Audio support from BIOS - PH517-61

Options
N7_X
N7_X Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, I'm dealing with an audio issue on Linux.  There is no audio from the headphone jack, despite lengthy troubleshooting attempts across several distributions and kernel versions.
The issue appears to be due to the BIOS not reporting the correct information to the OS.
Acer support referred me here, as I expected, as they said they are unable to help me.

Is there anyone with information regarding future BIOS support for this model, and as to whether or not this audio issue may be resolved?
Acer support was unable to provide me with any other contacts, so the community is my best bet, even though I'm not confident this is an issue that can be resolved here.

Thank you all!  I will gratefully accept any support for this.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good afternoon N7_X !

Which EXACT model of your laptop and which Linux distribution?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• N7_X
    Options
    Good afternoon MaClane,

I have the Predator Helios 500, ryzen edition, or PH516-61.
    I am using Linux Mint 19.3, with kernel 5.4.x amdgpu edition.

I've also tested Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.18.x, as well as Manjaro 18.0, kernel 4.19.x.
    I have an active thread on the Linux Mint forums where we're looking for a possible solution with what we've got to work with.

Thank you, I appreciate the response.
  • N7_X
    Options
    Typoed, that should be Predator Helios 500, 517-61 edition.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• N7_X
    Options
    Preliminary glance through those topic looks like I've already been through most of these options at the beginning, but thank you for checking!

Here's my active thread on the Linux Mint forums: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=312318
    We've been through a lot of troubleshooting there and we're currently trying workarounds to try to at least get it working.  I've also linked some other threads and discussions where other users of this laptop have run into the same issue(s).