Acer Switch SW5-173-64DH - Regular Windows 10 recovery image for Acer Switch

Options
icelava
icelava Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My cousin's son had been issued in primary school an Acer Switch SW5-173-64DH. Upon graduation, the school made the parents buy the old computers, for their "home" use. However it turned out the edition of Windows install on these models was a special education image that locked down some fundamental aspects of Windows; it takes an excruciatingly long time to sign in (with local user account) , and after that explorer.exe and even the Start menu cannot be invoked, rendering it totally useless.

Attempting to run explorer.exe from START + R pops an unholy error I've never ever seen before.
An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

Trying to get to Control Panel via "start control" yields
::{26EE0668-A00A-4407-9371-BEB064C98683}
An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

SFC and DISM will not find anything wrong with the OS despite the blatant foundational failure.

Since I could not get to the regular Settings UI to perform a Reset procedure, I went through various boot attempts to get into recovery mode to reset the OS from that avenue. After succeeding at that, I was disappointed to see even with a fresh overwritten copy of the OS, those same problems are still present, leading me to conclude the recovery image itself is modified to only operate in school domain environment. The education IT staff likely never considered students actually buying them over for home use.

Lenovo offers a Digital Download Recovery Service (DDRS) that I've used on many occasions to successfully wipe and prime existing or new SSDs in laptops. Does Acer have a similar service? I cannot find anything looking at the usual product support page.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/SG/content/support-product/6247?b=1&pn=NT.G74SG.001&sn=54501687534

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    If you are in the US or Canada Acer sells the recovery image via there store. Elsewhere in the world you have to contact Support. I am not sure, but I believe that SKU was preconfigured for educational use though so the recovery image is going to get you back to the same point you are now. Your best bet to convert it into a normal system is to purchase a Windows 10 license and do an install from that, replacing the educational build entirely. It'll cost a little more than than the recovery image but get you up and running without a lot of pain. Download first the WLAN drivers from the Acer support site and keep them handy on a flash drive so if Windows doesn't have them built in you can install them right after the OS install, then use the net to download and install any other missing drivers.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.