(AN515-52) - My Nitro 5 laptop heating so much even with very low cpu usage. Help.

dinesh9893
dinesh9893 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited February 2020 in Nitro Gaming
I have 8 Month old Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-52) with i5 8300H and Nvidia GTX1050.
from last three days my Laptop is heating so much for any application usage like if I'm watching 5 min youtube video
 and it start thermal throttling and within 5 second cpu temp goes 95 degree C and temp will remain in 90s till video finished but the cpu usage will remain under 20%.
My idle temp is in 60s without any app and cpu usage below 5%. I dont know why it's happening but it's start heating like this from last 3 days.
I have good cooling pad from the start.
so first solution came in mind to change the thermal paste so I used Arctic MX-4 thermal compound. but no help, temp again goes in 90s for low cpu usage.
It's heating so much just for youtube. so just to check I tried playing one PUBG Mobile on Emulator which is very light game compare to PC games and CPU temp goes haywire for whole time temp was above 90s and even I can feel the heat all over the keyboard for whole time I put fan speed at MAX used CoolBoost still temp above 90s.
I think maybe thermal compound re pasting not worked as I expected not even 1 degree goes down. I repaste it carefully with help of tutorials.
so I'm thinking re pasting again with another company's thermal compound. will it help ?
before going for undervolting the cpu, I just wanna know why suddenly cpu heating so much for no reason.
Please help. 

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Thats not good and maybe your GPU settings got messed up so follow my walkthrough below. Also undervolt with Throttlestop using the safe tested custom packages designed by one of our gaming members https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/577183/throttlestop-undervolt-profiles-pre-made/p1?new=1

Have you set up the Nvidia Control Center correctly? Please follow all my instructions below

Please click YES if I answer your question, thankyou

Make sure you do this below and always game on 100% battery BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming, in your Windows Power plan select High Performance when on AC and in Nitrosense make sure High performance is selected under "AC" tab

1. Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers from here 
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

2. Go to the Nvidia control center and click Manage 3d settings tab, then click the Global Settings tab and change Preferred Graphics processor from Auto select to your Nvidia GPU, do this by clicking the downward arrow to the right of Auto Select and select the Nvidia GPU. Then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Do the same under the Set PhysX Configuration tab

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• dinesh9893
    andylb said:
    Thats not good and maybe your GPU settings got messed up so follow my walkthrough below. Also undervolt with Throttlestop using the safe tested custom packages designed by one of our gaming members https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/577183/throttlestop-undervolt-profiles-pre-made/p1?new=1

Have you set up the Nvidia Control Center correctly? Please follow all my instructions below

Please click YES if I answer your question, thankyou

Make sure you do this below and always game on 100% battery BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming, in your Windows Power plan select High Performance when on AC and in Nitrosense make sure High performance is selected under "AC" tab

1. Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers from here 
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

2. Go to the Nvidia control center and click Manage 3d settings tab, then click the Global Settings tab and change Preferred Graphics processor from Auto select to your Nvidia GPU, do this by clicking the downward arrow to the right of Auto Select and select the Nvidia GPU. Then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Do the same under the Set PhysX Configuration tab

Thanks for your fast response.
    I always use my laptop on AC Power and never played games on Battery power.
    I'm trying all your methods and will post result. 
    but before go for undervolting should I repaste the thermal compound or use another brands thermal compound (I have 2 paste, Arctic MX-4 and Coolermaster MasterGel Pro).
    because I'm curious why suddenly in from last 3 days my cpu temp going so high but usage remain same and low. and if nothing works I'll definitely go for undervolting the cpu. I often see most people here in this forum plays high end games on acer gaming laptops and face high cpu usage with high cpu temp and thus go for cpu undervolting, but here I'm just running Youtube and playing mobile games on this laptop and having 90+ cpu temp(which result in lag and freeze in games) which is just started from last 3 days. I'm literally shocked to see my Idle temp is 60+ with no apps running.
  • dinesh9893
    And One more thing will reducing maximum processor state(turbo boost off) at Power Option help and if it is then how much reduction it need and will it reduce lifespan of my cpu ?
  • andylb
    edited February 2020
    I like Grizzly Kryonaut many swear by it. Disabling Turboboost will help and undervolting etc never reduces the life of your laptop but the Throttlestop packages are the best most of the guys on the Predator gaming forum use it and report 10 deg drops

