Default boot device missing or boot failed for nitro 5

Options
13»

Answers

• Aziroazide
    Aziroazide Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options
    andylb said:
    Okay so I just tried to do that twice now. Hold down alt while repeatedly tapping the f10 key and I still haven't seen the recovery screen setup. Do you have any other suggestions?

Sometimes Alt + F10 behaves oddly, try rebooting and at the Acer Logo press and hold them both down (don't tap just hold down) during the boot process, if that doesn't work Reboot and IMMEDIATELY (don't wait for the Acer Logo) hold them both down for 10 seconds

I've tried this too!! Couple of times. No result. It just goes back to that screen. 
    It's an endless cycle of windows boot manager, go default boot device missing or boot failed
    It's just like he said. 

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try setting and saving a BIOS supervisor password. The re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot. Save settings then exit again. Then re-try the ALT+F10 reset. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Aziroazide
    Options
    JackE said:
    Try setting and saving a BIOS supervisor password. The re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot. Save settings then exit again. Then re-try the ALT+F10 reset. Jack E/NJ
    Hello Jack, 
    Already tried that. The secure boot has been disabled and I restarted the system but no progress. Still it shows the same thing. 
  • Aziroazide
    Options
    Tried both secure boot disabled as well as enabled. Alt+F10 doesn't result to anything. 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you backed up the supplied acer operating system using the acer care center?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Aziroazide
    Options
    Have you backed up the supplied acer operating system using the acer care center?
    No, I dunno how to do that.
  • Aziroazide
    Options
    No, I dunno how to do that.
    I did have the Acer Care Centre installed but I never did recovery management option. Although if we reinstall OS, it will only affect C-Drive am I right? If so, I had no data in C-Drive except in the "Downloads" and "Documents" folder. As far as I've googled, Recuva and Wondershare can recover that for me after reinstalling new OS.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The best option is to reinstall windows:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Aziroazide
    Options
    The best option is to reinstall windows:

Okay, thank you soo much.
    1 final query: Can I retrieve my previous data after re-installing new OS with softwares such as Recuva or Wondershare?

Also, I've had a history of around 6-7 formats in last 2 months [during Oct-Dec '19] by the acer technician himself. And I've recently installed new HDD, in November-2019. I bought this laptop in July-2019. Since then it's been running into new problems almost every week. You can pull up complaint records using my SNID: 8450136634. 

Do you still recommend re-installing OS? I believe this will the 7th or 8th time it's getting reinstalled!!!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can recover the files by pressing shift + f10 in the windows installation and typing notepad.exe
    This is the best way to copy your files. On the other questions, when you press alt + f10, do these settings appear?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    Options
    Aziroazide>>>Alt+F10 doesn't result to anything. >>>

If you can make a bootable Windows installation stick using Microsoft's media creation tool  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, we can try to fix the EFI boot section of the HDD from the command prompt X : \windows\system32>_ in troubleshooting on the boot stick.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Aziroazide
    Options
    This is the best way to copy your files. On the other questions, when you press alt + f10, do these settings appear?
    No, these things do not appear, as I've quoted earlier also.

andylb said:
    Okay so I just tried to do that twice now. Hold down alt while repeatedly tapping the f10 key and I still haven't seen the recovery screen setup. Do you have any other suggestions?

Sometimes Alt + F10 behaves oddly, try rebooting and at the Acer Logo press and hold them both down (don't tap just hold down) during the boot process, if that doesn't work Reboot and IMMEDIATELY (don't wait for the Acer Logo) hold them both down for 10 seconds

I've tried this too!! Couple of times. No result. It just goes back to that screen. 
    It's an endless cycle of windows boot manager, go default boot device missing or boot failed
    It's just like he said. 

To ensure that I'm doing nothing wrong, I've looked up a couple of youtube videos to ensure too. But I'm doing the correct process. Still it doesn't result into nothing. Everytime it takes me back to that screen (as shown below!!!).
    Tried both secure boot disabled as well as enabled. Alt+F10 doesn't result to anything. 

• Aziroazide
    Options
    JackE said:

If you can make a bootable Windows installation stick using Microsoft's media creation tool  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, we can try to fix the EFI boot section of the HDD from the command prompt X : \windows\system32>_ in troubleshooting on the boot stick.

Jack E/NJ

Thanks Jack. I'm on it. Currently doing the same thing. 
    I'm using Rufus to make a bootable windows installer. I'll update you once I'm done with this.
  • Aziroazide
    Options
    JackE said:

Jack E/NJ

Hey Jack,
    Can you elaborate the procedure please. I've created an installation media using USB Flash drive. Now how do I get to the shell to troubleshoot?
  • Aziroazide
    Options
    JackE said:

Jack E/NJ

Hello again Jack,
    So I found this tutorial: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zZSIuQI0A&feature=emb_rel_pause) and it says something similar [6:20] to what you suggested. Here's what steps he suggested:
    Advanced option -> System recovery image -> "terminal opens up"            [which in my case isn't showing up at all]
    >C:
    >dir
    >cd \windows\system32\config
    >md backup_name
    >copy *.* backup_name
    >cd regback
    >dir
    >copy *.* ..
    >A    (if asked for overwriting)

After that it says to restart the system and it should work!!.
    Well I dont expect that to happen but in my case I'd have to re-install new OS after the last step am I right?

I'm waiting for your approval before proceeding. Kindly lemme know if that's ok!

• Aziroazide
    Options
    JackE said:

Jack E/NJ

Hello again Jack,
    So I found this tutorial: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zZSIuQI0A&feature=emb_rel_pause) and it says something similar [6:20] to what you suggested. Here's what steps he suggested:
    Advanced option -> System recovery image -> "terminal opens up"            [which in my case isn't showing up at all]
    >C:
    >dir
    >cd \windows\system32\config
    >md backup_name
    >copy *.* backup_name
    >cd regback
    >dir
    >copy *.* ..
    >A    (if asked for overwriting)

After that it says to restart the system and it should work!!.
    Well I dont expect that to happen but in my case I'd have to re-install new OS after the last step am I right?

I'm waiting for your approval before proceeding. Kindly lemme know if that's ok!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update:
    So I tried to reinstall myself after watching a couple of youtube videos.
    So after the language selection, region and currency selection screen; after I pressed next. The screen went completely blank (black). I left it for half an hour and then had to force shut down in. After a reboot, the system got stuck at Acer logo screen. So I force shut down it again and this time I removed the USB stick too, went to BIOS options and saw my HDD wasn't showing in the boot menu.
    It's showing in the info menu but not in the boot order menu.

Also, since then, when I try to boot using USB stick, It goes back to the black screen, with fans running at maximum speed. I've now left it running in the same condition for more than an hour now, still no progress -> only that black screen. 

I tried contacting Acer tech support but they can't send a technician due to current Covid situation. Even no stores are open.
  • JackE
    Options
    Press and hold the power button till the machine completely shuts off. Then with the bootable Win10 installation USB inserted, turn the machine back on again. You must get to the advanced or troubleshooting section to get to the command prompt. The command prompt should be a black screen with white letters  'X : \ windows\system32\>_ '. If you don't see this command prompt, STOP! You're not at the right place or something's wrong with the boot stick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DMD29867
    DMD29867 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Was this ever resolved?  I am have the exact same problem. And I only see the first 3 pages of this thread.
  • JackE
    edited May 2021
    Options

This thread was started 18mos again and no new responses for 12mos. So it's best for you to start your own new thread because sometimes folks move on and don't report back with results good or bad. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