Acer Predator Z35P35" curved 1800RQHD2560x1080NVID - Monitor Aspect Ratio When Purchasing a Laptop

Options
0hGod
0hGod Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 14 in 2020 Archives
Hi all!  Was here several months back and was helped with my question in regard to a KVM Switch.  Thanks!  I just can't remember my email addy or I entered it incorrectly, so I am newly posting ... :) 

In ANY case, I need help, please, in regard to understanding aspect ratios a little more fully.

I have an Acer Predator Z35P 35" curved 1800R QHD 2560x1080 NVIDIA G-SYNC Z35P-BMIPHZ monitor to which I have two laptops connected via the aforementioned KVM switch, both of which are set to a resolution of 3440x1440.  The thing is, I received a hand-me-down Lenovo W541 Thinkpad i7-4710QM laptop that had no HDMI output, only a VGA one, and I could not get it to show up on my monitor with either a VGA to HDMI or VGA to DP adapter.  As I plan to give one of my current laptops to my niece and I am looking for another, I wanted to ask if there is anything in particular that I should be looking for when purchasing one, so that it is compatible with my monitor.  Do some laptops just not work with this monitor?  

Thanks!!!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    You have to watch out with adapter cables, so many of them only convert in one direction. So a VGA to DP is quite different from a DP to VGA. You may just be running into that and the display would work fine, though possibly with a squished screen, using the VGA port on the Thinkpad. It's also possible the Thinkpad has a toasted port. Your monitor has a 21:9 (or close enough for marketing purposes) ratio and most, if not all, modern GPUs support that. I wouldn't think you'd have troubles with anything less than 5-6 years old.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 0hGod
    Options
    Interesting.  How would I know which way it converts?  I purchased a DisplayPort (DP) Male to VGA Male Cable Cord to fit in Thinkpad VGA output and monitor input (as in picture).  It's mostly out of curiosity that I ask now because I gave the laptop back seeing as I could not connect it, so no worries if it's too much to explain. :)

In regard to another laptop, however, that I do need a little more info on.  I purchased an ASUS G751J i7-4710HQ 2.50GHz 32GB GTX 860M 500GB SSD/1TB HDD with Windows 10 Home, but I don't know what year is was manufactured.  This one has both an HDMI port and a VGA, though.  I figure since it has the HDMI port I should be safe.  Thoughts, please?  

Thank you.

• 0hGod
    Options
    P.S.  The ASUS says:  max resolution is 1920 x 1080, but I thought the ones I currently have at 3440x1440 also said that.  :(  Did I jump the gun and buy something that won't work with my monitor?   

Thanks again.
  • zampal
    zampal Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Does the z35 monitor have the capability of pbp and pip
  • 0hGod
    Options
    Hello! 

Sorry for the late reply but I did communicate with the seller and if the ASUS G751 does not work with the monitor, I can return it.  As for the Z35, I do not know what pbp is, but it does NOT have pip (picture in picture, right?).  EDIT:  Okay, just Googled both, and no, it has neither that I have ever seen an option for. 

Also, pretty much, these are the preset "modes" that can be chosen

To be honest, it's a pretty standard monitor except for being huuuge and curved.  In fact, one of the reasons for buying it, was that I read about (and downloaded) a special "light show" supposedly created by Acer just for this monitor ... and I have no idea how to get it to run on the monitor.  I contacted Acer when I first purchased it so that they could help me with getting my laptops to recognize it as a named (Z35) monitor, but they couldn't, so it still reads as a "Generic PNP Monitor).  The picture I used for the connections is a stock picture, because mine come out dark and fuzzy (as you can see) in comparison, but mine is connected to two laptops via the HDMI port into a 2-port KVM Switch and it works well.

Will edit when I receive the laptop later today and will say if it worked or not in case others like me are at some point are looking for similar info.