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• dinesh9893
    andylb said:
    I like Grizzly Kryonaut many swear by it. Disabling Turboboost will help and undervolting etc never reduces the life of your laptop but the Throttlestop packages are the best most of the guys on the Predator gaming forum use it and report 10 deg drops
    Liquid metal paste is my first choice too compare to carbon or silicon based compound. Since in my region it has heavy demand of Grizzly Kryonaut and it's costly too in this region, so there are more duplicates of Grizzly Kryonaut  than real one in the market.
    I've changed graphic setting as you told and trying some games to check if that help, if that will not work I'll change paste again and then check temp again whether it reduce or not and then at last I'll do CPU undervolting with your given profiles.
    believe me, I haven't face single issue with my laptop since bought and suddenly this high temp out of nowhare.
    Is there any possibility that some other hardware (other then CPU and GPU) causing this thermal 
    throttling or my Nitro sense showing wrong temp, because most of user in this forum who facing heating problem has high cpu usage but only me facing heating with low cpu usage. 
  • andylb
    What is your fan speed when it shows 95

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• dinesh9893
    andylb said:
    What is your fan speed when it shows 95
    Fan at Max 6122 RPM when temp at 95.
    I always put fan speed at max when I play PUBG Mobile game.
  • andylb
    My first action would be to try the Throttlestop, it's well tested, simple to use and the custom profiles work

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• dinesh9893
    I find new thing today, today I tried to use laptop on battery only and with same usage like watching youtube videos and from last 1.5 hour my cpu temp doesn't go above 50 degree. How ? I mean how same type of usage make my cpu heat above 90 degree when on AC power but below 50 degree when on battery. Is this normal or is it my laptop charger causing this cpu heating. I check charger had mentioned output of 19v but when I check with voltmeter it says 19.4v. is it normal ?
  • dinesh9893
    andylb said:
    My first action would be to try the Throttlestop, it's well tested, simple to use and the custom profiles work
    I find new thing today, today I tried to use laptop on battery only and with same usage like watching youtube videos and from last 1.5 hour my cpu temp doesn't go above 50 degree. How ? I mean how same type of usage make my cpu heat above 90 degree when on AC power but below 50 degree when on battery. Is this normal or is it my laptop charger causing this cpu heating. I check charger had mentioned output of 19v but when I check with voltmeter it says 19.4v. is it normal ?
  • andylb
    edited February 2020
    andylb said:

Because on battery only your CPU is operating at around 50% which is ok for Youtube but not for gaming. Please apply the Throttlestop profile for your processor and all will be fine. Yes, your charger is normal and no your charger can't cause overheating. Gaming laptops can run hot at 100% plugged in so please follow my instructions and report back

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• dinesh9893
    andylb said:
    andylb said:

Because on battery only your CPU is operating at around 50% which is ok for Youtube but not for gaming. Please apply the Throttlestop profile for your processor and all will be fine. Yes, your charger is normal and no your charger can't cause overheating. Gaming laptops can run hot at 100% plugged in so please follow my instructions and report back
    I'm using Throttlestop from last 7 days and cpu temp stable at 80-85 and cpu limits it's clocking at 3.39 GHz and because of that my game fps drops 7-8 fps (I'm playing Pubg Mobile game on Gameloop emulator which previously run at it's full 60fps limit) and now it's run at max 54 fps and even fps fluctuate so much and even game lags a little bit. just because Throttlestop  limit cpu speed at 3.39 GHz this game drops fps and even lags, dropping 7 fps is heavy drop in 60fps game and lags, it's feels like I'm playing on i3 processor with Intel graphic. Since I bought this laptop my game Pubg mobile game fps always at max 59-60 fps and cpu temp never goes beyond 80-85 at max. but suddenly something happened 10 days ago and now my cpu is burning for no reason. 

