Acer Predator XB271HU Ghost Image Problem

MoogyMonster
MoogyMonster Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited February 14 in 2020 Archives
I have a growing issue my with Acer predator XB271HU where bright images are causing a ghosting (or temporary burn-in) effect in my monitor. Below is an image showing this problem; note the ghosting look is not a software/blur/transparent issue - that ghosting is actually in the monitor itself (the IPS) and it takes minutes to fade away. Note it only takes a minute or two for a ghosted image to "embed" itself.

I contacted Acer support and did a hard reset of the monitor (unplug all and hold power for 30 seconds) and it appeared to solve the issue at that time, however a day later, my monitor was doing the exact same thing and now a hard reset does not solve the issue.

Now that I've switched over to a completely dark background, whenever I do have a light background window come up (e.g. explorer or notepad) and if I have focus on it for a few minutes, when I switch back to the dark background, as seen in the image, the ghost of the light background takes minutes to fade.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and how can one fix it?

Answers

• MoogyMonster

Tinkerer

So nobody from Acer is in these forums? Sad to post this and have absolutely no responses :(
  • Hi,
    Could you please try Overdrive settings, I don't know much about it but have a look at the personal message I have sent, the instructions are in the link, I am just another user of Acer products and not an employee.
  • MoogyMonster

Tinkerer

Interesting; I'll be sure to check this out - thank you for the referral!
  • Also, try to decrease the display refresh rate.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MoogyMonster

Tinkerer

Also, try to decrease the display refresh rate.
    Why would I want to do that? I purchased this monitor specifically for the 144hz refresh rate :)
  • It would only be to check if the problem may be related to the update rate. It would be interesting for you to also inform if the monitor is under warranty.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MoogyMonster

Tinkerer

Ahh gotcha; sadly, the monitor is no longer under Warranty (if it's just 1 year). And unfortunately, none of the recommended adjustments have made a difference :(
  • Does the problem remain, even if you disable the overdrive?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MoogyMonster

Tinkerer

Does the problem remain, even if you disable the overdrive?
    Sadly, yes :(
  • Have you checked with technical support, if there is any firmware available for this model?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Khalil4564
    Khalil4564 Member Posts: 1 New User
    i have same moniter i swear i buy it since 2017 from amazon   in iraq i  buy 1100$ i swear and its  ***** monitor ghosting /overshoot  everything  bad i hate asus so i decide dont buy anything  from  asus again   trashshit company
  • I don't understand why users confuse Acer with Asus. They are different brands, but I always had good products from both brands

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MoogyMonster

Tinkerer

egydiocoelho said:
    Have you checked with technical support, if there is any firmware available for this model?
    So, Acer has officially told me they looked at the images in this thread and said "this is normal" for my monitor, which is utterly absurd as I did not have the problem when the monitor was new. Who on earth would think this sort of persistent ghosting for 1-2 MINUTES was normal (or acceptable) for a $750 144Hz IPS monitor? Something is very wrong with Acer support; oh and this comment was from Acer CORPORATE. *sigh*
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited February 2020
    No, ghosts on the display are not normal. What I said is that I always had good products from both brands. Did you check with Acer support if there is a newer firmware available? Also, when you disable overdrive, the problem continues, as asked by colleague brummyfan2?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MoogyMonster

Tinkerer

No, ghosts on the display are not normal. What I said is that I always had good products from both brands. Did you check with Acer support if there is a newer firmware available? Also, when you disable overdrive, the problem continues, as asked by colleague brummyfan2?
    When I look up my Serial Number, I don't see any new firmware options, and changing the Overdrive settings seems to have no impact.
    I am quite concerned their support (AND corporate!) told me my issue is "normal" for the monitor. I feel like I'm dealing with the DMV. Would be great to connect with somebody at Acer that has actual technical knowledge and cares about investigating the unusual issue I've encountered.
  • Well, despite being a different problem, there was a firmware update for this monitor model, see: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/593616/#Comment_593616
    Maybe you can for some moderator, what this firmware fixes

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MoogyMonster

Tinkerer

Well, despite being a different problem, there was a firmware update for this monitor model, see: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/593616/#Comment_593616
    Maybe you can for some moderator, what this firmware fixes
    Yup, I have version 20160526. Sadly, it doesn't look like Acer ever released a tool or means to update the firmware myself - unless you're aware of a way to do this?
  • There is a possibility to update the firmware via the DP cable. However, I also haven't found a link that contains the latest firmware.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MoogyMonster

Tinkerer

Yah, at this point, I regret ever getting this monitor. Now I'm supposed to package it myself (risking they claim I didn't package it right), ship it to them, wait two weeks (without a main monitor) and get a "repaired" panel back. Oh, and they said if it can't be repaired they will refund me the PRORATED amount. On top of that if I ship it back in the original box, they won't return the original box.

Acer is truly a horrible company, and not once has anyone working for Acer even commented in this thread. I guess this explains their 2-star rating online.
  • No ACE user works for Acer. Only the moderators and the administrator work for Acer. We have no way of knowing when a new firmware will be released or tested, without Acer launching it on the site.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer