does have a screen refresh whenever sometime uses my HDR, and blinks again when I stop using the program using my HDR.  The HDR on it's own, will work fine, it seems to have been mostly the G-Sync, possibly in combination with my Nvidia hardware/software?  I cannot say for sure.

-The Refresh rate drops:
    This one was a little more complicated to figure out, but I did find a reliable solution, at least for myself.  I had to manually install the monitors firmware, go into my Nvidia drivers and set Preferred Refresh Rate>Highest Available.  In windows I had to go into Display Adapter Properties>Monitor>Screen Refresh Rate 120hz.  In the monitor itself I had to go to System>Deep Sleep>Off (for both)

The G-sync I do believe was effecting both things, so as handy as it is to have, in this case, it proved to be too problematic to be useful.  Hopefully this update helps someone else out there, but perhaps the G-Sync system down the line can be software updated, or tested further on a wider range of software and hardware for future products.
  • neonhorrorshow
    neonhorrorshow Member Posts: 1 New User
    Did you ever get the Acer Widget Software to work?
  • jsnirizarry
    jsnirizarry Member Posts: 2 New User
    UPDATE:

-The Flickering:

-The Refresh rate drops:

When your monitor was flickering, was it grey lines and a sound like it was sparking through the monitor speakers? Acer's warranty only allows me to send out the monitor and wait 15-20 days to receive a replacement. This monitor is too expensive to be having this issue.
  • Winona
    Winona Member Posts: 1 New User

I've decided to future proof my second monitor choice and I am looking at these two monitors. However, I can't tell the difference between the two models. I know one is refurbished and one is 1ms vs 4ms but other than that I see no difference. Both are 4k 144Hz, IPS, Quantum Dot, etc..

I don't want to get the wrong one, so any advice on which would be better? Leaning towards the GPbmiipprzx since it's new and not a refurbished one. Thanks!

myfordbenefits

• Kevonovitch
    Did you ever get the Acer Widget Software to work?
    No.  Still does not work to this day.
    UPDATE:

-The Flickering:

-The Refresh rate drops:

When your monitor was flickering, was it grey lines and a sound like it was sparking through the monitor speakers? Acer's warranty only allows me to send out the monitor and wait 15-20 days to receive a replacement. This monitor is too expensive to be having this issue.
    No, it was just a black screen for a solid 1-2 seconds.  Best guess is still turning HDR on and off (which is fine) and G-sync doing things at weird times, not specifically to when tabbing back and forth between full-screen programs and/or turning itself on and off.
    Winona said:

I've decided to future proof my second monitor choice and I am looking at these two monitors. However, I can't tell the difference between the two models. I know one is refurbished and one is 1ms vs 4ms but other than that I see no difference. Both are 4k 144Hz, IPS, Quantum Dot, etc..

I don't want to get the wrong one, so any advice on which would be better? Leaning towards the GPbmiipprzx since it's new and not a refurbished one. Thanks!

myfordbenefits

Honestly dude, just do your research, and then go for whatever one you want.  Refurbished isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think there's more of a stygma around about refurbished electronics these days than needs to be, but hey, your choice is your own ma dude.