But..But yesterday I was just randomly closing small processes in task manager just trying my luck and guess what happened suddenly magic happens and cpu temp goes stable (without 
    Throttlestop running), I thought lets check with everything so played game 3 hours and temp never went beyond 80 and no lags no fps drops. used youtube with full 4k 60fps videos and temp was at 65 and doen stress test and what even at full speed 3.9 Ghz temp not goes over 85. I don't know what did I close and suddenly my laptop work like It did before. so I haven't shutdown or restart my laptop for almost 14 hours fear of that process may start again which heating my cpu. and that 14 hours my cpu temp is so stable no heating nothing.
    And what, today when I start laptop and again Its start overheating for no reason, even opening youtube is cause temp to rise 95 degree just start game and temp goes 97 and stay at 95.
    Now I don't remember which app/process I closed yesterday because I again randomly closing processes but no help. But at least I got to know that some process is causing this cpu overheating.   
  • andylb
    Disable all the non essential processes in Task manager and re-enable them one at a time checking with the game each time. That way you will find out which one it is

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• dinesh9893
    andylb said:
    Disable all the non essential processes in Task manager and re-enable them one at a time checking with the game each time. That way you will find out which one it is
    Already tried that before and surprisingly it worked once.
    Once I tried to close unnecessary processes and suddenly temp got normal even in gaming but didn't know which app causing that so I restart and again tried closing processes one by one and check temp Everytime but didn't work. 
    Now I'm thinking to replacing my Windows 10 basic with Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise.
  • dinesh9893
    edited March 2020
    I replaced my Windows 10 basic with Windows 10 Pro and I don't even Install any software, literally nothing just stock windows 10 pro with basic drivers and Nitrosense and I play a 10 min HD video on Youtube in Microsoft edge and temps goes above 90 degree and stays above 85 for whole 10 min video and fans running like crazy, like above 5600 rpm whole time. Literally clicking anything and cpu temp to spike to 90s.
    What is wrong with machine. Now I'm sure something wrong with the hardware. and now I don't have any option but to call Acer support and ask them to change motherboard or whatever hardware which causing this.
  • Keyser61
    Keyser61 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, did you find a solution for your problem? I’m having the same problem for 2 months. It’s the same model with 1050 ti. I tried all solutions repasting, undervolting etc. and nothing solved my problem. If you solved it please let me know. 
  • Karlito
    Karlito Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    I replaced my Windows 10 basic with Windows 10 Pro and I don't even Install any software, literally nothing just stock windows 10 pro with basic drivers and Nitrosense and I play a 10 min HD video on Youtube in Microsoft edge and temps goes above 90 degree and stays above 85 for whole 10 min video and fans running like crazy, like above 5600 rpm whole time. Literally clicking anything and cpu temp to spike to 90s.
    What is wrong with machine. Now I'm sure something wrong with the hardware. and now I don't have any option but to call Acer support and ask them to change motherboard or whatever hardware which causing this.
    I read the complete thread and from what I understand all of this started almost suddenly. I do not know if its solved for you now. If yes, kindly let us know how you solved it. If no, my best guess is its something to do with the latest Windows update. Even a fresh copy of Windows wont help since the buggy update will still be in the new copy of Windows. Is your Windows installed on a SSD or HDD? Also, check your HDD/SSD usage where Windows is installed. Let us know.
  • jurgens37
    jurgens37 Member Posts: 4 New User
    The same thing is happening to my Acer Nitro 5..
    The weird thing is when I open task manager or CPU-Z the temperatures are returning to normal.. :/
  • jurgens37
    jurgens37 Member Posts: 4 New User
    The problem with Acer Nitro 5 A515 series is wifi.
    The moment that the laptop is plugged in and is connected to the wifi, the fans looks like a jet.. going above 5k RPM..
    I plugged my laptop with a lan cable and disabled the wifi.. the speed went back to normall and the fan noise is gonne..
    I suggest to everyone to do this.. even though its not the best solution :D
  • JoeExclamation
    JoeExclamation Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey guys, I HAVE THE SOLUTION!
    I suffer the  same problem and couldn't find the answer; the OP Dinesh came very close - opening the Task Manager, closing processes and then couldn't remember which one he closed. But the solution is TO JUST OPEN THE TASK MANAGER!
    That's it.
    As soon as you do the overheating 'magically' stops...

I have no idea what secret process is going on in the background, which is so nefarious it self-destructs as soon as you open the Task Manager, but it smells very fishy. As if Acer is farming out all Nitro 5 processors in a global network conspiracy???
    Anybody?

Hehe, well that's the solution anyhow.

Open Task Manager (and leave it open)
    Hope this helps,
    All the best, Joe!